Detailing 2015 CR-V : White Orchid Pearl

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by FirstHonda, Monday 25th May, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Today was the first clean of my new CR-V in "white orchid" pearl.

I've not had a white car since 1991 (!) so wasn't quite sure what to expect in terms of shine / finish or what to use to get the best results.

So, I've used only products already in my collection - but any other recommendations to maximise the look are most welcome.

I'm broadly happy with how it has turned out - mainly I can see it will be nice to have a car where I'm not always worried about swirls in the paint as they won't show much (or at all) on white...:Grin:

Wash : Bilt-Hamber Auto Wash
    Paint prep : Dodo Juice Lime Prime (very easy to use, impressive stuff)
    Wax : Swissvax Best of Show (well, why not! Should give great protection as well as a good finish)
    Exterior trim : Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
    Door seals : AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care (always worth wiping these over a couple of time a year)
    Chrome / Metal trim : Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish
    Interior Trim : Poorboys Natural Look
    Glass : Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol
    Wheels : Bouncer's Looking Sweet

IMG_0071. IMG_0069. IMG_0070. IMG_0074. IMG_0068. IMG_0072. IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0067. IMG_0073.JPG

legend-ary, SpeedyGee, Nels and 2 others like this.
  2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good to see you've not been a couch potato this Bank Holiday Monday.
    Joking aside, she's gleaming.

Quick question. The AG Vinyl and Rubber Care has mixed reviews online. How do you rate it @FirstHonda ?

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I'm not a huge fan, JD.

I only use it for rubber seals (which it seems to keep nice and flexible, stops them sticking in the Winter too) and dressing plastic parts under the bonnet.

For interior trim I find the finish too shiny and a bit sticky, even when hardly using any. There are much better products IMHO - Poorboys Natural Look being my favourite for years now, as it does exactly what it says it does i.e. cleans and removes marks whilst maintaining an "as new" finish.

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

PB goes on the list then. Thank you Ed. :Smile:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Should add, it comes in a big bottle - I have used less than one fifth in the 5 or 6 years that I've had it, so it is very economical.

The icing on the cake is that it smells fantastic as well...:Laughing:

Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing - 32oz - Elite Car Care

Nels likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I love AG products but I agree with @FirstHonda here - the rubber and vinyl is too glossy on the dashboard and tends to leave oily residue. Great in the engine department and keeping door seals pliable and preventing the doors from icing up in the winter, but not for dashboards.

Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^They do some good stuff, no doubt about it, but I find the market has moved on quite a bit over the last decade.

For "everyday" products available on the high street I tend to find that Meguiars outperforms AutoGlym, although I accept it is a very much a matter of opinion.

Once you've used Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel, you'll never use AutoGlym Bumper Care again. Their tyre dressing product is hopeless IMHO (as is the Megs "Hot Shine" version as it goes, but the Megs Endurance is superb), and their "Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner" is below par too. Super Resin Polish will always have a place in my kit though, as will their insect remover and their glass polish for stubborn water marks.

Some good threads on products, we should give them a bump!

Detailing - Your Favourite Products

Detailing - The products that time forgot...

Detailing - Best window cleaner

Detailing - Tyre dressings - Swissvax vs Meguiars

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I got some Endurance, following your comparison last year Ed. It is great. I really like it.
    I'm keen to get a quality interior product too, so I'll be looking into the PB. :Smile:

I may get some AG Rubber and Vinyl for the seals and engine bay.

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

I think I need to get some of the Meg tyre gel and the PB dressing to add to my collection as well.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Endurance is 3 for 2 at Halfords.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Payday soon.... :Grin:

Nels likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Don't forget the Megs applicator to go with it. Sounds ridiculous, but it makes it SO much easier to use...

IMG_0028. IMG_0029.

Nels likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

PB ordered. :Grin:

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  15. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Very nice indeed

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I managed to get another coat of Swissvax "Best of Show" on yesterday, and critically was able to leave the car in full sun for a few hours afterwards.

This morning (albeit it has been rained on!) the finish is noticeably more reflective :Smile:

IMG_0050.

legend-ary, Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  17. andy sinclair Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just looking at your CR-V,looks brill and i notice you use many of the products i used, until cquartz came along it is just a good wash with CG citrus shampoo and a top up of reload silicon and i am done which gives me time to do those little bits of the car that you never have time to do but overall make your motor stand out from the rest.

FirstHonda likes this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

This morning the CR-V got a much needed clean after a very busy month, including some gentle off-road on very muddy farm tracks late last week...:Ermm:

Safe to say, she was looking a bit sorry for herself (I forgot to do 'before' photos but trust me, mud splattered!), but taking the chance that it wasn't going to rain this morning (it didn't thankfully) I was able to get out and sort her out. :Smile:

My Winter method and products:

1, Meguiars APC (diluted) sprayed into the wheel arches, onto the lower sills, and lower body panels.
    2, APC left to work for about 5 minutes, then the whole car was sprayed with a (normal) hose on the 'jet' setting. Lots of mud removed!
    3, Car then washed using Bilt-Hamber Autowash, two buckets (with grit guards) and three mitts - Yeti's Fist for the upper panels, Wookie's Fist for the lower panels and Megs Synthetic for the wheels.
    4, Once rinsed, dried using a Megs Drying Towel.
    5, Glass cleaned with AutoGlym 'Fast Glass.'
    6, Bodywork and wheels finished using Dodo Juice 'Red Mist' protection detailer. If any of you guys haven't tried this product, you really should - at this time of year, as long as the paintwork has had some good previous coats of a good quality wax, it is a) fast and b) spectacular.
    7, Tyres dressed with Megs 'Endurance' gel.

For only 2 hours spent - and it isn't perfect as I didn't dress the exterior plastics - it has come up VERY well.

Half-Man, Half-Biscuit used to sing that '...there is nothing better in life, than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro.' Well, I can tell them that there is - cleaning a filthy white car in the Winter...:Laughing:

And some more good news. After now 4k miles on a variety of roads, I still only have one (small) stone chip, low down on the front bumper. My 8th Generation Accord used to chip if I drove past some gravel and it looked at it a bit funny (!), so I'm interested to know what Honda have done to improve the durability so dramatically.

IMG_0078. IMG_0077. IMG_0079.

legend-ary, K24 CL9 GUY and Nels like this.
  19. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Looks very nice indeed

FirstHonda likes this.
  20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's the little sticker in the 1/4 light that sets her apart from the rest :Happy:

FirstHonda and wanner69 like this.