Engine & Gearbox 2015 CR-V Dtec oil light problem and oil level checks

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Homelyn, Wednesday 13th Jul, 2016.

1. Homelyn New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Eric Egremont
    Hi, this is just for info and to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I have a CR-V Dtec, bought last September from new, (this is the third CR-V we have had as we love the car), but coming home on a Uk motorway last weekend we got a red oil low warning light, after removal to the garage they could find nothing wrong with it, but added 0.6l oil, it now runs like before.

the service engineer stated that with CR-V's i should check the oil level everytime I re-fuel !!!!, I have never had to do this in the past with previous CR-Vs, its only 10 month old. Should it use this much oil? how often do you CR-V guys check your oil levels and do they change at all, I would have thought with a new engine this should not happen.

Any thoughts?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @Homelyn and welcome to HK!
    I haven't come across such as issue with CR-Vs that we have on here and I very much doubt it's normal to top up oil on such a new car.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This was another reason why I steered clear of the facelift / 1.6 I-DTEC engine. I know that the 2.2 requires possible oil top up ever 1500 miles, depending on journey types but the 1.6 is too bloody fussy an engine.

In any case, its better that warning light came on than the engine seizing up, so kudos to the technology to flag it up.

Hopefully by the time the 5th Generation CR-V arrives, depending on the engine, and I hope to God its not the stupid turbocharged 1.5 petrol, I don't think I'll be buying a diesel CR-V again. But I'll cross that bridge later in 2017 when the new model arrives.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It will be very useful to get some feedback from other 1.6 owners.

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    The only thing I can think of the excess oil is the run in period of the piston rings setting in.
    But as Nels said we need other members with the same car to give advice.
    BTW how many miles has the car done since purchased.

6. Homelyn New Member Getting Started

Hi guys, thanks for your input, the car has done 8000 approx

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Do you remember what the oil level was to start with?

8. Homelyn New Member Getting Started

Hi oil level 3 month ago was between high and low levels

9. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    0.6L sounds about right then as its 1L between low and high marks on the dip stick.
    What is the oil level now on the dip stick is it up to the max ?

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The handbook for every diesel car I've owned in recent years says to check the oil at every re-fuelling.

Manufacturers are just covering themselves.

My Accord diesel used some oil, about one top up between services. My VW diesel used more. My petrol CR-V hardly uses any. My petrol MINI has never needed a top up between services - never - in 12 years.

As long as you check the level every couple of weeks and top up if required you'll be fine.

11. busmeister Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

0,6l on 8000 are absolutly normal. My good old Audi A4 2.0 TDI use 0,5l at 1000-2000km. It runs 200000km without problems.
    Take a look at your owners manual about that. Page 548 (in German) "Oil Check" says "up to 1l per 1000km"

12. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Hmm, my pet piece of wood must be getting tired of being touched. 30,000km, no oil warning, and no oil added at any fuel stop.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used to check oil level every month or so, but now check it every time I fill up. The change in habit had more to do with giving me confidence about DPF regen performance and not oil use. That said I had to top up 0.5lt at 8,000 miles, although drop in level seemed to happen all of a sudden (I.e. in between fill ups). No change in oil level over next 2,500 miles and then oil changed during service.

14. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @Lisbon, so you are using 10k miles as the oil change interval? Someone (@Ichiban, IIRC) suggested 6000 was the ideal interval.

15. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@MikeM-271048 Yes, given the mileage I do (10k per annum) and having a service plan, I decided to stick to annual oil change. I just make sure the dealer uses the recommended engine oil and stick to premium diesel.

16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Ah - I am driving nearly twice as far. And I pay for the service on a "as-used" basis.