Engine & Gearbox 2005 2.2 i-CTDi New Clutch failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by johnny boy, Sunday 10th Nov, 2013.

1. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    Hi guys! aim new here i bought a accord 2005 I-CDTI…now had problems with transmission and got the dual mass changed but after that during test driving the car just heard something snapped or was disconnected then i lost drive….even the car is in gear and you release the clutch the car won't move as if it was in neutral….we removed the air cleaner and checked the gear but it was ok… i am really puzzled with this…can anyone help me please

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: transmission/ gearbox

Who fitted the new DMF and clutch and did they use the special Honda clutch alignment tool to align the clutch and pretension it ?

- - - Updated - - -

Heres what the alignment tool looks like, its a must on a I-CDTI clutch change.

2013-04-27 10.46.14.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: transmission/ gearbox

yup spot on Speedy that tool aligns the pretensions the kit correctly. Fitting a brand part without this special tool is just a waste of money.

4. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    Sorry just logged back in now..I had to change the whole thing with brand new ones....everythings okay now...but lately i am having problem putting the gear in reverse...i don't know why..my mechanic told me that it automatically adjusts...just wondering why i can't reverse it sometimes...sometimes i have to clutch it several tines before the gear sticks

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Maybe worth having the clutch fluid replaced.

6. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    Okay.but my mechanic did not use that kit in putting on the new flywheel and clutch....

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well the clutch will not be aligned nor preloaded and that is why you have the issues.

8. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    Is that the reason why sometimes i have difficulties putting the gear in reverse?

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i wouldn say its the clutch causing your issue with reverse, not unless you have a general problem selecting all gears. caunt be ruled out though, but certainly if it hasnt been pre loaded with a clutch plate compression tool you will definatly have problems with clutch slip and need to replace the clutch again. it won't have affected the flywheel but you will need to fit a new clutch with the preasure plate pre-loaded before it is tightened into place. your selection problem could be due to the selector cables fitted incorrectly or somthing has fallen onto the top of the gear box blocking the selector arm. failing that, i have seen some ''mechanics'' try to fill the gearbox using the selector arm pre-load spring bolt hole. if the ball bearing was lost and not re-fitted it can certainly have an effect on selection. unfortunatly having a ''mechanic'' who isnt familiar with your car fit a clutch, there could be a multitude of things that may have been done incorrectly causing the problems your now experiancing. i suggest you give them a kick up the backside or get it done propperly and have someone do the job propperly for you.

10. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    thanks adam! but actually it does not happen all the time but i will get someone to get it checked again..

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When they changed the clutch they have to drain the MTF , did they use the right oil and the right quantity? or was it refilled with the old MTF?

12. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    Yeah he did change the fluid...but don't know how much they put in

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    As far as i can remember it was a valvoline

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right find out was it engine oil used or MTF, the wrong grade can lead to poor shifting and damage. The tranny need 2.6 litres of ideally Honda MTF.

16. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    it was definitely a transmission fluid....

cj anyway do you know someone who's selling a eibach pro kit for an accord 05?

17. johnny boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

John Barnet
    I will see my mechanic as week and get the gears checked

Ichiban likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No bud not aware of anyone selling springs you and when you see the sales section you could start a "Wanted WTB" thread