In-Depth 2013 Accord - Technologies Overview

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Thursday 26th Apr, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Since I am buying a new 2013 Honda Accord, I will starting a few series of threads show casing the newer technologies and why it worth highlighting them.
    Active Cornering Lights
    This active cornering light system consists of the cornering lights and the active cornering light control unit.
    The cornering light is built into the headlights, and controlled by the active cornering light control unit.
    AOCUK_The_New_Honda_Accord_8thGen_Facelift (8). ACL 8th gen AOCUK.
    The active cornering light controls unit control the system based upon signals from the following components
    • Ignition switch,
    • Steering angle sensor,
    VSA modulator control unit,
    ECM/PCM,
    • Transmission range switch (A/T),
    • Gauge control module, the automatic lighting/rain sensor,
    • Combination light switch, driver's MICU, and the back-up light switch (M/T).
    The vehicle speed signal from the ECM/PCM is sent via the gauge control module through the CAN lines.
    2013 Honda Accord Active Cornering Lights Schematics  AOCUK.JPG
    The Basic Control of ACL system
    When the headlight comes on and the ignition switch is turned ON (ll), one side of the cornering light comes on under the following conditions:
    • When the vehicle speed is less than or equal 35 km/h (22 mph).
    • When the turn signal switch is turned on.
    • When the steering wheel is rotated more than rated value (preset as per Honda’s threshold).
    • When the shift lever is moved to R (A/T) or select lever is moved to reverse (M/T), and the headlight comes on, both cornering lights turn on.
    The component locations
    2013 Honda Accord Active Cornering Lights Component Location AOCUK.JPG

High Beam Support System
    The high beam support system consists of the high beam support system control unit, the driver’s MICU, the passenger’s MICU, the automatic lighting sensor, the combination light switch, and the support system indicator in the gauge control module. The system detects a source of light and borrowed light the C-MOS camera installed. The system automatically changed high beam and low beam on headlights operation. The vehicle changed high beam and low beam by a source of light that the C-MOS camera detected.
    2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Component Location AOCUK.JPG
    The combination light switch has the AUTO position. When the switch is turned to the AUTO position with the ignition switch ON (II), the high beam support system begins to work.

Automatic Lighting Sensor
    The automatic lighting sensor is installed on the front of roof, and incorporated into the same housing with the sunlight sensor for climate control. The sensor detects brightness around the vehicle with photodiode, and sends the signal to the driver's MICU and the passenger’s MICU by using the B-CAN.
    Indicator

When the system is OK, the high beam support system indicator comes on for about 2 seconds, and then goes off after turning the ignition switch to ON (II). If any malfunction in the high beam support system occurs, the high beam support system indicator comes on while the ignition switch is in the ON (II) position.
    System Control

2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Schematics  AOCUK.JPG
    The driver’s MICU and the passenger’s MICU control the high beam support system based upon signals from the high beam support system control unit (C-MOS camera), the combination light switch, the wiper/washer switch, the ignition switch, automatic lighting/rain sensor, the yaw rate-lateral acceleration sensor, the ECM/PCM, and the gauge control module. The vehicle speed signal from the ECM/PCM is sent via the gauge control module through the CAN lines. The driver’s MICU and the passenger’s MICU communicate each other by using the B-CAN line to control the system. igh beam support system operates when these conditions are satisfied.
    AOCUK_The_New_Honda_Accord_8thGen_Facelift (13).
    • Driving condition
    a. The environment illuminance is 15 lux or less
    b. The vehicle speed is at 40 km/h (24.9 mph) or more.
    c. There is no source of light of red or white forward
    d. Two or more streetlights have not been detected
    • Headlight operating condition
    a. When the headlight switch is turned to AUTO
    b. When the low beam of the headlight comes on
    c. When there is no manual operation input of headlight switch

The installation of the sticker causes that the C-MOS * camera might not activate or not work normally.

*C-MOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor):
    Electrical charge storage in each pixel is converted to voltage and then amplified for the output.

The system determines area is ±15 degrees horizontally

Activation Conditions for HBSS
    Because this system is activated according to forward situations of the vehicle, it might be not suitable for driver's sense.
    The system cannot work properly in the following driving situations, do the headlight switch manually
    • When there is ICE, snow, or dirt stuck to the windscreen.
    • In rainy, snowy, or foggy weather.
    • Where there are bright objects such as illumination.
    • Driving in a winding road.
    • Driving in an up and down road.
    2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Detecting Distance and Limits  AOCUK.JPG
    Possibility the headlights do not changes to high beam
    • When the system detects light that looks like the light of the oncoming car and the proceeding car.
    • When the system detects the light such as streetlights.
    • When the system detects red light of the signal.

