Fuel Efficiency 2009 i-dtec thermostat/running temp

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by deano24v, Thursday 11th Apr, 2013.

1. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Hi guys and girls,

Where should the needle sit on the dial? Mine sits at about a third of the way up,underneath the actual coolant symbol? I'm suffering pretty poor fuel consumption and wondering if a stuck stat is my problem.

Thanks in advance

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is what it looks like all the time

20130302_212504_zpsc2b8d726.

3. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Thanks for that,that's where mine sits so I can rule that one out cheers.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What's your average daily commute i.e. all short trips or motorway?

Are you trying to drive economically?

Check tyre pressures also.

Also, keep in mind I-DTEC understates fuel economy, 44-45mpg on the computer is fact 49-50mpg. If you're doing 20-25+ mile trips and driving economically, you should get this 50mpg when calculated, i doubt much higher is achievable unless doing very long trips and keeping sub 70mph. That's my own experience i have been trying hard to get good fuel economy....

5. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    The shortest trip it does is 40 miles on my commute,of which 39 miles is motorway/dual carriageway. I have been driving it as economically as I can,I don't think its been above 70mph. 41 is where the average is sitting now. My V8 BMW wasn't far off that MPG driven the same way Lol.
    Tyre pressures are checked weekly. My brim to brim figures at best are only 43mpg.
    My driving style is very economical and I only drive the car on motorways and dual carriageways,it never does short journeys. I swapped a 170bhp auto passsat estate for the Honda and that driven the same way would do an easy 55-60 MPG

6. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmmm...sounds a bit on the low side.

If my comp was showing 41mpg, i'd say on my car that was 46mpg based on my experience of brim to brim fills and manually calculating. But if you are manually calculating and it's coming out at 43mpg then that must be what it is.

I've gone from a petrol Focus at 37mpg to this Accord averaging almost 50mpg so i'm reasonably happy. Although in saying that, given my driving style (which is quite economical) was hoping for higher than 50mpg, more like 55mpg but doesn't like i can achieve it, at least not in the winter months, perhaps in the summer months.... Anyone who achieves actuals of 50mpg + must be driving (a) like Ms Daisy (b) long motorway journeys with little uphill journeys

For the record, i've had the car just over a month and manual calculations over 4 tanks shows my averages are:

- 50mpg
    - 48mpg
    - 47mpg
    - 51mpg (driving like a granny!)

If you find out ways to bring it up, without having to stick at 60mph, i'm all ears :Grin:

Cheers

BigRon

p.s. Are you BMW and Passat figures actuals or computer average? I find both hard to believe, especially the 55-60mpg one....

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Also are the BMW and Passats that your talking about fitted with DPF ? DPF equipped cars give less ecomony.

8. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Yeah all had dpfs. The Passat was a bit of a freak to be honest.no matter how I drove it the lowest it ever did was 40. The BMW was easy to get down to 30's but would still do 50 on a run relatively easy and that had 260 BHP and 450 lb/ft of torque.

If I could get 50 I'd be happy. I was gonna put it down to a heavy car with not a lot of power so it needs extra throttle to get it up to speed but once its there it shouldnt be a problem. Sitting at 60 all the time is killing me lol.

Maybe I'll give the MAF a clean,drop the oil again and change the fuel filtering and see if any of that helps.

Cheers for the replies.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    I have now,that's depressing Lol. I think the best I've had is 600 before I've had to refill.

11. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How many miles were left on the computer when you say you got 600miles to a tank? If it is most of what is left when the light comes on, which is 60miles, thats about 46mpg you're achieving.

I've also read that 919 thread and i'll give DK the thumbs up for achieving it, but i don't think anyone has come close to 200miles of this target so i'd like to know:

1. How many miles per average journey to acheive it
    2. Average speed - not necessarily on the comp, but was it mostly at 60mph or 70mph?
    3. Was cruise control used at all
    4. A picture next time as proof :Grin:

DK will no doubt post on this thread so he can share his insights...

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I should point out that the 919 was ONLY achieved by almost 99% motorway journeys. I was literally up and down the M3/M4 for a whole week, staying in Premier Inn's etc right next to the motorway. The average speeds I was doing was about 60-65mph, but not exclusively.

Cruise control was used, except when going downhill/uphill - can't recall exact duration now, sorry!
    I do have a picture incidentally on my old BlackBerry I think - I'll have to dig it out at the weekend.

Irrespective - I still get anywhere between 50-65mpg depending on how hard I plant the foot.

To the thread starter - when was your car last serviced? Are you using DPF compliant 0W-30 engine oil? What fuel do you use (supermarket or quality juice like Shell V Power?)? Also, you don't say whether your car is manual or auto - that has BIG implications....

13. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Hi mate,its a manual. Last serviced at Honda 3k ago with 0w-30,it should be nicely loosened up now on 70k. My journeys aren't a million miles away from yours from the sound of it. I'll Jeep cracking on with it.
    I might drop it back in to have the codes read and see if that throws anything up.

14. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    As for fuel I only ever use shell or esso and it gets supreme/vpower every 3rd tank or more if I'm flush that week lol.

15. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Could also be a sticking brake caliper, not unknown on the Accord.

Also tyres, some have less rolling resistance than others, must make some difference.

Based on 919 miles, DK was doing around 64mpg.

16. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's interesting what was said about the passat being good on fuel regardless of driving style. I think the VW group Diesel engines are really economical. I recently did a round trip from porthcawl in South Wales into the heart of London and back in my 1.6 Skoda Octavia taxi and achieved 69.9 MPG. That was travelling at approx 70mph on the way up and 60mph on the way back.
    On the return journey (no passenger) I stopped at a service station and reset my second trip computer and when I pulled off the motorway over 100 miles later the trip showed an average of 80mpg which I thought was staggering.
    It will be interesting to see what MPG I get on the 27th doing the run up to and back from the HH meet.

17. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Right,I serviced the car again,ran through some BG cleaner at a reasonably high concentration then filled up with some new shell nitro + and set off on a motorway jaunt. Set the cruise to 65 and this was what I got. So,all looks well.just the other jobs to sort now.:Grin:

Attached Files:

18. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keep us updated if this trend continues for u - must try the same myself

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff deano keep us posted with the results.

20. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Finished that tank today and the average has dropped (on the obc) to 50.2 which I'm still more than happy with. Ill monitor it over the next few tanks and see how I get on.

Ichiban likes this.