Electrical & Lights 2013 Honda Accord Technologies

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 25th Apr, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Since I am buying a new 2013 Honda Accord, I will starting a few series of threads show casing the newer technologies and why it worth highlighting them.

Active Cornering Lights

This active cornering light system consists of the cornering lights and the active cornering light control unit.

The cornering light is built into the headlights, and controlled by the active cornering light control unit.

AOCUK_The_New_Honda_Accord_8thGen_Facelift (8).
    ACL 8th gen AOCUK.

The active cornering light controls unit control the system based upon signals from the following components

• Ignition switch,
    • Steering angle sensor,
    VSA modulator control unit,
    ECM/PCM,
    • Transmission range switch (A/T),
    • Gauge control module, the automatic lighting/rain sensor,
    • Combination light switch, driver's MICU, and the back-up light switch (M/T).

The vehicle speed signal from the ECM/PCM is sent via the gauge control module through the CAN lines.

2013 Honda Accord Active Cornering Lights Schematics  AOCUK.JPG

The Basic Control of ACL system

When the headlight comes on and the ignition switch is turned ON (ll), one side of the cornering light comes on under the following conditions:

• When the vehicle speed is less than or equal 35 km/h (22 mph).
    • When the turn signal switch is turned on.
    • When the steering wheel is rotated more than rated value (preset as per Honda’s threshold).
    • When the shift lever is moved to R (A/T) or select lever is moved to reverse (M/T), and the headlight comes on, both cornering lights turn on.

The component locations

2013 Honda Accord Active Cornering Lights Component Location AOCUK.JPG

High Beam Support System

The high beam support system consists of the high beam support system control unit, the driver’s MICU, the passenger’s MICU, the automatic lighting sensor, the combination light switch, and the support system indicator in the gauge control module. The system detects a source of light and borrowed light the C-MOS camera installed. The system automatically changed high beam and low beam on headlights operation. The vehicle changed high beam and low beam by a source of light that the C-MOS camera detected.
    2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Component Location 2 AOCUK.JPG

The combination light switch has the AUTO position. When the switch is turned to the AUTO position with the ignition switch ON (II), the high beam support system begins to work.

2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Component Location AOCUK.JPG

Automatic Lighting Sensor

The automatic lighting sensor is installed on the front of roof, and incorporated into the same housing with the sunlight sensor for climate control. The sensor detects brightness around the vehicle with photodiode, and sends the signal to the driver's MICU and the passenger’s MICU by using the B-CAN.

Indicator

When the system is OK, the high beam support system indicator comes on for about 2 seconds, and then goes off after turning the ignition switch to ON (II). If any malfunction in the high beam support system occurs, the high beam support system indicator comes on while the ignition switch is in the ON (II) position.

System Control

The driver’s MICU and the passenger’s MICU control the high beam support system based upon signals from the high beam support system control unit (C-MOS camera), the combination light switch, the wiper/washer switch, the ignition switch, automatic lighting/rain sensor, the yaw rate-lateral acceleration sensor, the ECM/PCM, and the gauge control module. The vehicle speed signal from the ECM/PCM is sent via the gauge control module through the CAN lines. The driver’s MICU and the passenger’s MICU communicate each other by using the B-CAN line to control the system.

2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Schematics  AOCUK.JPG

High beam support system operates when these conditions are satisfied.

• Driving condition

a. The environment illuminance is 15 lux or less

b. The vehicle speed is at 40 km/h (24.9 mph) or more.

c. There is no source of light of red or white forward

d. Two or more streetlights have not been detected

• Headlight operating condition

a. When the headlight switch is turned to AUTO
    b. When the low beam of the headlight comes on
    c. When there is no manual operation input of headlight switch

The installation of the sticker causes that the C-MOS * camera might not activate or not work normally.

*C-MOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor):
    Electrical charge storage in each pixel is converted to voltage and then amplified for the output.

AOCUK_The_New_Honda_Accord_8thGen_Facelift (13).

The system determines area is ±15 degrees horizontally

Activation Conditions for HBSS

Because this system is activated according to forward situations of the vehicle, it might be not suitable for driver's sense.

The system cannot work properly in the following driving situations, do the headlight switch manually

• When there is ICE, snow, or dirt stuck to the windscreen.
    • In rainy, snowy, or foggy weather.
    • Where there are bright objects such as illumination.
    • Driving in a winding road.
    • Driving in an up and down road.

2013 Honda Accord High Beam Support Detecting Distance and Limits  AOCUK.JPG

Possibility the headlights do not changes to high beam

• When the system detects light that looks like the light of the oncoming car and the proceeding car.
    • When the system detects the light such as streetlights.
    • When the system detects red light of the signal.

Possibility that the timing that the headlights switch to low beam changes
    • When the headlights of the oncoming car are bright or dark.

• When the taillights of the proceeding car are bright or dark
    • In rainy, snowy, or foggy weather

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump for facelift accord owners with ADAS and Type-S

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

These features are also on the 4th Generation CR-V (EX guise only).

Fantastic additions.

Although I am tempted to swap the yellowy ACL lights for brighter white LED bulbs...

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The thought of changing the ACL has crossed my mind too need to find some quality one.. perhaps a group buy TDK?

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't know the size of the bulbs in the CR-V - I suspect they are the same as the Accord.

If so, then yes, I can scope out some LEDs and we can do a group buy.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let me look up the bulb type for both cars.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oki dokie :Thumbup:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Both cars have H8 35W buddy

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, leave it with me and I will source some lights....