WhatCar 2013 Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC review

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Whatcar, Thursday 10th Jan, 2013.

1. Whatcar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The latest Honda Civic has always been a bridesmaid in its class, trailing the Ford Focus and VW Golf.

One of the main reasons for this was the lack of a sub-100g/km diesel engine. This new 1.6-litre I-DTEC is the answer to that, and with impressive CO2 emissions of 94g/km and average fuel economy of 78.5mpg, it's sure to be popular with company drivers.

What's the 2013 Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC like to drive?

There's not too much rumble at tickover and at low speeds, but as the revs rise there's a distinct increase in noise levels, while a fair a bit of mechanical vibration can be felt pulsing through the pedals.

Although the engine revs willingly, most of the 221lb ft of torque it produces is delivered low down, so there's little point pushing the revs above 3000rpm.
    As a result, you'll find yourself regularly reaching for the six-speed manual gearbox (also new, and with a pleasantly short throw) to keep the engine in its sweet spot. Ultimately, though, the Civic will leave most of its sub-100g/km rivals trailing.

Turn in to a corner and you can feel the benefit of the engine's lightness, but even so the nose of the car is still rather slow to change direction. The steering is horribly remote, too. It's nice and light at low speed, which is great when you are just trundling around town, but doesn't inspire any confidence at higher speed because it fails to weight up sufficiently in corners.

Comfort is improved compared with the 2.2-litre diesel Civic, with the lighter front-end allowing for better bump absorption. The ride still isn't as supple as a Volkswagen Golf's, but is a big step forward for Honda.

What's the 2013 2013 Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC like inside?
    Like any other Civic, which means it's quirky and interesting, but very poor ergonomically. Many drivers will find the speedo is partially obscured by the steering wheel, rear visibility is awful and the dashboard has too many fiddly buttons.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dear what car why don't you come out of your Honda hate closet and just say we don't like Honda's we love German cars. just speak your mind just concentrate on German car forget about the rest..

You guys have never and will never give Honda credit for anything they do. I hear on the grapevine the German car manufactures and their press fleet departments do hold quite exquisite press launches in exotic location. where as Honda give you the keys to their car.