Engine & Gearbox 2009 CR-V i-CTDi - Clutch

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by scottyb0408, Sunday 15th Jul, 2012.

1. scottyb0408 New Member Getting Started

Hi there

New to these kind of things so forgive me if I am doing any wrong. We bought a 2009 CR-V 2.2 CDTi 3 weeks ago, it has full main dealer history with 67k on the clock. When pressing and depressing the clutch in 1-3 gears it gives out a loud squeak, is this just a simple case of greasing the pedal?? Also the gear change is anything but smooth changing from 1-2nd and have read on a previous post that this may be a common problem. The last thing is the clutch is a little on the high side.

Do you think I have anything to worry about or do you think this will cause no problems at the moment??

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Scott,

Nearly all Honda vehicles will develop a clutch squeak, the dealer first step is to lubricate the clutch master cylinder shaft with Molykote grease. If the resolve the problem then perfect ...if not the clutch master cylinder may be on it way out. This is based on what you are saying but it could be a different thing altogether when inspected.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    It might be worth changing the clutch fluid, it worked a treat on my FR-V - silent and smooth operation now.
    Only downside is I can now occasionally hear the "click" :Frown:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Hi,my 2009 CR-V I-CDTI is also notchy from 1st to 2nd and back to 2nd from 3rd. Have you had any feedback on the problem?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ken, if you haven't already you could try a gearbox oil change and clutch fluid change, using the appropriate Honda fluids.

7. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    The car had just done 40k so must be worth trying. Will keep posted.

8. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Hi Speegygee, re your last post- I was of the opinion that gearbox and engine used common oil so would have been changed at the 36k service, is the gearbox separate from the engine? I can't see from the service booklet when the clutch fluid should be changed but nothing lost by doing it now.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a normal characteristics on the I-CTDI gearboxes.

10. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Sorry,not sure what you are telling me. Is the gearbox independent of the engine?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Arent they on all cars buddy? :Smile:

12. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The original mini had it's gearbox in the engine's sump, I believe :Smile:

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yes, all the early transverse BMC cars had shared oil.

The CR-V has a separate gearbox and according to my local mechanic they are critical on oil changes. You have to use the correct Honda oil and change it regularly.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol fair enough but I have never heard of that on Japanese cars..

15. minesaredwine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bath
    Deja Vu ..............I bought a 2009 CR-V 1 week ago, 39K on clock from main dealer.....squeaky clutch, have been told its not faulty.........I'm now turning the radio up a notch!

16. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Same here, my 2008 CR V with just under 30k on the clock has the squeaky clutch pedal, and has had since I bought it last October. Not really a problem for me as I am slightly deaf, but her indoors complains about it.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys to rule out its not a cruise control click or the master cylinder rod noise.

Can you engage the clutch with the master cruise control button pressed in with the dash showing cruise control lamp on, and see if the click or a grating noise.

A click means your cruise control needs adjusting a grating and grating feedback feel from the pedal means the rod needs lubricating.