Autocar 2015 Honda HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC CVT review

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Tuesday 7th Jul, 2015.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

2015hondahrv-04.

Honda's reborn HR-V crossover offers Qashqai-rivalling interior space and practicality, but this automatic version feels outpaced The Honda HR-V is the car with which the Japanese manufacturer wants to take advantage of Europe's lucrative crossover market. While the HR-V's exterior dimensions place it in roughly the same league as the Nissan Juke and Skoda Yeti, Honda has made itclear that it intends to steal customers from the segment above, and namely from the likes of the Nissan Qashqai and Renault Kadjar.On paper at least, the HR-V makes a good case. Take for example its boot capacity, which soundly trumps that of the Qashqai in terms of seats-up space, with 453 litres versus the Nissan’s 430 litres. The Renault Kadjar only slightly beats the HR-V here, offering 472 litres of storage space with its rear seats in place.The HR-V will arrive in the UK this September powered by two engines - a 128bhp 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol and a 118bhp 1.6-litre i-DTEC diesel, both of which are available with a six-speed manual transmission. It's the petrol-powered HR-V we're driving here, but in combination with the optional CVT.Though an eye-grabbing design is often hard to pull off in this segment, Honda has managed to create a muscular pseudo-SUV face for the HR-V. It's a design that has already shown great promise in other parts of the world, such as the US and Japan, where this new model has been on sale for more than a year.

Source: AutoCar

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would like to drive the Petrol HR-V It will be good not as bad as AC suggest it is. There is a knack of drive petrol Honda these journos are lazy more interested in torque.

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I dunno, 98lb ft of torque is really low, I would imagine that would feel really sluggish in a car that is actually fairly big. What happened to those earth dreams turbo engines? Those I imagine would have been ideal.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Is this being marketed as a race car now lol

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Agreed, but I am more concerned with joe public's perception rather than journo's in relation to the 'lack of torque' with the amount of diesel cars around that can provide this.
    Unfortunately not everyone understands how to get the best from a petrol Honda unit nor do a lot of people want to have to learn how to do it properly. We live in a society that if its too difficult then its bucked out.

I thought the HR-V looked well @ Geneva and got a good look round it and it ticks a lot of boxes but that choice of engine is a tad worrying in terms of its delivery. No doubt the main push will be the I-DTEC unit anyway and people will think big car therefore cost too much to run if petrol unit installed

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    More like an OAP mobile to be driven in 1st gear everywhere maximising the tourque :Fear:

At the end of the day most people use their cars to get from A-to-B and they want to in the least amount of effort and simplicity, most people won't enjoy ragging a car to get to the powerband, it can be quite tiring at times.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I would rather have cheaper road tax and fuel bills than a bigger engine that will cost me more to run. Mind you ime not after performance personally. It's not a box I need ticking if I was looking for a new car. But I see where everyone is coming from, there is nothing more annoying than an underpowered car especially when overtaking and so on. I just hope Honda get the balance right. There certainly pushing there 1.5 petrol and 1.6 diesel units hard.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Thats where having a bigger engine range comes into its own, then different people can spec up something to their needs, something the germans triumph in, you go into a VW dealer and you have the options from ancient petrol engines to 1.2 tfsi, 1.4 tfsi, 1.6tdis, 2.0 tdis etc. With Honda usually you have two and at a stretch 3 engines choices that arent hugely different to each other.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You seen the VED rates announced there will be a middle 140 quid road tax now.:Happy:

VED car tax bands for cars first registered from 2017 onwards
    Emissions (g/km of CO2)First year rateStandard rate
    0£0£0
    1-50£10£140
    51-75£25
    76-90£100
    91-100£120
    101-110£140
    111-130£160
    131-150£200
    151-170£500
    171-190£800
    191-225£1,200
    226-255£1,700
    Over 255£2,000
    Cars above £40,000 pay £310 annual supplement for five years

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Most people want their cars to be painless to own - reliable, quiet, practical, smooth and economical. I'm sure the HR-V will deliver on that, just as the CR-V does.

Journalists TELL people that they want a "plush" German interior with dense plastics, racing car handling and lots of power. They worry about 0-60 times, even now.

The sad thing is that so many people believe them, and then end up with an Audi that has an uncomfortable rock hard ride or a BMW with that special "rear wheel drive" handling that punts you towards the nearest hedge in the wet when you least expect it.

Even worse, those people then spend their time justifying their purchase and speaking about torque or handling like they know what they are talking about.

Well, I don't and I won't. I want a comfortable, soft, quiet and smooth car. I don't want it to break down. I don't care what the journalists say, what plastic badge is on the front or worry what the brand "says" about me.

That's why I drive Honda.

:gohonda:

Beefy likes this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ To add to that, most of that is bogus, Audi's handle like a cart, understeer galore, they do not know how to make a proper drivers car, even their hot sport models lack any flair in the driving department. BMW is another one that is a bit of a mirage, they are not any special to drive than your Mondeo and the regular models drive like a FWD car, most people who drive them do not even know they are RWD!

Forgot to add, the lower end models like 3 series, 1 series have lots of cheap plastics, its only from 5 series onwards that the materials are plush, Audi's also have lots of build quality niggles, rattles etc and fit and finish is not premium, check out the panel gaps on the interior panels on the lower models.

FirstHonda likes this.