Tyres & Wheels 2014 Honda Accord Tyre Pressure Monitoring System -TPMS

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 11th Oct, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone buying a new Honda Accord will find the TMPS system on their car as a standard feature which will monitor your tyres pressures and give you information on your instrument cluster.

TPMS System Function
    Whenever the ignition switch is turned on, the TPMS control unit continuously monitors all four tyre pressures using a pressure sensor in each wheel. If it detects low pressure in a tyre, it alerts the driver by turning on the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator. If it detects a problem in the system, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator starts flashing.

System Layout

A – Initiators.
    B – TPMS Control unit.
    C – Tyre pressure sensor
    D – TPMS wheel
    E – Gauge assembly and TPMS indicator.

Accord 14YM Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) 1 AOCUK.JPG

TMPS Initiators
    Mounted on the top of each wheel well, each initiator sends a start/stop signal to the tyre pressure sensor in the tyre below it.

TPMS Control Unit
    Mounted above the accelerator pedal, the TPMS control unit sends signals to the initiators and receives signals from the tyre pressure sensor to verify pressure sensor IDs every time the ignition switch is turned to ON(II). It also receives signals from the transmitters for tyre pressure and the sensor condition, and it continuously monitors and controls the system.

Tyre Pressure Sensor

Pressure sensor fitted in each TPMS wheel and is an integral part of the tyre valve.

Accord 14YM Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) 2 AOCUK.JPG

TPMS Wheel
    The original equipment wheels have a ‘‘TPMS’’ mark (A) on them, and are counterweighted by adding material to counterbalance the weight of the tyre pressure sensor (B).
    Accord 14YM Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) 3 AOCUK.JPG

Low Tyre Pressue / TPMS Indicator
    The indicator is in the gauge control module: If the system detects low tyre pressure in any of the four tyres, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator comes on. If a problem in the system is detected, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator comes on after blinking for about 75 seconds. If the system is OK, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator should come on when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and then goes off 2 seconds later. If it does not, there is a problem with the system

Hints and Tips for using the new TMP System

Problems That Are Not System Faults
    Tyre Sealant
    Fluid sealant used to repair a punctured tyre can damage the tyre pressure sensor mounted on each wheel. It can prevent the system from detecting the correct tyre pressure, which sets a DTC even though the system is normal.

Cold Weather
    When the weather is extremely cold, about -20 °C (-4 °F) or colder, the output of the lithium battery in each tyre pressure sensor may drop far enough that the TPMS control unit sets a DTC for low battery voltage even though the system is normal.

Non-TPMS Type Wheels (Including Spare Tyre)
    Vehicles equipped with TPMS must use wheels made for the system. Do not use any other type of wheel. When a flat tyre is replaced with the spare tyre, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator comes on because the system is no longer receiving the signal from the flat tyre's transmitter. This is not a problem with the spare tyre.

Honda Access Genuine Alloy wheels.

please note if you order a new 14 year model Accord now comes with TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) and every 14 year model car has to have 14 year model wheels and tyres fitted for the monitor system to work.
    The NEW 17" Quartz and 18" Delta are the only applicable wheels for 14 year model Accord - 18" SIGMA's are now NULL & VOID for 14 year model Accord.

The new part numbers for TMPS alloys are

08W77TL0500AK FOR QUARTZ
    08W78TL0600CK FOR DELTA

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I wonder if it will be possible to retrofit after-market wheels with the sensors?

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    So if you have this system on your car you're not going to want to have a can of fluid sealant in your boot. Best to buy a space saver spare wheel so not to damage the sensors.

I'd expect the TPMS indicator to be in the instrument display so doubt you'd be able to retro fit it without replacing the instrument display.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc 2014 Accord equipped with TMPS will come with space saver tyres as standard and the IMS bottle will not be there :Wink:

Doc likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah if you have deep pockets ..not worth it IMHO there is a gadget called the tyre pressure gauge which you have to use manually.lol
    much cheaper too.

6. Tadpaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had these on a Peugeot 407, what a disaster. Had a slow puncture on a wheel, took it to a tyre place to look at it and they broke the sensor, and fitted a standard valve.
    Went to Peugeot to stop the alarm on the screen, to be told " certainly sir that will be £85 pounds plus fitting plus VAT for a new sensor."

For twenty quid they disabled them.

Also I am led to believe if these are fitted, then there must be no alarms when it comes to MOT time, as it is a failure. :Aghast:

7. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I had the same in Laguna, every drop in the pressure caused flashing controls on the dash, when it appears that there is leak around sensor none of the tyres shop touched it as they afraid they may damage it, when I asked at Renault how much for this tiny piece, I've been told it's just £120, no thanks :Wink:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    See you can't compare a French car technology to a Japanese car it not even in the same galaxy .. if the french have been doing this for years before Honda, the Honda have been testing it for so long before it was released.

But I will have to agree it will be expensive to fix when things go wrong.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The main thread has been updated with the latest info on Honda access alloy wheels and TMPS approved alloys.:Smile:

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Interesting to read this bud. I've got the standard EX Star alloys that were on pre-facelift 8th Gens so they must have also made them TPMS compatible after you wrote this thread. Shame in a way I love the Star alloys but a change would've been nice.

11. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mohammed Stalybridge
    Hi, new on here.
    I just got a 2015 ACCORD. I didn't do the research on the TPMS so stuck with it now.
    Honda's attitude seems bizarre. . . .
    They say that tyre sealant can damage the sensor yet they only provide sealant as standard instead of a spare!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The old adage is it may or might, but 90% of the time it will damage the sensor it so I would get a spare wheel mate.