General 2005 honda CR-V diesel not starting after a journey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kimroberts, Tuesday 2nd Jul, 2013.

1. kimroberts Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

after a journey of more than 30 minutes - if the car is stopped and you attempt to restart it within 5 to 10 minutes then it frequently doesn't!
    when you turn on the ignition all the lights light up and then go out as normal
    when you turn the key it makes the normal start up noise but the engine never catches
    if you leave it 15 minutes plus it starts up straight away.
    so far no error showing on the historic system record.
    cr left running by the garage for some time then stopped and restarted straight away after new water temperature sensor fitted and tested however drove car next day stopped after 1 hour drive and car wouldn't start again until rested for 15 minutes.
    any ideas as to what i should direct garage to check.
    taking car on 1500 plus mile journey in 7 days and have visions of pushing car off diesel station forecourt every time i fill up!
    kind regards to all
    kim

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome Was the fuel filter changed recently with a non genuine fuel filter?

3. kimroberts Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

many thanks
    major service being done friday but this was after garage had carried out its investigations into the fault so ...

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry Kim was this service done with genuine Honda parts or at a local garage using aftermarket parts?

5. kimroberts Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

historically my understanding is yes. will double check that it is so on imminent service.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You haven't accidentally mis-fuelled your car with petrol recently or in the past have you? as these symptoms are typically seen on mis-fuelled cars

7. kimroberts Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes! but nearly 1.5 years ago and tank was fully pumped out on forecourt

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    So you didn't switch on the ignition (fuel pump) with the petrol in the tank and all was pumped out straigth away?

CJ, high pressure fuel pump or injectors? Caused by left overs of petrol?

9. kimroberts Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

all pumped out straight away. engine never turned over. power steering on.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry for the late response Geert and Kimroberts, If the fuel was drained ASAP without starting then the damage will be limited but you can never guarantee what happens down the road.

Geert it could be a bit of both if there was trace of petrol which kick started the wear early?

KimRoberts any updates on this ?