HVAC 2008 car gas leak

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by westcorkaccord, Tuesday 29th May, 2012.

1. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Last summer I noticed that my car was not cool. Got a HVAC guy to check out and there was no gas in the system. He filled it up and then checked for a leak which he could not find. The other day which was hot I noticed that we are back again with no cool air. What kind of leak could one have that would take nine months to leak out ?. I keep the cilmate control on auto all the time.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Kevin,

Welcome to AOC,finding these type of leaks are a nuisance and at the best of times purely frustrating to pin point. However I have owned the 7th Generation every since they came out and can't think of one reason why the system will leak as mine has been perfect since day one.

However to help you if your aircon chap can fill a colour dye in system it will leave traces of the leak , or you can use the old school method of suds and around the connectors to check the leaks. The 7th Generation does have a Achilles heel in aluminium corrosion on the lower end of the aircon condenser. This corrosion is seen on the prefacelift cars thou .Facelift cars don't have this issue.

If you get down on your knees and check the condenser condition below the front number plate,look for damage on the core damaged fins are not an issue.

I have seen cars with bowed condensers too often this happens when the car has been jacked and it has slipped from the front cross member and the load transfers to the lower end.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Forgot to add if the aircon chap does not want to use a dye they can use nitrogen with the bubble spray and it will detect the leak.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Agree with cj, have it re gassed and get them to put a UV dye in with it. Most good ac companies will put the dye in as course of filling the system. The UV dye will take minutes to identify the leak using a UV lamp and take all the guess work out. Otherwise you could be spending hours on labour charges and replacing parts and get no where.

5. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Thanks for that. I will call to the air con guy in the next two weeks

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am just going to type up an article where you can do your initial testing before going to your aircon chap. Any kind of knowledge in your hands is always better than going in blind.

7. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    To follow up I had a little tip(in May) on the front left side that required a new bumper and headlight. The repair shop said there was no gas in the system and they did a fill. The cilmate worked OK for over a week, it then seamed to return to the same non cool state. As I was going on hols I got a guy to look at it and he said it still has gas in it, he bypassed the fan and compressor relays in the engine bay and the unit is cooling Ok. The auto system and control through the sat nav look to be working Ok but it is not controlling. Is there any pressure sw or anything locking out the system ?. It looks like the control wants to start it but the control signal is not getting through to the relays.

8. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I am looking for the wiring for the climate controls as If I put 12 volts on to the clutch the unit works OK.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The air con system has high and low pressure switches to protect the system. If some of the gas has leaked out the system may be preventing itself from working to protect itself. Bypassing the clutch if done for more than the shortest or periods may damage the system. So you may not in fact have any other problems apart from the gas leak. I would find the source of that first then see what if any other issues you have.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have we ascertained the gas which was filled hasn't leaked again. no point looking at electrical until you fix the initial loss of gas.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add to the other thread get the DTC's stored on the car additionally when the refrigerant is below 196 kPa (2.0 kgf/CM2, 28 psi) or above 3,140 kPa (32 kgf/CM2, 455 psi), the A/C pressure switch opens the circuit to the A/C switch and stops the air conditioning to protect the A/C compressor.

so you may find you may be chasing a electrical gremlin which is not a fault after all , but the fail safe mechanism trying to protect your kit.

12. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I have had the car back to the garage and they pulled out the gas then carried out there leak test and refilled the system. But the Air con will not work. I am going to go to a refrigeration chap in the next two weeks to do another full vacum pull out, leak test and refill, but I would like to know some info on the pressure sensor in front of the condenser and the wiring drawing so that if the refill does not work both of us can work through the fault.

13. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Thank you for that info on the pressure values. I will be getting the system refilled shortly ( I have got this done lately but to no avail)and I will see where I will go from there. My only concern was that I now have a broken wire due to the little bang that is stopping the system from starting. My concern is that to explain to the workshop supervisor this and with all the checking by the mechanic I could end up with a big bill.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will see what I can dig fo you buddy.

15. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Gas was refilled in the last two weeks and the air con still is not working. This is why looking at the electrical circuit and pressure sensor may help. The pressure sensor has three connections on it, do you know if it is a passive or active sensor and what feedback ( mA or mV ) is used in it ?.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the pressure reading on the low and high pressure sides , not doubting your aircon chap but has the right amount been entered. The reason I say that after a refill it worked,then it didn't ..