General 2012 Mk IX DTEC 2.2 Diesel - reliability & stop start

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by poor1, Monday 23rd Mar, 2015.

1. poor1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Dick Manchester
    Recently acquired and a great car. 'Which' places Honda Civic one point behind Lexus at 87% for reliability and all round customer satisfaction but one blot on the landscape for them when they get to be three years old is repair problems with the stop/start on the manual. I've raised it previously because I hate it and wish it could be permanently disabled like BMW have done with theirs. By the sound of it I'm not the only one that doesn't like it by a long way.

I wonder whether Honda actually take any notice of what owners say on these forums. How do you get them to react?

The only other criticism is that the gearbox is notchy, nothing like the smooth, slick changes I experience with most cars these days. It's still under warranty so it's going back to rectify. Could be the clutch is not fully disengaging, clutch pedal travel, hydraulic problem or the clutch itself. Anyone experiencing similar problems with gear changes before I start discussing it with a Honda dealers please. I can anticipate all sorts of excuses including characteristic of a diesel with heavy flywheels etc.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not aware of anyone else on here complaining of notchy gears on 9th Generation Civics, so it maybe that you do have some issue.

Let's see what other people think.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you spoken to your local Honda dealer to investigate and troubleshoot your concerns is your car in standard warranty? As for Honda you are better calling their customer contact centre they won't engage on forums , they may engage by facebook or twitter if you are into your social media.

4. poor1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Dick Manchester
    Thanks. I thought I would give it a fair trial over a couple of weeks before before taking it in for what I envisage will be the usual excuses dealers make. In fairness this is my first experience of Honda so I might be in for a pleasant surprise. It's still under the manufacturer's three warranty so it's good business for the dealer once it's sanctioned by the manufacturer.
    I will be interested to see whether any other owners have experienced similar problems with the gear changes and the possible causes.

As regards the stop/start and Honda Customer Relations, the problem there is I'm just one person raising the issue with them and one person on their own stand very little chance of success, whereas from what I have seen on the forums there are a lot of people who would like this feature permanently disabling like BMW have done after listening to customer reaction. . As for other users who do not use forums, or don't question these devices, who knows how many other don't like it. or appreciate the implications of the wear and tear let alone the poor idea. .

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    There are a few threads on the forum regarding stop start. It's worth asking your Honda dealer to check for software updates, a new set of updates were rolled out in the last month. Petrol Civics and CR-Vs had a problem with the stop start warning for battery charge insufficient. Is this the fault you are experiencing ? Diesels should not be affected with this issue but it's always benifial to keep the battery charged up. I've come across one new generation Civic with a gear change issue but there certainly isn't a model wide problem. Have a dealer take a look at and see how things go. Keep an open mind.

6. poor1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Dick Manchester
    Thanks you for your informative response. I'm not having problems with the stop/start, I simply don't like it and I believe in the long run there is the potential for a lot of unnecessary mechanical problems with it, as evidenced by the 'Which' findings.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I should have asked 'Beefy' whether he is familiar with the not so smooth clunky gear changing I'm expieriencing with a 2.2. diesel.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    unfortunately stop/start is a necessary evil in order to conform to the ever more strict euro emissions targets. I very much doubt there will be an official delete option from Honda as it is an integral part of the emissions and charging system. don't forget you can turn it off by the button on the dash. its a small annoyance having to press the button before every journey but it saves any intrusive actions. I've not personally experienced a clunky gear change as of yet but if it becomes an official concern would be amonst the first to know about it. all you can do is have a Honda dealer drive the car and ask if they will submit a technical track to Honda technical dept. they may be able to provide instruction on improving the shift feel.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which magazine are not engineers but Honda is a engineering firm, Idle stop is the way forward as it save a lot of fuel and over months and year a saving in c02 is immense. If Which is making such statements then Honda and others will instruct their solicitors to see them in court.

As Beefy has said Honda is committed more than any manufacturer out there to fix issues rather than sweep it under the carpet, if your car is not updated to the latest and greatest ECU patches then you cannot expect reliable service. You can believe what magazine write based without engineering knowledge or take the option of doing something and let Honda fix it .. simple really

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. poor1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Dick Manchester
    Glad you got that out of your system Ichiban. Please don't take it personally but you sound as though you so are indoctrinated and won't hear a word against them.I thought forum were to encourage free speech. Not trying to knock Honda because they are undoubtedly fine engineers and produce some good cars and this particular car is brilliant. Simply don't agree with these trivial ideas manufacturers come up with to appease the environmentalist and I don't see any harm in commenting upon them. As for the exaggerated claims you are making on their behalf as regards the amount of fuel this stop/start idea will save, I doubt whether it would save a thimbleful every day, not to mention the consequent replacement of parts which in themselves probably take up a greater amount of energy to produce, hugely outweighing the comparatively small savings made. As for Honda sueing 'Which', no manufacturer would be out of court against a whole ream of magazines if they followed that principle.

Many thanks Beefy for your advice and the interesting aspect of the heavier duty batteries produced to cater for the extra consumption of energy created when the engine is stopped.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Indoctrinated is one thing but not hearing what you want to hear is another aint it ? People who hate change love to get the "Free speech so they can have a moan " mantra. It's not me who needs conceiving like any new motoring advancement we all hate change but we climb on environmental hate wagon just because WE\YOU don't understand it correctly or have any inclination to grasp the new conceps. Have you stopped and looked why they doing it understand it rather than sit for the moaning bandwagon to roll in and support your belief which quite frankly based on what the man in which magazine said. .

As for the exaggerated claim do you have anything to add to counteract it or we still sitting what Which magazine said or what the man with the friendly dog down the pub said ? LOL Have you actually done any research on this topic to make a educated guess or we sitting on the Doubt fence?

Ask this question to yourself when you go on your holidays do you leave all your lights and appliances running? don't bother answering it.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If manufacturers allow you to switch off features that are meant for environmental purposes then that in my mind is in effect false advertising.

It's like claiming to be a vegetarian but then opting out of that when it selectively suits you. Doesn't work that does it !

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I don't see the argument here really. All new cars are adopting this technology. There is no need for argument on who is right or wrong? The argument for and against stop start as a whole is a massive debate, picked up on by which magazine amongst others. We all have our opinions and whether we like it or not. But car manufacturers know that in stop start traffic it's beneficial for emissions and to a lesser extent fuel economy to stop the engine when not needed. Honda have kindly provided an off button for the customers who prefer not to use the system. I don't think those customers will mind that inconvenience if they realise there road tax is cheaper because of start stop?

FirstHonda likes this.