Engine & Gearbox 2006 Honda Civic 2.2

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 10th Jun, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Does anyone know if it's mechanical or hydraulic lifters?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The valve train? Then it's hydraulic.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Many thanks!

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Doing a routine service on my brother's car this weekend as previously he's been putting it into a garage once a year despite doing over 25K miles annually! :Aghast:

Would anyone be able to let me know how to change the fuel filter in the Honda Civic? On the Mondeo it was a cartridge in the engine bay with three pipes running into it. I remember you had to charge the new filter with diesel before fitting it so that the fuel pump wouldn't run dry when first starting. Is it all the same with the Civic?

Looking at this: Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda it seems that it could just be a simple screw in job :Smile:

Also, would you recommend an OEM filter or would a third party one be ok? OEM is pricey but I'm always inclined to go original when it comes to sensitive things like fuel filters.

Cheeeeeers!

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Definitely use an original fuel filter the I-CTDI is well documented to be fussy on these. Lots of people on here documenting multiple error codes caused by aftermarket fuel filter.

Once the new filter has been changed attach the fuel feed line coming from the fuel tank first only first, then squeeze the black bulb attached on the feed line. This will draw the fuel into the new filter. Once you get a few drops come out the 'out' pipe on the top of the filter reattach the fuel line to the fuel pump. This will take most of the air out the system. Then squeeze the bulb again till it is hard to build pressure in the filter. You can now start the engine. The ECU light may come on due to slightly lower pressure the first time you start the engine, as you may have a little air trapped in the fuel line, but if you restart the engine several times the light will turn itself off.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's great advice, many thanks. I'll do a photo DIY for the site for the whole service.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If you want to get 99% of the air out the system once the fuel starts to flow from the out pipe on top of the filter hold the fuel line (which goes to the fuel pump) up to the fuel filter. Hold it at a slight angle so as the fuel comes out the fuel filter it dribbles into the pipe filling it up with fuel. Then when the pipes full push it onto the fuel filter. The engine light may still come on but it will stop the engine cutting out as the air passes through the system.

I was planning on doing my service this weekend with a fuel filter change and posting it on the site as well. But HH have messed up my order so it won't get delivered now till next week.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, cheers. I'm checking with my brother to see when his was last done and if he wants to get one. I suspect you'll be doing yours first though lol

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just done a service on his car less the fuel filter for just now, I've never come across such an easy oil filter to change!

Doc likes this.