Suspension, Steering and Brakes 2004 Honda Accord huming noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 10th May, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Helen car has been making a droning sound from the rear of the car ever since it crossed 100k miles. So today came back from work stripped the rear to inspect the brakes pads ,calipers and disc just to make sure it was not the brake pads binding.

Stripped & cleaned it and the rear brakes were spot on...on manual rotation by hand it felt sweet too with no play whatsoever.

Took it round the corner the noise is still there :Angry: Looks like I will have to replace the bearings.

Will keep you posted on this.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Any movement when you wobbled the wheel top and bottom?

3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Does sound bearing like

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    nope the two drop links (replaced not so long ago) and the top mounts are fine ARB bushes fine too. The only two things are the parking brake shoes binding or the bearing.

We will soon find out tomorrow when its stripped.

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah...you going over to Stoke?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup ordered them today next day delivery can't ask for more. I was supposed to take my 1st Generation for its MOT, due to the lousy weather that been put back.

Ideally opportunity to get Helen car sorted, since we are off to Edinburgh for a weekend break and that noise will drive me nuts.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    sounds like either beaings or tyres, but i know you keep your tyres tip top. could be one of the bearings CJ, did you give the wheels a good spin when off the ground?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Both rear tyres are at 6 bud,when I spun the wheel of the ground you can hear the normal occasional pad touch but no other noise.

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got same noise on my car.I am hoping is the tyres due to age and mileage of my car.will report back when I change tyres.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quick update the bearings are fine,the tyres are the culprits ,the both rear tyres have developed uneven wear on the inner edge. You can't see this physically but when you get you finger tip on the edge you can feel the wear.

The root cause will be the toe which is out of spec,I will have to get well alignment done . Even with the alignment sorted these tyres will still contuine to drone.My issue is these tyres are new with 5000 miles on them , to replace them for a quite car is spending 250 quid. I will just have to get the radio up.:Ermm:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zoran,
    Just check your rear tyres for uneven wear , then get your car on a hunter wheel alignment machine. Then your fresh tyres have a fighting chance of giving you the performance you need. This episode on Helen car just re-emphasises the need for yearly wheel alignment checks.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i did have a look at the tyres and they seem to be wearing evenly but they need changing soon so will see what happens when i change them.
    I didnt have this car on Hunter alignment yet but yes i will do it .
    Thanks for advice.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am kicking myself for not picking this up earlier, mind you the car drives in a straight line and since Helen drive it more than me I was none the wiser.

I blame Helen for not picking this up , when she gets my car I will have to do 6 monthly checks.:Whistle: