Accord/7th Gen 2006 2.4 i-VTEC Saloon Executive (pre-facelift)

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by tUMi, Sunday 16th Jun, 2013.

1. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Greetings to everyone.

As you can see, I've just registered to this great forum. I found this forum recently and discovered that it has plenty of useful information for Accord owners posted by fellow Accord owners and enthusiasts. I've decided made this thread to introduce my very own car to all who have fell in love with the 7th Generation Accord like myself.

I bought the car at mid January 2013, about five months ago. It's a pre-facelift 7th Generation as it's registered at February 2006 but manufactured in 2005 (haven't bothered the check the VIN yet but I believe my assumption is correct). Currently it has been driven only 51000 miles.

Colour is Indigo Blue Pearl. You all know what Executive spec includes but there's still few things I'd like to mention: 6-speed manual transmission, xenon headlights, power adjustable driver’s seat, power sun roof, power windows and mirrors, VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist), dual-zone automatic climate control and Honda's Premium Sound System with 6 CD changer. All these previously mentioned refinements works really well.

As some of you know, winter conditions can be very rough in here where I live in (Finland). Just 2 weeks after I purchased the car I had a minor road accident with it when after work I was driving to the other city where my big sister lives at. Road conditions were very slippery that day and in a small gravel road (covered with snow and ICE) I started to slow down before the corner but due to excessive situation speed and bad winter tires the car didn't want to stop no matter how much I pushed the brakes, ABS just kept crunching. Finally I hit the snow bench with the front end of the car and made a dive there and finally ended up in a ditch a bit sideways (with wheels still on the ground), just narrowly avoided hitting the traffic sign post on the way to the snow bench. Luckily the car and myself suffered no damages at all and I called in the tow truck to pull me back to the road from the bench so I could move on. Luckily I had a towing insurance so I didn't had to pay a towing bill, my insurance company payed it all. It was the first time I had that type of accident and I was very lucky there was plenty of snow to take the impact and there wasn't any rocks on the ditch that could cause expensive damage to the car.

The summer has been here for few months now so I finally decided it's time to take some summer time photos from my car. Before I could do that, I needed to clean the car throughly, the exterior, interior... all of it. Three weeks ago I put a good layer of wax (Collinite 476s) on the car and now it only needed a proper exterior wash and interior/window cleaning to prepare it for the photos.

So here are the photos. The car is technically completely stock, in factory condition. So far only change is in the interior, the gear shift knob. I replaced the ugly plastic OEM knob with the aluminium Mugen knob. Exterior is all stock and I'm not planning any changes to it. It's fine as it is.

IMG-0863.

IMG-0870.

IMG-0877.

IMG-0878.

IMG-0882.

IMG-0884.

IMG-0885.

IMG-0888.

In the next few days I'm planning to perform an oil change, using Castrol Edge FST 5W-30. Dealer made a last oil change 6000 miles ago. I'm planning to perform the oil changes every 6000 miles. Also need to check the condition of the pollen filter as soon as possible (no idea when it was changed last time).

If you have any questions about the car, please ask. Comments are welcome, no matter if they're positive or negative. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Last edited: Monday 17th Jun, 2013
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome to AOC
    It is a pre facelift but very nice looking one.Superb car.
    Question for you off topic but I heard that in Finland driving test is very extensive and you have to drive in all conditions ie snow,rain etc before you get a driving licence.True or false?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi tUMi, welcome to AOC. Nice car my friend, looks very well kept, inside, outside, engine bay :GoodJob:

Not too sure about the gear stick knob though :Smile:

4. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Thank you. :Smile:

That is a very good question, my friend. It is quite extensive indeed. There is a course test where certain areas of the track has been covered with water which simulates slippery conditions pretty well. There you'll learn how to control your car while braking with the non-ABS brakes and also in the same course there's a cornering test too where you'll learn how to get through the slippery corner without getting off the track. Getting a permanent driving licence also requires you to complete a short driving test in the night time when it's dark. I got my driving license about 7,5 years ago (November 2005).

But however, driving in snow and ICE conditions is not necessary while doing the driving license in Finland. I started the driving school at late autumn and completed the license just before the winter actually started. My father bought me my first car (1996 VW Golf 3rd Generation 1.8 petrol) about a month before I got my driving license and while I was still 17 years of age. In Finland you need to be 18 years of age before you can drive in public roads. Then with time I gathered some driving experience and learned how to control the car in snow and ICE conditions and luckily I didn't got into any accidents. I drove very carefully the first few months, always had butterflies in my stomach while I was driving. But I got rid of that feeling pretty quickly. I guess that's pretty normal to feel like that for new drivers but people are different, not everyone feels the same way. :Smile:

Thanks. :Smile:

I realise the gear shift knob may divide opinions. From this link you can see it better (bought it from there actually):

NEW GENUINE MUGEN 6 SPEED GEAR SHIFT KNOB Civic Type-R S2000 ACCORD Jazz | eBay

The shifting feel that knob provides is the thing for me. The difference is huge compared to stock knob. I hated the cheap looking stock knob from the beginning, it just doesn't fit to premium class car like 7th Generation and it's light as a feather. The Mugen knob weights around 175g and it makes the shifting feel just right. I also tried fitting the Skunk2 knob which weights around 440g but I still prefered the Mugen.

