Daily Driver 2005 StepWGN

Other Honda Models vehicle added by jd1959, Saturday 27th Dec, 2014

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Hello all, not sure if this is the right spot but it would probably fall under mods. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my '05 RG1 Stepwgn hopefully in January. The question becomes has anyone here heard of a successful navigation change from the JDM to the maps/language for Europe and how did one go about it? Also has anyone successfully added a tuner to turn the digital terrestrial tv signals saorview/freeview into something useable for the tv tuner built in? As I don't have it yet I can't really give any more details as to the exact system if a photo of the dash helps see attached.

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts.
    Zack

download.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My first thoughts are that we need to identify which Sat Nav system is used, in Europe at the moment, there's 5 different types being used. Two DVD, a HDD, SD and SSD. I would assume it also share one of those underlying platforms, that will dictate the method of converting it to European maps if indeed the platform supports it. As the systems are shared between multiple markets, you often can,

The maps don't dictate the system language, so that's another hurdle. I'd hope it would be as simple as using some UK firmware, @Holdcroft Honda might know more about this.

As for the TV tuner, do you know if it's an analogue tuner built in? It may even have inputs by default which makes it pretty easy. Even if it doesn't have any inputs by default, using the pin-out diagrams it should be possible to pass any video signal wanted to the display - however Japan uses the NTSC standard and not the PAL we use here in Europe. If it's a standard definition screen, it's likely 480p and 50hz. Whatever input would have to match that.

It'll be easier to go through all this once you've got the car, I'm actually importing a JDM Honda hopefully just after Christmas so will have similar questions to answer for myself!

Congrats on your purchase btw, definitely want lots of pictures and info when she arrives :Smile:

3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Excellent stuff, hopefully we can exchange tips and ideas along the way. I'm pretty sure its a HDD system in the glove-box, and a inbuilt analogue tuner but as you say it'll be easier to identify when I have it in my driveway. I'll need to check with Honda here if they would do anything with it software wise, they are happy to sell me parts but don't want a grey import in their service bays.

In eager anticipation I've started compiling common part numbers, ordered my owners manual (place in New Zealand does English translation versions let me know if you are in need of the address), and am thinking of all the fun stuff to play with TV and Navigation included. Now just to get it in the docks, customs check, VAT, VRT, NCT, Insured and Motor taxed.... probably getting a bit ahead of myself.

When I have more info I'll put it up. Thanks for the reply.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Definitely, I'm not after a Stepwgn but another model with similar DNA. I can't say more as I keep telling everyone here I'm not sharing yet :Laughing:

I know many dealers turn their head at grey imports, but I'm not certain whether that's something Honda stipulate, a franchise policy or just the service manager putting his foot down - but I will find out as it's useful to know. I should be able to get more info on it and the navigation in general, I'll keep this post updated.

If you get stuck on any part numbers, just give me a shout too.

Y'know English translations of JDM manuals would be extremely helpful, could you PM the address?

I've got all that fun stuff still ahead, first time importing so I'm going to be going through all the hoops and what not. I'm hoping to get one on the road by the end of February, though that may be ambitious if I don't get it brought and shipped soon :Whistle:

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks for that Zoran, at least I have some reading material and a direction to go now. Just getting a video input would be fantastic it would open up all kinds of opportunities with tablets/laptops and games to keep the kiddies occupied. Would also solve the navigation issue if its too much of a headache to use the on board systems by displaying the tablet/phone navigation output. Throw in mobile broadband a few extra screens.... now to see just how deep the pocket is.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wanted TV mod for so long but there is always something in the way(money wise).
    One day i will do it,just not sure when LOL.