Possibility that the timing that the headlights switch to low beam changes
    • When the headlights of the oncoming car are bright or dark.
    • When the taillights of the proceeding car are bright or dark
    • In rainy, snowy, or foggy weather

2. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice article IA. Like you, I'm taking delivery of a new Accord Euro, hopefully this month. These cars are just packed with luxury, technology and value for money, it was a no- brainier to decide what to buy.

3. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have ordered the Ex 2.2 I could not strecth for the extra funding , please do post pictures and specs when you get your new car. :Thumbup:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks Nikonandmac, please do post pictures of your Accord Euro.

5. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Nikonandmac, please do post pictures of your Accord Euro.

I certainly will. I'm ex-Leeds myself but (too) many years ago. I've just been measuring up the garage and guess-what? I need another 50cms or so! Need to do some manoeuvering of shelves and 'stuff' before she'll fit. :Smile: All part of the fun and the place needed a clean-up anyway.

I rather like the look of the accessory grill for the accord. With my Euro coming in Graphite Lustre it could take the edge off looking chromey executive to looking quite edgy. What do you think? Not sure of the cost, mind.

Will update my profile to show 'Paul'. The Euro is going to be a fully assembled Japanese one by the way. They are normally batched for assembly in Thailand but the floods trashed the factory. Meanwhile Australia ran out of stock and begged Japan for something to put on the shop floor. To compete with the top of the range Ford Mondeo, Hyundai i45 etc they then dropped $2k off the price. It was hard going in to bargain for extras as the only option otherthan body panels and so on was metallic paint!

Attached is the brochure pdf. I hope it's not too large. Whats the Ex 2.2, Mikem? Paul.

Attached Files:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Paul,

Nice to hear you have Leeds roots, as for the space in your garage the car is more important! :Wink: You need a typical English shed!

As for the accessory I would recommend the plastic one too with the honeycomb effect it suite the car really well. Does your car equipped with ADAS ? I didnt know your Accord were assembled in Thailand, but you are now getting a well built car from Japan :GoodJob:

I wish we got discounts ( well I have got the deal of the Century from HH so can't complain really) . Can i ask when did you order your as i ordered it on first week of March and won't get it till the first week of July.

No brochure here buddy attach it to a thread in the 8th Generation section.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In my continuing series of articles for the 8th Generation ADAS equipped cars this time we focus on LKAS and ACC.
    What is LKAS?
    It has following two functions:
    1. LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System) and
    1. LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System).
    AOC LKAS Image1.JPG
    LKAS: The LKAS system assists optimum steering torque to maintain centre position of the centre lane.LDWS: When the car has possibilities to deviate from the driving lane, a lane deviation alarm audio and visible warning to the driver.

Operation Criteria for LKAS .
    • Setup speed zone is 45-112 mph or (72-180 km/h)
    • If functions from straight line when car runs 50 mph (80 km/h)
    • This system detects a slight movement of a steering wheel.
    • This system turns on and off according to operation of the LKAS switch.
    • The line width, length, and continuousness detection of the road marking. he image captured by the LKAS camera/control unit, which in turn evaluates whether it is a lane, and recognised as a lane on the road.
    • This system can recognize complicated lanes such as broken lines, double broken lines, and blanches.
    • Data obtained from the image process system is calculated with a control unit and compute the steering torque necessary to assist via EPS Electronic Power Steering.
    • Driver's steering operation to maintain the driving lane is widely decreased thanks to this system and driving stability against disturbance such as abrupt cross wind is increased.
    AOC LKAS amount of assist torque.JPG

AOC LKAS Effect.JPG
    The Key Components

Camera

The low power consumption type 1/4 inch. C-MOS image pick up device camera is mounted on the roof rail above the room mirror.
    The LKAS camera/control unit is constructed of a LKAS camera function and LKAS control function.
    The LKAS camera function is constructed of a camera part (filter, lens, and image pick up device) and part of data process part (image process circuit and CPU). LKAS control function is contained by the CPU.
    (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor): Electrical charge storage in each pixel is converted to voltage, and then amplified for the output.

AOC LKAS Camera..JPG
    AOC LKAS Camera Function.JPG
    LKAS indicators lamps on the Dash\ Gauge & Steering Buttons

When working LKAS indicator (green) comes on and the information of working condition is displayed on the multi-information display (MID). And when detecting system problem, LKAS indicator (amber) comes on and it is displayed on the MID in some malfunction conditions.

LKAS dash function.JPG
    AOC LKAS Steering Buttons.JPG
    LKAS & ACC Overall Component Location
    AOC LKAS , ACC Camera Location..
    What is ACC?

The ACC system automatically controls the vehicle speed, within the set speed, to maintain a safe distance between the vehicle ahead.