It all comes down to personal preferences.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi tUMi I love to see unmolested cars and your is a prime example of whey change something for the sake of changing it.

Your car interior is the same as a SE Sports Executive 7th Generation in the UK that same fabric seats the dash and the head console, pretty strange to see that on a Finnish spec executive spec.Why didn't they give leather and all the other refinements ?

I see you have a pretty large battery on your car looks like a diesel accord battery to me,could you share the spec of that ..

6. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    In our 7th Generation Accord market there was also sold a spec called Executive X. It is exactly the same as "normal" Executive spec but with a added full leather interior and navigation system. It's pretty rare spec Accord in here, haven't seen one yet around here. Personally I prefer fabric seats over leather so I'm very pleased with Executive spec, it has everything I need and more.

When I bought the car, it still had the original 45Ah Honda battery fitted which almost looks like a motorcycle battery to me. :Smile: No idea why Honda decided to fit such a small batteries to their cars which are insufficient at least in our winter conditions. Instead of buying a new battery same size as the original I decided to fit as large battery as possible to ensure proper cold starts in our very cold winter conditions.

The current battery I have fitted to my Accord (what you can see on the photos) is a 62Ah Euroglobe. Can't fit any physically larger size battery than this without modifying something under the bonnet.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Interesting model line up in Finland two executive options I didn't know that .if they had given that here in the UK, the uptake of non leather executive car would have surpassed the EX with leather quite easily by 20 to 1. In the UK majority of company car drivers are today are not permitted to have leather unless they are Director level,which leaves the entire middle management with lower spec cars, and lets face it a lot of Directors want to be seen in the German crud and not a Honda.

So dear HONDA when you release the 9th Generation Accord if you want higher penetration into the corporate world follow this spec.:Smile:

45ah is still ok for the 7th Generation but the original battery from the factory was even smaller capacity. I would get the 62Ah battery for the next time :Smile: thanks for sharing that info. The only mod you will have to do to get the 62Ah is get rid of the top battery cover and even get the battery clamp and U threaded bars from a Diesel car (I think) the battery strap on your car is not stock to the 7th Generation.

8. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Hello
    Very nice car indeed and nicely kept as well, everyone have their own taste and if that gear knob is good for you than, that's the best choice for you.

I have a question though, in picture no 5 under the glove box there is something and I am trying to figure what is that, maybe you can explain.

As for bigger battery in your car, I presume due to severe weather condition maybe manufacturers have installed bigger batteries in Finland.

9. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Hello,

There's a very simple explanation to that. In photo #5 there's a electrical socket for interior heater. And the black thing next to it is where the interior heater is placed at. I always remove the interior heater from the car after winter because it's no longer needed. The interior heater I'm using can be found from this link below. I'm using the 2100W model myself.

DEFA / Interior heaters

It comes in handy at winter. No need to scrape the windows from the ICE and helps warming up the interior of the car. The interior is already warmed up nicely when you're starting to drive the car. Of course my Accord also has the factory fitted heated front seats which are also a needed refinement during the Finland's cold winters.

There's also a engine heater fitted to my car right after when it was bought as brand new by 1st owner. Very common equipment in Finland and very needed too at minus temperatures. If you look photo #2 closely, you may be able to see the plug for engine heater cord (230VAC).

That is correct. Although I only needed to get rid of the top battery cover and remove the plastic below the original battery and replace it with a piece of rubber mat so the large battery sits properly in it's place. The battery strap (that piece of metal with thread bars that holds the battery in place) is indeed still stock, no need for battery clamp and U threaded bars from the diesel version. The stock battery strap fits to the new battery just fine, only modification needed to the stock battery strap was to add few pieces of rubber between the battery and the battery strap so that the strap could tighten up properly to the battery so the battery won't move by itself.

Last edited: Sunday 16th Jun, 2013
  10. Hoho15 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice base is this staying stock or getting tweaked?

11. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Thanks. It's staying stock for now, no plans for any tweaks at the moment. At one point I was considering swapping the factory fitted 16 inch Honda alloys to the nicer looking 17 inch original Honda alloys. However, the roads in Finland are in so poor condition so the best solution is to stick with the factory fitted 16 inch size. Less tyre noise and better ride comfort. And 16 inch tires (205/55R16) are cheaper of course. :Smile:

12. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London

Thanks for your detailed explanation.