Daily Driver 2004 Honda Civic Type-S

7th Generation (2001-2005) vehicle added by RogerH69, Wednesday 3rd Sep, 2014

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 added a new Honda to the garage:

My Second Honda :Smile:

Check the vehicle's full information here.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 3rd Sep, 2014
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    She's looks like a tidy, clean car :Thumbup:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A good find. Think you'll have some fun there. :Grin:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Looks like a good specimen indeed @RogerH69, look forward to seeing more of you getting stuck in with her :Smile:

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

RogerH69 updated 2004 Honda Civic Type-S

View updates to this showcase item...

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    She looks lovely, I was going to buy my missus one of these a few years ago. Hope she treats you well.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Minus a little spot of rust repair on the boot door, the body looks in great condition. Bay definitely needs a bit of TLC but overall she looks like a good starting point for a project :Smile:

9. Nighthawk Guest

Its always nice to tinker around on a new car, kind of like a new house, you want to put your own stamp on it. Try to get that rust sorted out sooner rather than later before it gets out of hand if you can.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm quite the same, nothing quite like the beginnings of your life with a car. Agreed on the rust, though the grime around the rocker cover would be screaming at me first :Laughing:

11. Nighthawk Guest

Roger, if you can, I would remove that chrome trim on the boot, see how far that rust has gone. If its just that small spot and its surface rust only, you should be able to sort it out yourself and save a bit of cash hopefully. I agree with the grime, hopefully a date between the new girl and a jetwash in her engine bay is on the horizon :Laughing:

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah I didn't know the rust was there till I took the photo today. For the rest, she looks almost new. Is a normal Karcher pressure washer ok to spray inside the engine bay ?.

Agree about getting the rust sorted soon. I left it too late on my old A4 and had to replace the whole near side front panel. Would that trim on the boot lid just 'pop off' - i.e. something I could do myself ?

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

From what I understand, perfectly fine as other members do it. I'm not sure what areas you need to be careful of, @Ichiban should be able to advise.

I'm not too familiar with the 7th Generation Civic, but they normally either pop off with some light pressure from a trim removal tool, or you remove the boot liner from the inside and unscrew it from there. Another member can hopefully help.

B__5500.

RogerH69 likes this.
  15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend (if the weather holds out)

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take the lance off the karcher trigger handle you don’t want to get high pressure on the engine, especially on the corrugated front condenser and radiator the fins will easily bend with high pressure.

RogerH69 likes this.
  17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So my Mini 0801 arrived this morning, and I thought I'd have a go at installing it, as the guide by @Chunkylover53 made it look so easy.

It really was quite easy to do, except that the supplied charger cable was a little short for the way I wanted to run the cable. Luckily, I still had the charger from my NextBase 402G Pro which is a little longer (puts out 1A as opposed to the 2A put out by the charger that came with the Mini 0801) and I used that instead. Once measuring the cable was long enough, I got to work, starting at the mounting point (this way I know there isn't spare cable hanging loose when done), working my way around the rood lining and side trim, as per the @Chunkylover53 guide. I've included pictures below showing as I went along, including how to get the glovebox to fold down and give easy access to running cables behind it (this had me confused for a few minutes as I thought I would have to take the whole thing out). I wanted to get this done without having to actually remove any of the trim.

Cable entering the roof trim
    IMG_20140906_130552.

And then down the side ( at some points it was a little tight and I had to just carefully push it through a little more forcefully with a screwdriver / finger, ensuring I don't damage cable / trim)
    IMG_20140906_130713.

Dashboard is way too snug against the side here, so wasn't going to try and force the cable behind it. I've ordered some self adhesive cable guides (see below) that I'll use to tidy this up. Note - I (luckily, as I needed it after all) left a little bit of 'slack' at the bottom of the windscreen (by pushing it behind the dash) to allow me a little bit of play if I need to adjust the location of the cam mount without feeding the entire cable again.
    IMG_20140906_131213.

Getting it behind the trim here is quite easy, just pull it back from the door seal (not too hard) and feed the cable behind.
    IMG_20140906_131236.

At this stage, I had to get the glovebox open
    IMG_20140906_131251.

Which I did as below (it shows the cable already fed behind as I took this picture after completing).
    Pushing in from the sides allows the glovebox to simply tilt all the way down (empty it first :Rolf:)
    IMG_20140906_132015.

And I fed the cable behind it and out the top.
    IMG_20140906_131723.

I HID the slack behind the glovebox and closed the glovebox again and then popped the charger into the cigarette lighter.. When I don't want to use the in-car cam, I can put the charger away in the glovebox.
    IMG_20140906_131919.

After cleaning the windscreen, I stuck the mount where I wanted it and connected the cable. Job done, total of about 20 minutes work and no trim needing removal (a free hanging glovebox don't count as removing trim :Grin:)
    IMG_20140906_133625.

Sorry for the reflections on the windscreen.
    IMG_20140906_133646.

I've ordered some self adhesive cable guides/clips (see below) that I will use to keep the cable that runs along the dashboard in place, as well as one just above the mirror, as the cable goes under the roof lining. Not sure which would fit / look best, so ordered 2 different types.

Bluelounge CableDrop, Cable Management and Tidy in Black - 6 Pack
    Black Hard Plastic Sticky Base Cable Tie Fixed Holder for 8mm Cable Wide

As I am receiving 100 of the second one listed (and will probably only use 2 or 3), if anyone would like some for a project they are doing, let me know via private message and I'd be happy to mail them to you at no charge (max of 10 per person, but please specify the amount you need)

- EDIT -
    As I will be using my phone as my sat nav for the time being, I will be using an adapter that splits the cigarette lighter into 2 (Dual 2 Way 12V Car Cigarette Socket Lighter Power Splitter). This looks pretty ugly sticking out of the cigarette lighter, I went ahead and ordered a Dual 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Adaptor Power Socket Splitter Lead, which I will hide away in the glovebox.

Last edited: Saturday 6th Sep, 2014
  18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent write up @RogerH69 - only thing I would recommend is going over the printing on the camera with a black permanent marker to make it less obvious that you have a dash cam installed.

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks and good point, I never thought of that :Smile:

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You're not hanging around Roger, good write-up right there. With the cable clips it shouldn't look too out of place at all :Smile: