Fuel Efficiency 2010 Accord 2.2 i-DTEC Type-S Poor Fuel Consumption?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by David Binnie, Wednesday 16th Oct, 2013.

1. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening all,

I've just traded my Gen 7 diesel sport in for a Gen 8 Type-S and sadly the car is getting nowhere near the fuel consumption it's supposed. At the moment I have a 12 mile trip to work (10 dual carriageway and 2 country roads) and driving as cautiously as I can I'm struggling to keep the average fuel consumption above 36mpg. If I thrash it it drops to low 30's! I have a friend with a Type-S and he's doing pretty much the same journey and he is averaging low 50's. I have two questions: What sort of MPG figures should the car be doing (I know what the Honda blurb states) and is there anything I can have a look at before I take it back to Honda?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

David

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Oct, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Type-S Poor Fuel Consumption

When was the last time your car was serviced and have all its ECU updates applies?

Welcome to the forum :Hey:

3. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening and thanks. I only picked it up last Saturday and it was serviced by the Honda dealer the day before. I couldn't say or not if this included any ECU updates or not. Is there any easy way I can tell?

4. Deerfoot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only get 45 ish from my `09 Tourer on a run, and around 35 around town. Mine`s an auto though.

5. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd be happier with 45! I just don't understand how 2 cars of the same age can be so vastly different in fuel consumption. I actually reset the MPG stats tonight coming up the A96 and in 10 miles at 60mph it averaged 37mpg... my old BMW 320 petrol could do that!

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My 2.4L petrol Accord can get over 40mpg on a motorway run, that's just not right. Have you thought about flagging the issue with the dealer you brought it from? Get some stats from several different trips to backup your claims.

I hope you get the issue resolved, and welcome to the club :Hey:

7. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think I am going to give them a call in the morning and see what they say. They are a pain to get to though so it'd be Saturday before I can get out to them. If only I'd bought it from the Honda dealer in Aberdeen as they are only a few miles from work. Will be interesting to see what they say and fingers crossed it isn't expensive to fix!!!

8. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    May be a silly question but have you confirmed the MPG by filling the car to the brim and then filling it up again after a couple of hundred miles or so? The general consensus on here is that the reading on the fuel computer is often quite a bit lower than the actual MPG and this usually happens with my 2011 Tourer.

9. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A few thoughts

- the Type-S is thirstier than standard I-DTEC
    - the OBC on a lot of cars under estimates, usually 5-7 MPG, so your 36 could be 41-42
    - a 12 mile trip is a shirt distance for a Diesel engine to expect fuel economy, takes time to warm up plus performs best in longer motorway miles
    - where do you source fuel, tesco diesel is worse IMO by 2-3mpg

Do a brim to brim test to work out point no. 2 above.

BigRon

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Oct, 2013
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    +1 for testing a tank from full to empty. Calculate your mileage/consumption from the trip meter manually, then compare to the on-board readout.

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My new I-DTEC has 1,600 miles on it and is slowly improving in MPG but nothing spectacular to write home about yet. If I zero the trip computer and drive at steady 50-55MPH on reasonable flat roads, I'll get 50MPG. At 70MPH on dual carriageway it'll struggle to 44MPG and any sort of back road driving, even when short-shifting like crazy this will plummet to 37/38MPG; 40MPG at the VERY best.

My 2009 2.0 i-VTEC even when thrashed would easy get 32MPG and doing exactly the same trips I'm doing now 33-35MPG was the norm. 45MPG was easily obtainable on a 70-75MPH dual carriage/way or A road run.

I find MPG plummets a lot quicker if driving in a spirited style in I-DTEC than in i-VTEC.

Of course there's still quite a bit loosening up for mine to do yet so we'll see what it's like in another 5-10k but so far I'm ecstatic I got my I-DTEC for price of 2.0iVTEC otherwise the £2,300 premium is a lot of money spent on 8-10MPG more that would have gone along way on petrol.

I would hope mine has the latest ECU software already on it as it's a 2013 car.

Having said the above, I'm noticing the fuel gauge drops more slowly than in a petrol so perhaps the trip computer does under measure MPG. This is the first time I've noticed this in a diesel. All other diesels I have driven before required the same (if not more) trips to the pumps.

Gonna measure MPG the old fashioned way to cross check I think.

12. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for responses guys.

I think I'll do a full tank test first to get a better idea of the consumption that I'm getting before I hassle the dealer. Unlike my friends car mine has only done 14,000 miles since new whereas his is up in the 30's, so maybe mine needs a little more time to loosen up. Unlikely but I'm clutching at straws. I'll let you all know how I get on. :Smile:

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that it isn't a deal breaker. I love the car!

I'm going to start researching what fun things/mods I can do to it. I think a remap may well be in order at some point! :Smile:

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you're pleased with it mate.

It's my first diesel Accord and I love the bucket fulls of low down shove it has. Had to take some evasive action at top of a slip road on the way home from work - someone stopped dead for no reason instead of managing their speed to join smoothly. The road wasn't even that busy either so there was no need for them to jam the brakes on and stop dead. I was in 5th (as I'm still short-shifting like crazy to get better ideas on how much MPG will improve by and what's best to achieve this) and had to give it some power to get into outside lane as slowing as well would have been dangerous. in 5th it just pulled away no bother. I'm not saying my old 2.0iVTEC would have been sluggish far from it but this I-DTEC is a different world all together in situations like that.

Still miss my i-VTEC though :Sobbing:the i-VTEC induction note is great! :vtec:

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wouldn't advise a full tank test - running the tank empty? It's unnecessary, all you have to do is fill your tank to the brim then reset the trip and do a hundred or so miles. Go to petrol station, take note of trip reading (which is calibrated) and then fill to the brim. You then have a calibrated reading of how many litres you've used which you can convert to gallons and get a calibrated MPG.

15. David Binnie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Arctic. A half tank test it is! :Smile:

Ooh and it's the weekend as well. I feel a nice long drive coming on. :Smile:

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm doing one myself soon as a favour for someone to show up just how bad the Vauxhall Astra 2.0 diesel is performing - I think it's actually a Fiat engine. I'll post my results also :Smile:

17. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    David,

If you have a smart phone you should install a free app called Road Trip Lite which keeps track of your mileage based on full tank refill. Very good app and easy to use. From my experience, calculated mileage on the app is always a few MPG above that on the Car computer. Keep us posted...

18. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Is it just me or do people find BP diesel gives more mileage?

I put Tesco diesel last week (in absence of anything else and an almost empty tank) and it feels like i've sucked the life out of it..

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I only use BP super unleaded and it does seem to last well. Maybe because there's no ethanol in it? Not sure about the Diesel though.

20. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes to both, same experience for myself...