Service & Maintenance 2007 CR-V How much transmission fluid?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by al terego, Friday 28th Sep, 2012.

1. al terego New Member Getting Started

Bucks
    Hi Guys

I want to change the transmission fluid on my manual diesel 2007 CR-V. I have found the drain hole and the filler hole, but how much fluid do I put in?
    There is no dipstick and the filler hole is on top of the gearbox. The parts man in my local Honda dealer said that you just keep pouring until it comes up through the filler hole - but that doesn't sound right. Is there another 'level check' hole? Or do I pour in a measured amount?

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC,

As for how much you you will need to fill into the manual gearbox its is 2.5 litres. The manual gearbox on the CR-V or the accord don't have dipsticks on the manual gearbox only the automatics have one. The dealer is right to say the above for the petrol cars as the filler in on the left side of the case just above the drain bolt and once it full it will pour out. However yours is the diesel the filler bolt is below the battery box so it won't pour out as you fill up,if you don't take off the oil check bolt.

This check bolt is just above the drain bolt,if you remove this then you can pour from the top and once it begin to pour out of the oil check bolt you know its done. One small caveat here the car has to be level for the oil check bolt to give you an accurate indication the fluid is full. if you are going to jack the car on axle stands in the front then it won't be level, you will have to measure and pour in.

Have a look at this DIY on the Diesel Accord it has the same principle Honda Accord Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) change 7th Generation i-CDTi

if you are using the Honda MTF3 fluid it has gradations on the side of the 1 litter bottles so you can pour the right amount. Also please remember to get the two new crush washers one for the filler bolt as well as the drain bolt from the dealers.

It would be great if you can do a step by step guide for the other CR-V owners please. if you would like torque setting for any of the bolts let me know.

3. al terego New Member Getting Started

Bucks
    Thanks Ichiban - just the info I was hoping for. I will post again when I've done the job (I'm prioritizing the Ryder Cup this weekend!).
    Torque wrench settings would be very helpful.......

4. al terego New Member Getting Started

Bucks
    Okay, satellite dish u/s, so did the job.
    First picture is of the front of the engine, rotate 90 degrees clockwise to get the normal orientation, sorry my computer skills are not up to it.
    Square driven drain hole to the right (bottom) and to the left (top) the check hole. The check hole has a 10 MIL bolt in it.

IMG_0584.

Next picture shows the filler hole with the square driven bolt removed, thank you blu tack. The battery is still in place in the top half of the picture.
    IMG_0586.

Filler hole with battery removed - not really necessary but it gave much easier access when filling. I used 2.5 litres of Honda Manual Transmission Fluid and a funnel with some garden hose on the end.
    IMG_0587.

This picture is taken from just in front of the passenger side front wheel. Sorry, but again it needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
    At the right/bottom you can see where I removed a plastic cover.

IMG_0583.

This shows the plastic cover (with black rubber o-ring), a retaining spring and a strainer. The strainer has a plastic frame and a fine steel gauze. There were quite a lot of metal shavings in the strainer (the car has 47,000 miles). A new strainer is £34 so I cleaned up the old one with petrol. Be very careful when reinstalling - the black plastic plug must be pushed squarely home. It is not very strong - a new one is about a tenner!

IMG_0588.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good job buddy sorry I didn't get the time to do the torque settings.

Interesting to see a strainer on the CR-V gearbox and fillings too, I would put a strong magnet in the outside of the bolt so next time the filling will be in one spot

have you done your diff fluid ?as it tends to glaze the internals if not done.

6. al terego New Member Getting Started

Bucks
    Yup ...... did the diff - easy job.
    But I did notice that the nearside rear tyre was badly worn on the inner shoulder - tracking I guess but very unusual for a rear tyre. Any thoughts?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    4wheel alignment bud that will tell you the state of play, check the camber and toe. You not into shed or load pulling are you?

if you are then the camber on the rear do take a hammering.