ICE & HFT 2010 Honda Accord Replacing Front Speakers

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bigroncoleman, Tuesday 2nd Apr, 2013.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

Have the car just over a month now and the front driver's sider speaker is now 'farting' and sounds like it needs replaced. A bit disappointing, as i haven't been putting it under any extreme volumes but I've read it is a common enough fault so always a possibility it would go I guess. The car is out of warranty 3 months i've read Honda won't replace?

I've done a search and from what i can tell 16.5cm-17cm will fit so just looking for advice on what speakers to buy. Racy Jace recommended these - Pioneer TS-E1702i 6.5 Inch 17cm 170mm Car Door Speakers 180Watt - on eBay they're £57 delivered which seems ok? Looking for something decent but nothing to extravagant either and these seem to fit the bill.

Any other advice before i take the plunge?

Thanks

BigRon

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Replacing Front Speakers

No harm in asking Honda to show a gesture of goodwill.

You don't ask, you don't get :Thumbup:

3. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bought the car second hand through independent dealer (and not Honda garage) but will give that try that in the morning mate, as you say worth a try but i just assumed as out of warranty i'd no hope based on what i've read....

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Doesnt matter where you bought it from - Honda is still obliged to maintain parts/inventory for it and you lose nothing by asking :Thumbup:

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You tend to get what you pay for with speakers. I can recommend mb quarts but go for a higher spec speaker. Theyre not expensive but they are a great sound quality SQ speaker. Not over bassy like jbl which would be good for rear speaker's. I got my dad som pioneer components with a yellow cone and they were pretty good. Id always go for a 2nd hand quality speaker over a new cheaper one though. Theres some focals @ £180 but its all down to how much youd like to spend. Try and find a shop with a sound board that will show you the difference in sound by switching speakers.

6. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Replacing Front Speakers

Honda basically told me where to go when I asked for goodwill on my speakers. As Big RON, I too bought my car from an Indy.

7. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had an issue with a blown front door speaker and replaced with Vibe Slick 6 Component (came with tweeters) speakers. Got a local audio place to swap them out as they were more experienced at removing the door card than me and also supplied adapters (which were also required). Sounds good with nice bass (when I played around with the Audio settings) with I-Pod and also bluetooth phone.

8. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Droppped my car off at Car electronics in Nottingham to have the front speakers replaced and been told they are 2 ohm speakers which they can't replace with after market ones, anyone know if this is correct?

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All that means is that the sound will be slightly quiter and the amp run cooler. Its if the ohms go too low you need to worry as the amp runs hotter but nothing to worry about with the Honda head unit then:Thumbup:.

JBL and Infinity do 2 ohm speakers. The head unit reads them as 4 ohms due to the speaker cable resistance. They are also marketed as "True 4 ohm"

Last weekend I tried to fit some speakers in my rear doors but the basket was too big so I'm in the middle of looking into all this stuff. I'm going to try and buy some speakers in the next few days so please don't out bid me on ebay.:Blushing:

- - - Updated - - -

I just had a look at my original speakers in the garage and there is no indication of the ohms what so ever on them. I did think they were to 2 ohms though so it hasnt surprised me. The fact that a car audio centre didn't want to install speakers suggests to me that the don't know how to take the door cards off. I had that trouble from the garage I bought my car off and they paid Honda to change them. Its a like a 3 min job to take them off LOL.

I could do with someone filming me as it would make life so much simpler for people to see how easy it is.

Below is how I used the original speaker as an adapter. I just used a hot scalpel blade to cut through the plastic. I then cut the speaker plug off too so I can plug the new speakers straight in.

20130406_125000. 20130406_125006.

10. TonyT New Member Getting Started

Hi BigRon
    I have a similar problem with my door speakers both front and rear. Took the rear door panel off today and it looks as though I will have to modify the plastic flange that supports the speaker. Flange and speaker seem to be of one piece. I hope to fit Mtx Tr654 which are 240w. I was able to buy them for just under £40.00 a pair.
    I have to say I think the car is great and this club really helpful.

TonyT

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

12. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Others here are more experienced but just went to a Honda Franchise parts website and they are selling Honda Accord upgrade speakers that are 4ohms

Honda Accord Upgrade Speakers - Co-Axial - 08A55-TL0-600B

My replacement speaks are 4ohms and I agree with Racy Jace the sound is a little quieter (have to turn the sound up bit more, especially when playing AC/DC) but this can be offset by playing around with Ipod & head unit audio settings and the phone is much clearer....

The Audio place I used installed adapters (same as for the Civic, which they threw in FOC) - I am a bit nervous pulling door cards out unless shown first etc.

13. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, for my understanding for possible future ICE meddling...

If it appears the premium audio speakers are 2 ohm, has anyone seen this in writing or on a speaker driver to be sure?

That would tie in with why some Honda OEM upgrade speakers (like Nuttys link above & Ichibans accessory pdfs on another thread) state they are 4 ohm, but also state "NOT IN COMBINATION WITH PREMIUM AUDIO INSTALLATION".
    So the standard audio system likely uses 4 ohm speakers and the premium audio possibly uses 2 ohm speakers.

There was something similar in the Alfa 155, where the standard audio system used the head unit & 4 ohm speakers, but the upgraded Bose sound system used 2 ohm speakers and a small amp in the boot that raised the power level and also powered a small sub/bass woofer. In fact that sounds pretty much the same system plan.

Anyone got any technical info from Honda regarding speaker power/impedance/sensitivity or amp power in either the standard or particularly the premium audio system?

Cheers, Mark.

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The sub on the premium system says 2 ohms. Theres no markings on the door speakers to indicate what impedance they are. I'm 99% certain the door speakers are 2ohms too. 4ohms can be used no problem as I've now got Polk Audio in the rear and focal in the front. I would like to try some JBL 2ohms next in the rear if I can find a cheap pair.

15. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta

you guys know the email address to reach Honda for such requests please?

16. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Jace,

With moving from the OEM 2ohm speakers to the after market 4ohm speakers - did you notice a drop in maximum volume before distortion is noticeable, or having to turn the volume number up higher to get the desired listening level?

I know there's a lot more to it than just impedance changes when it comes to the loading of the amplifier and what volume/SPL you get in comparison with different drivers, but i'm interested in what difference you noticed (if any) from a volume/SPL/loudness perspective.
    I assume the sound quality and frequency response improved greatly :Thumbup:

Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone who's looking at upgrading speakers or other bits of car audio kit - it should be simple, but the more you look into the detail of the mechanics and properties of speakers and amplifiers the less straight forward and the more shades of grey it becomes, particularly when information on OEM gear is hard to come by.

The are many different factors that interact between the amplifier and speaker(s), making expectations of the final result from spec numbers alone difficult.
    The sensitivity value of the bass driver will also have a big effect on the loading to the amp and how much volume they will produce together, basically the higher db the better.
    The impedance value quoted is nominal anyway as it varies greatly over frequency and has peaks, it's just a rough average of the impedance.
    It helps if you know what impedance range the amplifier is designed to handle safely (without overheating or earlier onset of distortion).
    Also the effect the crossover components (separate box or built into tweeter) & the tweeter driver (in a component set) will affect overall component impedance/sensitivity/power-loss.
    The more time you spend investigating this audio stuff and the different viewpoints, the more confusing & contradicting it can get, so keep it simple if you can (unfortunately, I love it).

Of course you can bypass most of that if you fit an after market amp & new speakers, but that’s more complex and more expensive, I'm investigating the best way to do it out of interest (& then see if I can afford it lol).

So just get the best info & recommendations you can, make an informed decision and enjoy your system.
    That’s what I'm planning to do over the coming months :Smile:

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Wednesday 8th May, 2013
  17. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I am replacing my front speakers on a 8th Generation Ex with PIONEER TS-G1723i - 6.5" 16.5cm 3-Way Coaxial Powerful Audio Car Speakers 250W.

Using aftermarket mounting speaker adapters from the states and PC2-818 Honda Accord Speaker Adaptor Lead Cable.

What is everyone's thought on the choice of speakers and the items to ensure they install correctly. Is there anything else I need.

Thanks in advance

18. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

The speakers i mention at the start of this thread are the ones i chose. I had them fitted so cannot comment on cables etc but for the price i am very happy with mine :Thumbup:

BigRon

19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They look good. I would install one speaker first then compare it to the other side by usung the fade/ balance option in the stereo. You should then hear the difference and be able to review the speaker for us.

The rear speakers fit exactly the same and the door cards are even easier to take off than the front. I would then fit the other speaker to the rear and do another comparison to see if you get the same bass response. When finished just fit it into the front door with the other one.

I tried some £100 yellow coned pioneers in the back and the originals were better. The rear doors are smaller so I think that may have something to do with it?

Last edited: Tuesday 21st May, 2013
  20. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You should check Hertz and Audison as well.

I installed a set of coaxial Hertz HSK165 (Hi-Energy series) in my Civic. Outstanding speakers, great clarity, tremendous bass (without an amp and a woofer). It should sound even better in the Accord because of much better sound insulation throughout the car.