Here is a little video from that member

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Well now I've been rooting around and found a few different navigation screen av input hack/devices (thanks again for the info zoran) so adding a video signal shouldn't be too big of an issue. The navigation on the other hand will be a bit more of a problem. From what I can gather if it is the InterNavi system that I think it is then there isn't much to be done but leave it alone and use the few bits that are available. I found a good bit about the system on MyOdyssey Motorsports Club Malaysia Forum • Index page (with some translation help) including the Bluetooth phone setup process and an English menu tree translation on Dropbox - Internavi Command Tree RB3.pdf I'll probably stop looking for the time being until I know which system for sure is in the bus, but if anyone in the meantime has anything useful or good ideas please feel free to chime in.
    - - - Updated - - -
    :sorry::offtopic:Also was wanting to add I ran across a blog ステップワゴンライブラリ StepWgn Library -SWL where cruse control was added to a Stepwgn but should in theory work with any model and some other interesting modifications like an additional push button for the electric doors and walk-thorough on trim panel removal. Must get me some of those plastic trim tools masking tape on the screwdrivers works OK but still sometimes marks :no: off to look on ebay.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I and @Ichiban are going to start researching this in some more depth soon, once you've got the system confirmed, hopefully we can start trialling a few things to get it converted over :Smile: There is a couple of JDM specific navigations which were not released in other countries, hopefully this isn't the case.

I've had a chat with a few people working at dealerships since last night, the feedback has been pretty universal - there's no Honda policies in place to stop them working on grey imports and many dealerships will happily work on them, and @Holdcroft Honda in particular seem willing to help out. They already get in parts for tons of JDM models, so there's some support there, they often try and find compatible UK parts for bits that have to be shipped from Japan - that means cheaper prices and not as long lead time.

Got you covered there bud :Thumbup:

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    That is good news I'll have to ring around to the closer dealers and see if any will take imports in, the closest one to me won't, although in saying that I have rarely had any issues with my Honda's that I couldn't sort out on the drive. If a workaround to the navigation issue is found it will most likely require connection from the dealers system. My big fear with the imports so far is finding out I need to update software on some of the electronic control systems or needing repair/diagnostics on something major like the CVT or EPS in the Mobilio. Luckily haven't had any issues but it niggles in the back of the head.

If when in need of parts I usually find them online and have them posted (from the UK most often) and heavier items like fluid from the local dealer so I'll have to try @Holdcroft Honda and see what we can do about post. In saying that if I need to bring the car to them I could arrange a ferry journey and leave it in with them on the way to visit the wife's family over that direction. Maybe even combine things and look into the LPG fitting with
    speedygee.

Thanks for the link on the clip tools, I have a box of the plastic rivet types sitting in the shed so if I mark one up too bad I just pop a new one in, what I was thinking of was something like these for leverage on stubborn dash and door trim, any thoughts?

Also thanks for the forward planning to give a hand on a solution, its great to have a positive response when I tossed out a question, brilliant stuff :Thumbup:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Several of us here have Honda Diagnostic tools, myself included :Smile: The navigation system is actually isolated against the rest, each variation of the navigation system has a different method for entering diagnostic mode which will give you lots of useful information, in terms of flashing the firmware itself, aside from updates on discs - it would be a dealer job as I believe that requires MICV - I still have that to confirm.

I didn't realise you were across the pond, HH will post out to you there :Smile: If you were to bring it across, their Cheshire Oaks dealership is just south of Liverpool. That said, I'm sure there would be a dealer in Ireland willing to work on the car, the costs of ferrying it across would be quite high - though as you say, you could always chat with @SpeedyGee about an LPG install at the same time :Smile:

Apologies I misread, I have a similar set by Silverline which does the job perfectly. I still managed to mark one panel recently though, but that was user error :Laughing:

Yo, we're all here to help one another - that's the spirit of the club :Smile:

12. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
  13. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Ok, I'm currently awaiting delivery from Japan hopefully I'm not giving myself bad luck on starting this before I have it in my possession. If one of the mods can add the previous Sat nav thread in Imports we can keep all the posts together about this one.

