Electrical & Lights 2011 ES-T SSD Nav problem

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by jevs68, Tuesday 8th Jul, 2014.

1. jevs68 New Member Getting Started

James
    2011 ES-T I-DTEC Auto SSD Nav Problem
    Hi All,
    This is my first time posting in a forum so please forgive any errors and apologies if this issue has already been discussed!

I bought the above model from new and, wouldn't you know it, just as the warranty has run out I now have a problem I can't fathom.

If you're familiar with the nav unit on this model then you'll know that you access the CD slot behind the LCD touchscreen by hitting the eject button and the whole fascia slides down and forward.

In the last day or two the unit seems to have developed a mind of it's own and opens at random whilst driving and will not return - no matter how many times you press the button - until it sees fit!

Even when you switch off the ignition it stays stuck. I've tried all sorts but it will only return when it wants, but will then open again when it feels like it, and so on.....

There doesn't seem to be any one thing that triggers it as far as I can ascertain. The touchscreen does not work whilst the unit is open but all the hard buttons around the screen do, except for the one that's supposed to close it, aagh! (This same button does work, however, when the unit is closed and behaving itself).

Any thoughts, ideas, soothing words would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. jevs68 New Member Getting Started

James
    Hi Ichiban,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, it's bizarre alright.

Spoke to my Honda dealer today and they said they had seen it happen a couple of times before and that it would cost £330 for the unit to be removed, sent off for inspection/repair and refitted - plus the cost of any components if needed - or, I could just leave it and it might right itself!

Not very helpful or sympathetic - the warranty only expired 3 months ago too. :Sorry:

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Maybe there is something stuck in the mechanism? If you could take it apart yourself then you may find something.

Otherwise, maybe if you tape it shut for a few days the system will give up? (complete shot in the dark there!)

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It sounds to be like you've got a bad solder on the circuit board or a loose wire somewhere which is bridging the open/close button connection, however not to the point where that's it's permanent state (though likely will be before long).

I'm not sure on the 3rd Generation CR-V who makes the actual CD unit itself, though typically on a lot of modern Hondas it's Alpine. I'm sure what your dealer is proposing is to send it to them for inspection and repair which normally costs something like £180-220 - with the amount on top being the dealer's labour for removing and then refitting it for you.

I don't have a simple suggestion, but you can pick the dealers brains to find out if that is their intention, then perhaps cut out the middle man and send it to the manufacturer yourself. Might save a few pennies at least. Another thought, is that it's also worth trying to get the dealer to subsidise part of the repair cost, as they've admitted it's a problem they've come across several times before.

These things tend to be beyond DIY, and I'd be pretty certain it's a hardware not a software issue.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @jevs68 any updates on this issue ?