Electrical & Lights 2007 tourer tail gate total failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by TREBOR, Monday 2nd Apr, 2012.

1. TREBOR New Member Getting Started

Just got my car back from main Honda dealer after taking it for MOT & repair to power tail gate, only to be told that the diagnostic shows all tail gate components are faulty,cost of new parts £1869 + labour. Can any body offer help or advice.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC, sorry to hear your issues on the tailgate before you spend any more money on this you will need a second opinion to ensure there is simpler fix..

Can you advise what happened prior the tailgate not working what has changed ?

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I doubt ALL the tailgate components are faulty...

...so a second opinion wouldn't go amiss.

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    My tailgate packed in yesterday on my tourer have not took to dealer yet as they like to take £89 of me to diagnose,with been a taxi i need to be in the boot continually as work in a busy station,have read the threads regarding the bleeps im getting nothing,also packed in 2yrs ago then i just unplugged the battery and every thing ok not this time. As a temporary solution i have drilled a hole in the manual release which is situated inside boot and threaded some strong garden wire through the hole and attached along the inside of tailgate and to the back of car made a little handle with the wire which hangs on side of car a little pull and the tailgate opens.
    Is there any members in the yorkshire area who can fix this for me i have monies ready

5. TREBOR New Member Getting Started

Just got my car back today from Gilders Honda, the tailgate now working many thanks to them & Honda all though it's taken 4 weeks to resolve the problem, the fault turned out to be the(LOCK & CLOSER ASSEMBLY - PART NUMBER 74800-SED-E02)£331 inc vat .As the car has a very low mileage and full dealer service from new, I managed to get part funding from Honda & Guilders parts and fitting £218 inc vat, using your dealership can have it's advantages some times. Also many thank to IchibanAccord for your help & advise.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent news bud, it was worth that second opinion :Wink:

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i love the fact you were told ALL!!! the components were faulty! most common fault is a break in a communication wire where the wiring loom follows the hinge. it pays to take your car to *propper* honda dealer sometimes. yes £80 is not cheep but a regular mechanic would not have a clue and end up costing you the earth for what has turned out to be honda paying towards your repair.

8. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did roll my eyes at that one aswell, sounded like they couldn't be arsed diagnosing anything and wanted to throw the kitchen sink at it. If you went in with a misfire I'm sure they'd try and put a new engine in for you.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its more or less like saying you spark plugs needs changing on your I-CTDI engine..:telloff:

Paul likes this.
  10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    How do you define proper Honda dealer beefy i was quoted over £3000 for repairs on my car by my local dealer,and you lads did it for 1k that's why a lot of us have no faith in the dealers my dealer charges me £89 to put on diagnostic machine which is extortionate you would think if they did the repairs they would knock this of the repair price put no they don't. Now my tailgate has packed in will not open if i had faith in my dealer i would take there and its not about money with me its about principles and been fair,thats why I've been through to you lads 3times and its over 2hrs to get to you. It seems to far to go with tailgate problem so will be looking for a dealer in the York area,any recommendations

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    as far as reccomendations in york, i am at a loss ime affraid. unfortunately honda as a brand and a company is often let down by the franchise or dealer. most want to keep there customer base and look after people. others i am afraid are after your money. you get this from all car companies i am afraid. its pot luck realy, but i hope you get things sorted buddy

12. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why would you change spark plugs on a diesel to fix a tailgate problem??? Dafty :Wave:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will be surprised what people are told to get their cars back on the road...

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave came over today and we had a look at his tailgate problem , the DTC code on the car being logged was B1390 which is a terminal error message for the tailgate ECU.
    On the 2003,04 & 05 cars the ECU had a software revision to stop the tailgate handle position mismatch, however Dave car is a 2006 and the revised ECU was already installed. Called HH to confirm no outstanding software and outstanding product updates were pending, which were not it a simple case of replacing the defective ECU.

Dave good to see you today for the free consultation.

15. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Quick update on my tailgate CJ kindly invited me over to is home to see if he could solve my closed tailgate issue fault B1390 was diagnosed faulty tailgate ECU. He also kindly phoned HH for price of part which was not as bad as i was expecting think i have another long trek to HH ahead. I,d also just like to thank CJ for inviting me to is home and the free diagnose he gave me.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP fella, that what this club is all about helping out other members.

17. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Another quick update my ECU for the tailgate as just arrived this evening from breakers only £55 will get fitted next week some time.
    Also for a quick fix i took the inside cover of the tailgate and drilled a small hole in the manual release catch tied some strimmer wire to this then drilled small hole through tailgate next to number plate and attached to a small handle this worked perfectly (cJ this is not what you saw)

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed Dave this issues is put to bed, which year is this replacement ECU from?