Aftermarket Kit 2015 CR-V and Dashcam

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Scubapauly, Thursday 2nd Jun, 2016.

1. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Stevenage
    I've seen a few threads about dash cams here and on other sites. I've been trying to find one that works with the huge camera array box behind the rear view mirror on my model. I have the driver safety pack so it has the extra cameras on the windscreen.
    I looked at one of the Nextbase models but is too big and there's no room behind the mirror for it.
    Anyone got any other models that work??

Attached Files:

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    you can use Möbius which is a tiny tiny thing and doesn't have a screen so Canberra hidden away and you get accessories like different lenses or cable to put the lens away from the actual body of the camera. Not the best result but very versatile. @exec has one.

I think there is another dashcam available that is sort of a wedge shaped which might actually work for you. Have a look in the million pages of The Dashcam Thread, might be discussed there.

Scubapauly likes this.
  3. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've experienced the same issue and returned my Nextbase in the end. As well as the large box around the rear view mirror, the black crosshatch area means suction cups won't hold, or have to placed in the line of view of driver or passenger.

I've looked at smaller alternatives without suction cup, but they are either above my budget ~ £100, or have mixed reviews about quality/reliability.

4. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is what I'm finding.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The SG9665GC is the wedge kind but it's about £150 however it's very reliable. There's a cheaper clone version but it has reliability problems. Regardless of how good or bad a cam is with its features, if it's not reliable then it's a waste of time.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You can buy shorter mounts which use 3M tape instead of suction mount for your relevant camera on eBay.

7. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This could be a cheap option;

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    As mentioned above you can try a mobius, they are tiny, around the size of a small tic tac box and highly customisable, you could take them out of their housing and house them somewhere else thats appropriate etc.

Or maybe this:

legend-ary likes this.
  9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've got 2 Nextbase Professionals, one front, one rear. It is right to say it is not possible to fix them anywhere near the mirror. Even if glued to the crosshatching, the mount is so long the camera ends up virtually in the middle of the screen (and driver's view). I have my front one about halfway up the screen on the right hand side next to the side pillar. It gives a great picture and does not impact on the driving view and us easily accessible if it is necessary to operate the controls on it.

The rear one is on the interior light behind the rear screen. I don't notice it at all when driving.

The reason I went for the Nextbase is the pure quality of the video - I think it's unbeatable, if not cheap.

Keith

10. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do you mean on the driver's or passenger's side?

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex

Driver's side.

Keith

12. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you used the original mount (suction pad)? Just sounds like it would be very big.
    Do you have any pics?

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I am using the original mount. 2 pics attached. One from the driving seat and one from the rear seat. It looks larger in the photos than it does in reality and I don't even notice now.

Keith

Attached Files:

14. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the photos. I'm not sure if I'd be happy with the camera being there.

15. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Didn't work for me either, as well as finding it intrusive I thought the camera angle was impaired.

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    You'd be lucky to get any camera to fit behind the mirror given the very large housing that's there. As regards the picture, it gives a perfect view of both sides of the road, plus a good bit of the verge on both sides. As I said, I don't find it intrusive at all but I can understand why some might.

Keith

17. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

18. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Their website looks to be down.

It looks, from other sites, just like a mobius?

19. Scubapauly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just looking at the Transcend models. Small and get really good reviews....

20. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Completely different to a Mobius, I own two of those as well :Smile:

Better lens, options on resolution and Wifi connectivity, GPS, plus loads more. Admittedly still in early development, but I do like you can "speak" to the Dev team, something you won't be able to do with most, if not all of the others.

exec likes this.