Electrical & Lights 2011 xenon headlight

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by itsthelick, Monday 3rd Nov, 2014.

1. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

can anyone let me know if a 2011 xenon headlight can be retro fitted into a 2008

cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks

I've been offered a pair from a breakers at reasonable money, just wondered if it was a case of swapping them over

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok what parts have you ordered , like headlight, igniter ballasts, bulbs and engine wiring loom?

5. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah the lights have the ballast and bulbs, will have to find out about the loom

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you thought how you going to convert halogen connectors to accept D2S bulbs in a halogen headlamp?

7. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it isn't a halagen headlight

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But your current headlight would be won't it?

9. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it is yeah, but that's the original question can the original headlight be swapped out for a xenon of a 2011 model

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it can if you spend thousands which included all the parts I mentioned. its not a simple plug and play.

11. itsthelick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the ballasts and the bulbs would be part of the headlights, so surely it would be just a change of wiring

don't see how that would cost thousands

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will figure it out when you get them, good luck.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    What CJ is getting at John is there's a fair bit involved in order to properly retrofit the full-housings, with ballasts and using the halogen loom. I can't see it being too much of an issue if you can get the full donor gear from the breakers.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I can't remember but does regulations still require HID lights to have self levelling and headlamp washers? Just wondering about MOT time?

I remember fitting HID lights in my 6th Generation Accord before the regulations came into force, the place I bought them from had special HID bulbs that could be used in a reflector headlamp without dazzling other drivers (there was a special blanking cover on the actual bulb) rather than having to upgrade my headlamp to the projector style (which I think is also regulation now?)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here's what I was thinking of: http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ormation-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Not sure if it's still current though?

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yes mate, legally if HIDs are retrofitted they need self-levelling and headlamp washers. The thing is IIRC, the way the MOT regulations are written they need to test and pass/fail those two systems, if they've never existing on that model then there's nothing which can be tested and therefore failed. I stand to be corrected.

It's a huge grey area really, as we both know lots of members here (myself included) have retrofitted HIDs with no MOT problems at all.