Anyway the plans on changing fluids and filters are as follows:
    • Power steering fluid flush and replace
    • Power steering reservoir (if needed dependent on amount of gunk on internal screen)
    • ATF filter
    • ATF
    • Brake Fluid
    • Oil Filter
    • Oil
    • Cabin air filter
    • Air filter
    • Antifreeze
    • Spark plugs
    • Check/adjust valves
    • Check/replace PCV
    • Check/clean/lube caliper slides and brake components
    • Under-body rust coating
    • Check and replace any burnt out dash bulbs
    The road test (NCT) here is pretty in depth with checking suspension, exhaust, gators and other bits and pieces safety wise so the above is to have a clean baseline on the maintenance schedule and start with a known mileage for all future services. I'll have a 6month warranty with the importers so after that time I plan on putting lpg on it so I may hold of on the spark plugs if a more lpg friendly set is advised.

Have I missed anything or any other suggestions for the list?

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I have an all-important question, what engine does she have?

Sorted :Thumbup:

I think that's quite a comprehensive list, I'd say personally that the PSF reservoir itself will be fine, and I'd just personally empty it, fill with new, and repeat the process every week until the fluid is fairly clear. Unless it's seriously gunked up, I don't see the reason to bleed it dry whatsoever.

For ATF, I'd definitely use genuine Honda, same goes for the anti-freeze (Honda Type-II Coolant Premixed).

@SpeedyGee should be able to advise on plugs for LPG, I wasn't even aware it was a concern :Laughing:

For cabin/air filters, and brake components (pads/discs), are you going to be ordering in genuine? Or have you already looked into third party compatible versions?

Only other specific bits I'd say to focus on, are checking bushings and drop-links. You've nailed down quite the list.

15. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    K20A (sorry most important) 4 speed auto transmission

I have a list of comparable part numbers for air/cabin/brake it all boils down to cost on those items. Definitely Honda on the fluids they do seem to design the parts and fluids to go together and I have read many examples of premature wear or failure with the wrong fluids.

I doubt I'll do the reservoir but if the screen is too gunked up I might feel the need, I only replaced one before on a 96 Civic when I had to do the seals on the pump to get it to quiet down a bit.

The testing here puts the car up on a wobble plate and shakes the life out of it while they check all the suspension components so unless there is something glaringly wrong they can do a much better job of fining faults than I can with a bar and shaking the tyres.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Which K20A model do you know? I only ask because it can vary between about 140-220hp :Laughing:

Aye, I can imagine cost is a big factor - I'm yet undecided whether I'll be OEM for these bits or not too.

Exactly my reasoning, transmission is the biggest "must use OEM" for me.

I wasn't even aware of that, sounds like a sure fire way to pick up on any issues :Laughing:

17. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    You raise a very important detail, it is supposed to produce 155BHP@6000 from what I can find its likely a K20A3 in the JDM Civic, but I'm not positive, when I have the full chassis number I'll head into the dealer and get more info. When I give it a blast on the motorway it's be easy to tell if its a 'R type' if it red-lines in the mid 8k range or a bit more conservative of an engine if its in the mid 6k area. Although I'd love to have 200+HP I'm not sure the high compression high rev engines would be the best choice for a people carrier or the desire to avoid points on my license :Grin:.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm going to be away from the forum for a few days but as a quick answer I'd say stick to Iridium plugs as recommended on the K Series engines, they work well with LPG.

jd1959 likes this.
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It could be the A3, that's also in our Civic Type-S, it could be the A4 (158hp) that's in the 2nd Generation CR-V, Stream etc, or it might even be the A6 (155hp) in the Pre-Facelift 7th Generation Accord.

It definitely won't be the K20A in the Type-Rs, just the JDM engine numbers don't list the final digit.

20. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I didn't think it would be the performance engine and I really don't want one in a bus like this, I found the following
    K20A - (economic i-VTEC)
    Found on: 2005-2009 Honda StepWGN/StepWGN Spada (FF - RG1, 4WD - RG2)
    *Compression: 9:6:1
    * Power: 155 HP @ 6000 RPM
    * Torque: 139 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM
    *Redline: 6800 RPM
    Note: Similar to the K20Z2, Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System

Apparently one can tell by the covers on the engine so the only photo I have from the auction of the engine is attached if it gives anyone the ability to tell what type it is. This will be the first 'K' series engine I will have owned so I'm not overly familiar with it or the differences between the huge variety produced. stepeng.