Engine & Gearbox 2005 FR-V 2.0 Sport, Engine management light

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by DaveMck, Wednesday 15th May, 2013.

1. DaveMck Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks,

Newbie to the forum here, looking for advice. Having hunted around google and previous posts, finding nothing, figured it was time to start asking the experts! I'd really appreciate any advice anyone might have with my apparently poorly FR-V.

Car history; '05 2.0 sport that's covered 82k, always keep it serviced (me & prev. owner have used mostly independent garages over last few years, with last service in March), no previous history of problems (apart from needing a sill welded for corrosion!!)

Started the car up this morning, and the EML stayed on. Car is behaving normally & drives fine. Does go over 2.5k rev

Have tried leaving it 30secs at 2nd ignition position, but doesn't clear.

Tested battery with multimeter - giving about 12.4-12.5v, stays at 14.5v firmly when running, and doesn't go under 10.6v on startup.

Realise I'll probably be needing to take it to a garage for a fault code to be found, but wondered whether it's worth disconnecting battery overnight and seeing if that'd clear it?

Anybody had any experience of issues that caused the EML to complain?

Fingers crossed it's not going to be painfully expensive! Haven't been able to find many examples of this as a problem.

2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Without a fault code it is a guesswork.
    It could be electrical glitch and it throwed EML and now need clearing.
    Best have codes read and see what it says.
    Not sure on battery disconnecting, never had to do it myself.
    Fingers crossed it's nothing.
  3. DaveMck Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, Zoran. Went ahead and ordered a fault code reader for a mere 20 quid. Will be a handy tool to have, and will probably cost less than taking it into a garage for them to do exactly the same thing. Will keep updated, as someone else might have this happen too at some point!
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC at your mileage I would be inclined to say its the O2 sensor but the code reader may give you the definitive reason for the MIL being lit. Keep us posted.
  5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Strange CJ but for no reason at all I was going to guess at 02 sensor as well. Hopefully its not a Honda specific code and the generic really will tell.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup you are bang on if it a Honda code the generic code will not show that up.
  7. Emeye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How did you get on OP? Which Fault Code reader did you purchase? Was it any good?
  8. DaveMck Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Well - seems like it's solved itself! Driving into work yesterday, EML went out and hasn't as yet reappeared.
    Code reader also arrived today (21 quid with postage for D900 EODB/ODBII reader from a well-known auction site!)
    Read the DTCs, and had only the 1.
    P2184, Engine coolant temperature sensor 2 circuit low.

Hasn't come back yet, and was the only stored code in the car. Fingers crossed it was just glitch, but will keep an eye on things from now on.

Very pleased with the reader - feels a bit cheap n cheery, but does the job. Came in a nice case too :Smile:
  9. Emeye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good news! Does your reader allow you to reset the codes? Oh, and where is the plug hidden?

I have an old USB cable that I used with free software for my Alfa GTV and also with VAG cars - I wonder if there is similar software for the Honda? Then again I think my cable cost more than £20 when I bought it years ago!

Cheers. :Smile:
  10. DaveMck Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep - reader allows reset of DTC codes, but not airbag/service stuff. The FR-V plug is in the driver footwell, on the left side. Sort of follow the trim up from the clutch on the side and you can't miss it.

On the one I bought, you select the vehicle manufacturer from a list - there's tons on there. It also explains what the codes are, so you don't need to look em up! Before the postage, it was only 17.95 - really seems a steal for the price. If you google for D900 code reader, you'll get plenty of images/ads.

Definitely a handy tool to have, I think! Given that a garage will probably charge more than the cost of the reader just to check, worth having one around.
    Last edited: Friday 17th May, 2013