Facelift Model 2006 diesel a/c not working

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by deejay451, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom deejay451 luton
    I now have trouble with my aircon not working. I've read everything I can find and need advice.
    Aircon light comes on, cannot hear anything engaging. Have checked fuses and relays in fusebox, all OK. I suspect clutch and/or field ass. What else should I check? And if it is the clutch and field can anyone point me in the direction of reasonably priced spares (or am I at Hondas mercy) And please what are the part Nos. One last question, is the aircon fluid clear or coloured?♠ . David C.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you had a look to see if the clutch is actually engaging the compressor ?

3. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not had the bottom cover off yet, but if the compressor is the lowest pulley I can see at the front, I don't think the clutch is engaging.

4. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    Was it cold before it stopped working? Compressors don't engage if there's not enough gas.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup as @Raf has already said if the system is low on gas it will prevent the clutch engaging to protect the compressor. Ideally you need to get a the system vacuum, then pressurised to check for leak and if that come clean then regass and oil and then test.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I had read that, so I plan to get the system regassed early next week. I am also thinking of putting a fed from the battery directly to the compressor (briefly) to see if the clutch operates.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't do that yet until you can see if there is a leak personally or just low on gas.

8. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    I think kwickfit still offer money back if the regas doesn't work

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Your lucky if you get your tyres fitted correctly at kwickfit lol. Take it to a good local garage, of course I would say take it to Honda, but you may be put off by the price. Us Honda technicians do know a lot more about your car than some bloke at kwickfit. I've got 10 years of useless Honda training and experience behind me lol. That bloke at kwickfit got his qualifications from back of a cornflake box.

Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    There is a sight glass on the compressor. Can you see any liquid?

11. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, first things first. I can't see anything in the sightglass in the pipeline by the inner wing, which is why I asked if the fluid is coloured. Next, I've just bridged the relay that goes to the clutch, and the clutch engages!!! result!! This means that there is no current going to the relay when the system is switghed on. Starts to look as if a regass might do the job (Formula one garage £39 ) Any comments?

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    By all means have any garage gas up the A/C but it is when it still doesn't work that they will scratch there heads and possibly charge you for things like compressors when a Honda garage may have found the relay is stuck and it was a £20 fix.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    How do you know the relay isn't faulty?

14. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I tested them.

15. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    Phone them up and ask if they do leak tests. Could be low gas due to age or due to a leak

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you can 'hot wire' the compressor clutch feed and make it kick in, then you (or an assistant) should be able to see liquid/bubbles passing the sight glass as it does kick in. If not, then it's low on (or out of) refrigerant.

17. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will try that over the weekend if the weather is good. As I said ,I haven't taken the engine tray off yet. The following is off Formula one website.

"Our fully trained technicians will take a temperature reading from your air conditioning system; remove all the old refrigerant gas, oil and dye. They then clean the whole system and remove any moisture within. Once the system has been thoroughly cleansed our technicians will inject new oil, dye and refrigerant gas and take a temperature reading again to ensure that the re-gas has made a difference to the cold air temperature.
    This process will ensure that your air conditioning system is working to its full potential. If, however our technicians find that the re-gas has had no impact on the air conditioning temperature then you will not be charged for this service."

18. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I don't think there in business to spend an hour working on someone's car to then not charge them something. If there not going to find the leak or cause then what's the point? Also if the re-gas works fair enough, the temp will have dropped but I suspect no time will be spent checking for leaks. It's my opinion as a Honda tech however. Many people are happy with the service given by f1 garages and the like. You go wherever you feel best. Main thing is getting it re-gassed and going from there. Just ask the question and make sure dye is injected. If there is a slight charge then pay it. Just make use it is done and any leaks can be easily see under uv light.

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's good that they use dye, as it's quite likely you have a leak. You look at the sight glass from above (not by removing the undertray).

20. deejay451 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Y es I agree. I just copied the section, I'm not bothered with the "no charge" waffle. Just want it re-gassed, dye put in and checked for leaks. I'll re-post to let you know the results.