Electrical & Lights 2005 2.2CTDi VSA warning light help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by philmo, Friday 22nd Feb, 2013.

1. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My wife has a 2005 2.2CTDi, which has done 125k.

We brought the car with the VSA light on, with the knowledge that there would be a big price to correct this via the normal channels.

The dealer quoted around £1700 I recall.

It did pass the MOT last year, and drives fine. The local garage that did the MOT did say this year reg changes mean it might not pass - Can anyone verify this ?.

I really would like to get this sorted once and for all, and from a few years back recall a suggestion that you could send the module off to be re-set - can anyone help with this.

I am sure this is not a new post for this topic, so very sorry if I have created a new post for this subject.

Also a new member - so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance.

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Phil. There can be all sorts of things wrong with the VSA system that will put the light on. First thing you need to do is have the code read. This has to be done by either a Honda dealer or someone with top equipment (Snap On etc) who can read manufacturer specific fault codes.

It may just be a wheel sensor which is an easy replacement. If it is the VSA module a replacement or repair is required. The price you quoted is about right for a new one fitted by Honda. You can get it repaired (unsure as to the success). BBA reman I believe are one such company but there may be others put there. First thing though get the codes read!

3. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Paul, appreciated. I think the previous onwer did have this checked by a dealer - I will call them to double check.

Any ideas if this might pass an MOT with the light on ?.

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Phil
    It will not pass the MOT now with the light on.
    But you can now send off the VSA unit if faulty to be repaired. BBA Reman say they can repair them.

5. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok Rob, had conflicting info last year - when local MOT centre told me if the VSA light was on - but the ABS was out it would pass. Looks like I need to contact BBA Reman.
    Not that it helps, but Honda really do seam to of failed here - seeing the level on issues in various forums.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It would have passed beginning of last year but won't now.

This link will allow you download the MOT inspection manual.

MOT testing manuals and guides

If you download the Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles.
    Look at section 3.4 and it covers VSA lights. They call it ESP and ESC but its the same thing.

Mike1000 likes this.
  7. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Damn it, I might have to submit it in hope to the MOT testing garage that advised it might be ok in hope it will sneak through - seems unlikely though.
    Or get a nice big sticker to go over this damn light.

Can see this is going to cost me.

tks

8. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil

You need to know what the fault code is. Any decent garage will have a code reader/diagnostics. You're shooting in the dark if you don't know the fault code.

I've just cured a VSA light problem - I had code 25-1 - Yaw Rate Sensor Failure. I bought a second hand one for £43 and it fixed the problem. IF you have 66-1 - its a bit more serious. But, instead of coughing £1,700, 66-1 can be fixed via a repair for about £189 plus labour for removal and re-fitting. It's a 3-5 day turn around (the pressure sensor fails in the modulator).

But, you need to know the code first. You are shooting in the dark without it ...

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not strictely true. To read the code from the VSA system you need a Honda HDS system. Not many places will have those.

BSR67, didn't CJ (IchibanAccord) kindly read your code off for you for free ?

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A snap on reader can also read the VSA codes.
    Not just a standard obd reader.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah yes forgot about those.

12. BSR67 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ did. But my local garage was also able to read the code and fault.

13. philmo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Local garage seem sure they will pass it with VSA light on, as long as ABS fault light is out (which it is). Will speak to Honda as they might have a record of the fault report from the previous owner. Thanks

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd say that's wrong, the guidelines are quite clear that if the light is illuminated it will fail.(or as they call it rejected).
    Here is a link of the new rules that came in last year.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/MOT-changes-2012.html