Suspension, Steering and Brakes 2013 CR-V EX pulling to the left

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crvgen4, Wednesday 30th Mar, 2016.

1. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Our CR-V has consistently had a problem with pulling to the left and has been in to the supplying dealer 6 times to be rectified.
    Since buying the car, we've had the same issue - when the steering is in the straight ahead position, the car pulls left - crossing a carriageway within a couple of seconds at about 50 mph.
    So to keep driving in a straight line, you need to keep the steering wheel turned slightly to the right and apply a fair amount of corrective steering input to keep the car straight.
    The garage has had it 4 wheel laser aligned several times and carried out the TSB applied for the camber bolt adjustment. It's also had front to rear rotation of the tyres, adjustment of the spline at the base of the steering column as well as the tie rod ends being adjusted.

Nothing has seemed to make any difference at all, as it still drives exactly the same as before having the work done.

Has anyone else with a 2013 EX model (petrol auto) experienced this? From what I can tell this seems to be a not uncommon occurrence, that was fixed with the new 2015 models. I drove one of those whilst our car was in the garage, and it tracked straight and true.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  2. turco New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Kenny Falkirk
    I had a 2010 EX till a few weeks ago. It also always pulled to the left and I also noticed that after a tight turn, the steering didnt always self-centre totally. Just put it down to a niggle with the car, but then I happened to change the rear diff oil and that cured it completely. I'm thinking that the diff was overdue the oil change and was a bit tight. So that after a tight turn it wasnt completely freeing off and was tending to steer the car slightly. If you've ever driven a car or say a kart with a locked diff, you'll understand what I mean.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@crvgen4

Not something I've come across, or that I've seen mentioned on here before - but we did have a Jazz owner with a similar complaint, albeit pulling to the right rather than the left. It doesn't sound the same as your issue, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Honda Jazz Pulling to the right ()

Did the dealer tell you that this was a common issue? I'm on my second 4th Generation and know two others with 4th Generation petrol/autos and haven't had any issues.

4. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    @FirstHonda - dealer didn't say it was a common issue, but it's certainly irritating. I've never had a car that needs so much attention to the steering as this one. If not all similar age and model CR-V's do it, it's less of a characteristic, and more of a flaw with this specific car.
    Shame really as (loud wiper motor noise aside) we do like the car very much.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It'll be nothing to do with the diff as they are electronic.

CR-Vs usually follow the camber of the road quite a lot if they are fitted with the larger wheels with budget tyres on them. 19" ditchfinder or skidwells etc.

6. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    @Pottermus - standard 18" wheels with Michelin Latitude HP tours fitted, but was exhibiting this issue with original OEM tyres (Michelin Latitude Sport).
    Regarding road camber, it doesn't seem to matter if it's a-road or motorway - same behaviour observed.
    Have asked the garage to suggest a next step - will see what they come back with.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    :Rolf:
    :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think I had this on my accord. I took it to another garage who redid the tracking and my steering wheel suddenly became straight again.

I've not noticed it in my 2.0 auto petrol with michelin tyres. The steering is light so never felt it pulling to the one side. Next time I'm in it I'll see if it does pull or not for you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    On the tracking sheet in the middle it should have something like "steer ahead" It was that that was out on mine. I had to turn the wheel to compensate just like you described. I'd look at tracking again. I had mine done twice with a hunter alignment in Dudley. I then saw that Ltc, briery hill had a 2015 hunter machine so let them have ago. They fixed it.

crvgen4 likes this.
  9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I must admit since I put the original 19" Orions with 45 profile Yokohamas back on the car doesn't steer as well as it did on my 17" with 60 profile Nokians. They are also much noisier and the ride is also inferior.

Keith

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@keith are you sure the 17" have 60 profile. I thought my 18" had 60 profile.(I'll have a look in a sec) I've been contemplating 17" wheels to improve comfort a but the 2nd hand wheels aren't cheap.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They still tramline with 18" wheels, but usually this is emphasized by poor quality tyres. As much as Michelin are overpriced for what they offer (IMO), they shouldn't add to the characteristic.

12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Racy - yes they are, They are my part of my winter set up with 17" Dezent alloys and 60 profile Nokians. I had to use the 60's to ensure the rolling ratio with the smaller diameter wheels was maintained. With this set up they are within 0.2% of the rolling ratio of the orginal 19's with 45ratio tyres.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -
    Re the last post - I don't know how I managed to underline everything and I don't know how to edit my posts.

Keith

Racy Jace likes this.
  13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    My 2013 MY diesel SE did this when I picked it up, the steering wheel was also out of true. Completely cured by the supplying dealer on a "snagging" visit. Cheap Chinese tyres fitted by the PO can't have helped.
    Strangely my FR-V always did this, only cured for a short while by Hunter 4 wheel tracking before returning.
    I got used to driving it with my right thumb hooked over the steering wheel spoke.

Pete C.

14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Absolutely no problem with our 2.0EXi manual on original OEM tyres which at 24k miles are now 4 years old original fitment Michelin Latitude Sport 225/60 R18 H 100. Tread depth on fronts is even 5mm & on rears was the same both sides & even at 18k miles but now at 24k miles noticed osr is even 6mm & nsr is even 5.5mm, so recently had an alignment done by main Honda dealer & car still drives true & straight and is not camber sensitive. Pre-alignment work included having rear toe adjusters copper greased as these can seize up. Most mileage is done just with driver on board.

Previous 3rd Generation 2.0SEi manual did have a very slight tendency to want to drift down the camber even after an alignment being carried out. It was tolerable so we lived with it and its original OEM Dualer tyres did not require changing at 38k miles when car was PX'd for our current CR-V. Earlier 2nd Generation 2.0SEi manual was always OK re steering for the five years we had it.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  15. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    I have the same problem. I already asked for advice. I did not find a solution yet though my alignment settings where not correct (they used CR-V gen 3 instead of 4).

I will have the wheel alignment re-done after the lifting springs are installed.

I had a similar problem with another car though which you could investigate. In a repaired puncture of a front tyre, where the repair patch is, air was coming out (just very small quantity). This caused the vehicle to pull on one site.

Because of the patch, the tyre shop could not fix it, too much rubbing made the tyre thin, thus they used a tyre repair air spray. Now the vehicle drives without pulling to one side. No wheel alignment was needed.