Operation Criteria for ACC
    • When there is no vehicle ahead, ACC maintains the set speed.
    • When there is a vehicle ahead, ACC maintains a set distance within the set speed.
    • If the vehicle ahead pulls over out of the way, ACC accelerates the vehicle to the set speed and maintains that speed.
    • The ACC unit measures the distance from the vehicle ahead using the millimeter wave radar, and it determines if the target vehicle driving ahead is in the same lane by using inputs from the output shaft (countershaft) speed sensor and the yaw rate-lateral acceleration sensor.
    • If the ACC detects a slow vehicle and the distance to the vehicle ahead is closing, the vehicle speed is reduced primarily by closing the throttle, and additional slowing is accomplished by using the brakes. If the vehicle ahead is too close, an alarm sounds.
    • If a slower vehicle ahead accelerates, the throttle is opened to accelerate the vehicle (up to the set speed.) to maintain the following distance.
    ACC image 1.JPG

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The CMBS, anticipates rear-end collisions and assists brake operation to reduce the impact on occupants and vehicle damage. The system works in combination with the E-pretensioners, which retract the seat belts in anticipation of impact.
    CMBS Operation
    • Warnings are both audible (warning buzzer) and visual (MID)
    • Evasive action support and collision-speed reduction by brake control
    AOC CMBS Picture 1.JPG Core Functions of CMBS
    When a collision with a vehicle ahead is about to happen at a vehicle speed more than 15 km/h (9 mph) and the relative speed (the speed difference from the vehicle ahead) is more than 15 km/h (9 mph), the system provides warnings (audible and visual) and brake control.
    • When approaching a vehicle ahead and the distance to the vehicle ahead is very close, the system provides the collision warning (1st stage) by the MID indication and buzzer sound.
    • When the closing distance continues to decrease and there is a high risk of collision, the system applies light braking (2nd stage) with the 1st stage warning.
    • When the system judges that a collision is imminent, the system activates emergency brake control.
    CMBS Activate Condition
    The system might activate (warn the driver, apply the brakes) when it detects or encounters these situations:
    • Metallic projections on the road
    • Metallic manhole and drain covers
    • Signs and guardrails ahead
    • Low overpasses and narrow gates
    • Approaching vehicle that are turning left or right
    • Passing slower vehicle ahead
    The system may not activate (no warning or intervention) when it detects or encounters these situations:
    • Low-speed, heavy traffic (such as in a traffic jam)
    • Being cut-off by a slower vehicle
    • Approaching a vehicle stopped at an angle
    • Driving on curves
    • Approaching a bicycle or moped
    • Dirt or snow stuck on the Honda emblem
    • Heavy rain or snow

When the CMBS activates, it sounds and feels just like ABS activation.
    CMBS Control

The CMBS is operated by the ACC unit. The CMBS has the following functions:

Obstacle determination function

The system determines the potential for collision by the distance from the vehicle ahead and the relative speed based on the millimeter wave radar and the predictable course calculated by the driving conditions (wheel speed and yaw rate-lateral acceleration).

Warning function
    When there is a high risk of collision, the system sends warning directions to the gauge control module and warns by both audible and visual means.
    Brake control function

When there is a high risk of collision, the system sends brake directions to the VSA modulator-control unit and controls braking action.

CMBS indicators lamps on the dash

AOC CMBS Picture 2.JPG When a problem or malfunction is detected, the CMBS indicator comes on. With some problems or malfunctions, the condition is displayed on the MID.
    When the CMBS is turned off by the CMBS OFF switch, the CMBS indicator comes on, and the MID indicates that the CMBS is off.

AOC CMBS Picture 3.JPG

9. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like the brochure has appeared there now, IA but that could be because i have logged in. could it be feeding from my laptop? I signed for the Euro 28/4/12 (sat) so probably processed 1st May. Can't believe these salesmen; $40K sale and YOU have to ring THEM to find out how things are going. He was a newbie I suppose ... I read the grille has to be colour matched. The cost is going to blow me out, i think. Wife and i are off to singapore for a week soon (wife singaporean, her mum still over there) and was thinking of trying to link in with a club there whilst i'm over, send some photos if it happens. they love the dropped suspension look and have a posting of all the car parks with high speed bumps !

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Singapore that's one place I want to go , you seen the cost of car ownership there ..its INSANE!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had to admit HH have rung me every week without fail to tell me the progress report on my car delivery, they are also constantly checking for the best prices in case they have a new campaign. Holdcroft get a big thumps from me and a special thanks Myles Irwin. He the guy you want to buy your Honda from.

Next week I go in to sign off al the documentation and part with some cash ...that hardest part.