Tyres & Wheels 2011 CR-V DTEC - Tyre recommendations

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by rugbygeezer, Sunday 20th Jan, 2013.

1. rugbygeezer New Member Getting Started

Hi all,

I got my CR-V in Sept 2011 and have just passed 25k miles. I know that the tyres are getting close to their wear points and I fully expect the outcome of my 25k service to be an advisory on the tyres. The vehicle is an EX with 18" alloys fitted with the standard supplied 225/60 18 Dunlop Grandtrek.

From a quick internet search there seem to be a few tyre options ranging between £125-£155 per corner; I would like to ask the collective experience of the forum members for advice. Plus if there some recommended local suppliers in the north Wiltshire area that would be a bonus :Wink:

Cheers,

Paul

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Paul,

Have you tried "Black Circles" (/ R Tyres Search Results) ?
    Your tyre size came up with 8 options when I tried them.

Cheers,
    Graham

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Graham this sort of tyre recommendation will soon stop and we will lean towards the German and European way of tyre choice . there will be a time we all will be governed by the tyre which the manufacturer only recommends.

Anyone what to bring the EU referendum closer for the yes or no vote.

5. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    That could be interesting...
    I have a 37 y.o. Morgan. The original spec. tyres have not been manufactured for years - what happens then? :Aghast:
    It's also very difficult to find the orginal type tyres for my 23 y.o. Land Rover. So on both I'm runing modern rubber...
    Although, with modern computer filled cars I guess that's not so much of a problem, the electronics will probably have expired first.

Just thinking out loud... :Whistle:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They way we are heading they want us to trash our classic cars too..

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Aye,
    I've seen some of the disturbing news emanating from EU. It is a trifle worrying!

Anyway, back to tyres...

Paul (OP) have you asked your Honda dealer? My local MINI dealer can do me a better price on tyres than either of the local tyre depots I use for my other motors. Mind you, that's about the only thing they can do, but I'll not go down that road :Aghast:

Cheers,
    Graham

Last edited: Friday 25th Jan, 2013
  8. rugbygeezer New Member Getting Started

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and the quick side debate on EU tyre legistlation!

I have used Blackcircles in the past and they are generally pretty good on pricing.

My plan is to see what price the Honda dealer in Swindon quotes me when they service the vehicle next week and then compare with the options available on line etc. My vehicle is under a Honda lease with the four year warranty so I suspect that as IchibanAccord points out, that may limit me to the Dunlop or Michelin options.

I will report back after my service next Wednesday and let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Paul

9. Slimbaldy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    Hi Just done 2k on 4 newly fitted Michelin latitudes on my CR-V, and they are very good. they feel well constructed and are quiet. also they have done very well on the snow and ICE particulary at work where it gets off road in deep snow!

RichT likes this.
  10. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Welcome along Slimbaldy, always good to have more CR V owners on here.

Why don't you pop over to introduce yourself and say hello to the guys and gals

11. rugbygeezer New Member Getting Started

So the health check a the service highlighted that the front tyres were at 2mm tread depth. The dealer offered to replace them with (Dunlops) at £175 each but they did include a labour charge. BlackCircle on line quote was £158 fitted but as all of my other servicing costs were all covered by my Happiness plan I opted for the convenient option and got the dealer to change them.

Paul

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    At 175 and the convenience well you have to take the easy option. Get some picture up