Exhaust System 2009 Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) Issues, Please help

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by foxies, Sunday 16th Sep, 2012.

1. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone would be so kind to help me, I am having some issues with my DPF it seems to be in regeneration mode but despite the instructions from the handbook which is to take it on a 15 minute run at 37 miles per hour (60 km ph) the regen will not complete and the warning light will not turn off.

Does anyone have any experience with this and if so a little advise would be wonderful.

Kind Regards
    Dean Hinds

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Dean,

Welcome to AOC, DPF issues on the Accord are rare but they do raise their ugly head now and again, the DPF light coming on is mainly down to its down to lack of information or misuse. Please have a search for DPF related issue we have a vast amount of information on this topic. if you get stuck just ask.:Thumbup:

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

37mph is nowhere near hot enough for the engine to burn off the excess contaminants. You should give the car a proper, constant 60mph blast - if your car is a manual, leave it in 5th gear so the revs are high.

That should cure it.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As saj says. Get the engine up to temp then give it a blast. The DPF doesnt like regular short journeys so if it is clogged it really does need a decent run to clear it. :Thumbup:

5. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks everyone for the advise, i have taken it for the said run without result, now the check DPF and check system light are on, in which case the owners manual says not to drive it, which is just awful, does anyone know another way of clearing it?, i have considered removing it but i have been told that at the next MOT it won't pass if i do.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Look like you will have to visit dealer to do forced regeneration via HDS.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda can do a force regen to clear it and then a weekly spirited drive should hopefully stop it coming back on. If it does its then either a new DPF or remove it and remap it. I think theres only been one person with a dodgy DPF so it should be fixable either way.:Thumbup:

You don't need it for an MOT. I was going to remove mine but I havent had any problems yet. I might still get it done though as I fancy 210bhp :Smile:

8. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I took it to honda today and they don't know what the problem is, but they say its not the DPF, ill keep you guys posted non the less, by the way its not that i think the DPF removal would be a MOT failure its the increased emissions that i worry about when tested at the MOT.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which out of the two DPF lights do you have lit on the dash ? If the dealer says its not DPF then is there another light on?

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Diesels arent tested for emissions. Its just a smoke test apparently.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think it's time it is TBH.

Tuning and DPF removals are leaving so many diesel cars not the same as they left the factory. the petrol owners are facing massive VED increase and are tightly regulated for emissions. It time the VED for diesel should be brought in line with petrol cars and tampering with diesel for performance boost should be checked and clamped down. Why is it the law for diesels to be within the EURO emission laws ,but its different when it comes to regular inspection.

12. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Turns out honda have no idea whats wrong with it, it is the DPF light and it also has the exclamation next to it, they told me last night that after downloading the data it has flagged up a engine over rev code which is really bad, he says the engine could be seriously damaged and that they do not know why, does anyone have a idea why this would happen and is there another instant documented when this has happened?

i hope someone can shed more light on this.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you got a remap on the car?

14. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not that i am aware of, im guessing you refer to this that i found,
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/27/
    A mayor recall due to the ECU PROBLEM, it sounds like this is the exact issue

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  15. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would have thought that the ECU would not allow a serious over rev to occur, it should limit the fuel input to stop the engine revs increasing much past the red line.

My own experience has been that the DPF light will come on and sometimes not go off, I had this happen about a month ago and it was still on after 2 weeks. However, adding a bottle of DPF regeneration aid (I've tried both Forte and TAP MP184) makes a big difference, the DPF regenerates very quickly. I have found that if the regen aid is added to an empty tank which is then immediately filled to the brim that the beneficial effect lasts for several months. Just make sure that you don't drive off before filling as I don't know what a very high concentration of regen aid in the fuel would do.

I have also decided to run some injector cleaner through every few months, on general principles it's good to keep the fuel system clean and remove any deposits that build up.

16. foxies Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

they think it maybe this

HONDA announced a problem with the ACCORD diesel affecting a total of 8,519 vehicles.

Due to an inappropriate software setting of the ECU the oil level in the engine may increase due to fuel dilution during the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration. If the oil level increases too much it may prevent the engine from decelerating as intended, the engine may continue to run even if the ignition is switched off. This may result in engine failure. the driver will not have any warning of this failure. Vehicles built from 24/3/2008 to 20/1/2011 are at risk.

The following remedial action is necessary to address this problem. The dealer will rewrite the engine software and replace the engine oil and engine filter.

Vehicles with the following identification numbers are affected:

JHMCU3***9C200077 to JHMCU3***9C231843
    JHMCU3***AC200015 to JHMCU3***AC201106
    JHMCW3***BC200001 to JHMCW3***BC202812
    JHMCW3***AC200012 to JHMCW3***AC200804
    JHMCU3***BC200001 to JHMCU3***BC204171
    JHMCW3***9C200041 to JHMCW3***9C232148

Last edited: Tuesday 18th Sep, 2012
  17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Amazing that a Honda dealer can't identify the fault.

Seriously, take your car to another Honda outlet who DOES know whats going on.

18. Tyrbiter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This was known about a bit over a year ago, CJ posted about it here, together with an explanation of what and why and indicated that it would be sorted out during servicing by any Honda dealer.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    An engine over speed is a DTC which gets logged when a

Remap is sensed
    The engine speed has dramatically increased due to a mechanical change.
    The car has been mis-fuelled with petrol

the second option normally happens when you travelling at high speed and select a low gear and when the clutch is dropped the engine speed increase well beyond the safe limits. Diesel are not high revving engine and drop gears quickly it will self destruct or cause damage. The Honda dealer is backing away so they do come across the bearer of bad news.

20. MAL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi foxies, we've been unlucky enough to have seen a few with DPF issues. There is a service bullitin which involves checking the airflow meter part no. and involves checking the live data from this on HDS or the new Hart system. unfortunatly this was not the case with the few we have seen. The dealer may have been unable to complete a forced regen if your aircon system is inop as it is used to cool the vehicle whilst a regen is in process. A forced regen will only be a temp cure in some circumstances depending on the level of particulate matter trapped in the filter. generally from what we have seen a filter will not fully recover if a reading over 16g is recorded. This may not be fact but is what we have experienced. If your car is in warranty, a new filter normally sorts this out, but if your car is out you can remove the filter and try a product from Wuth which is left inside the filter overnight. I have seen a vehicle which had the filter removed and a remap. the body of the filter is refitted with the insides removed. The car seems to be running well with no ill effects. The engine overspeed is unusual in a deisel, we've really only seen that in Type-R Civics and S2000's. (Hitting 3rd gear instead of 5th usually). Hope you can get it sorted, limp mode sucks!

Ichiban likes this.