Engine & Gearbox 2009 i-CTDi rattle

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Wizard, Monday 9th Mar, 2015.

1. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. And I have an annoying noise/rattle.

My 2009 I-CTDI has a rattle that is most noticeable when changing up from 2nd to 3rd.

I can also recreate the noise by reving engine to 3000rpm and then releasing the accelerator pedal.

It makes no difference if clutch depressd or not or AC on or off.

I had a new clutch in October 2013 and DMF was checked. The noise was present before & after this was done.

I've checked car for loose heat shields etc and all seems fine.

I had the clutch replaced by dealer (October 2013) and idle bearing changed and at same time the DMF was checked. The noise was the same before & after.

A Honda tech came out with me and said it's the turbo releasing pressure causing the noise.

I have now had the car for 2 years and 22,000 miles, currently at 59,000 and noise is the same .

Is it the turbo releasing pressure? Or was I fobbed off?

If it was the turbo releasing pressure I'm sure other I-CTDI owners would have heard it.

Many thanks

Andy

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Noises are always hard to diagnose over the internet.

Any chance of a sound/video clip ?

3. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will try, not sure if it will be loud enough to record.

Cheers

Andy

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome Andy to HK

My CTDi I can hear a slight turbo release when changing but its very subtle and always been there, but its the release of air and no rattles. Does it only do it between 2nd and 3rd or can you get it to recreate the sound regardless of what gear you are in, or whether you are moving or not?

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't know. I had my 2004 I-CTDI for 10 years without experiencing this.

Any ideas @Beefy ?

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    noises are very subjective and sound different to one person and the next. is it a rattle? is it wastegate flutter? without experiencing or hearing the noise its difficult to comment to be honest. I caunt say there is anything that I have experienced similar to a rattle as described by @Wizard

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I tried to record the noise but all I could hear was the engine on the recording. I will try again.

The noise sounds like a heat shield rattle, but I've checked these and even removed the catalytic converter heat shields but alas, it wasn't that!

It does sound like it is coming from the back of the engine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Rattling best describes it. Like a loose heat shield.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check for lose rubber exhaust hangers broken hangers.

10. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had to drop a mechanic back up the road in my CR-V and I asked him what he thought the noise was. He thought it sounded like the idle release bearing or the turbo.

But he agreed as the noise is there if clutch up or down and as idle release bearing has been replaced and noise stayed the same it couldn't be that.

And surely if it was the turbo the noise would have got worse over 20,000 miles!

11. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had the front wheels off this morning to clean and copper ease the brake pads mounts as I've been getting a honking noise every now and again while moving very slowly. Whilst car up on the stands I had a look through at the wheel arch to have a prod and poke to find loose things.

All exhaust rubbers are good.

I did notice that a rod with a threaded end on the turbo was loose and when gently prodded with my jack handle rattled and could be my noise.

Would that rod be in same position as when engine not running when you rev the engine to 3000 RPM and remove foot from the throttle?

I've mentioned that you also get the noise when changing up through the gears, most noticeable from 2nd to 3rd due to less road noise I guess. If when I change up I hold the throttle for a split second I don't get the noise!