Electrical & Lights 2015 Model - Auto headlights

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by grumpyscot, Saturday 9th Jan, 2016.

1. grumpyscot New Member Getting Started

My auto headlights come on even when the sun is shining directly at the car and in broad daylight. Not always, but often. A complete pain the backside. Does anyone know if the sensitivity can be adjusted or should I tell the Honda dealer to repair it under warranty?

Also, I find that the plastic internal door handles of the left side of the car rattle badly - it seems they are made of two pieces whereas the right side of the car is one piece! Have had to stick chewing gun on the plastic to stop the rattles. Anyone else have this problem and should I get Honda to fix this under warranty? Car is March 2015 model with 6,000 miles - bought two months ago.

Thanks,

Grumpyscot (I'm not really grumpy - my wide just says I am!)

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is your CR-V still under warranty?
    If so, just take it back.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    From what you say, it is well within the warranty period, in which case, as Nels recommends, take it straight back to the dealer. If you start messing around with it yourself you could give the dealer a get out from the warranty.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Precisely!

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@grumpyscot - please :garage: as it will help members to help you.

I haven't had the headlight 'issue' with my 4th Generation CR-V, but did have it with my previous Accord and the VW Tiguan before that.

It seemed to only occur in the Winter, and the car(s) got caught out by shadows, even when it seemed bright and sunny. I didn't consider it to be a fault, and it didn't bother me.

As others have said, for both issues just take it to the dealer and let them resolve under warranty - that's what it is for! :goodluck:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not headlights but my BMW auto wipers would go crazy every now and then. The Shogun sensor however is the most accurate I've ever experienced!

I read carbuyer owner reviews this morning about the CR-V auto headlights doing the same as you.

7. grumpyscot New Member Getting Started

I guess a trip to the dealers is called for. So far, they haven't been too helpful - maybe because I bought the car from a Honda dealer 120 miles away and not them. I actually had to pay to get the tracking adjusted - at only 4,800 miles. They claimed it was "fair wear and tear". However, got in touch with the people I bought it from and they refunded the cost.

If only the original dealers were closer to Edinburgh!

8. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi Grumpy (I have same prob with wife) How do you know Headlights are actually 'ON'? The green sidelight indication comes 'ON' all the time when Auto selected but Headlights might not actually be 'ON'. If the indication is green Headlight with an 'A' in a circle, then the range, timing and sensitivity can be adjusted by dealer connecting to OBD system.

9. grumpyscot New Member Getting Started

Bomber - thanks for your comments. Can see lights shining on car in front when I'm stopped at traffic lights. My light indicator only comes on when headlights come on or I take it out of auto. DRLs are on all the time (as they should be!).

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Car handles will be an easy fix under warranty.

As for the auto lights, they are fine. Nothing wrong with them. My two 8th Generation Accords and previous 2013 CR-V all came on in daylight in winter, because the winter sun is so weak and the sensor simply cannot detect enough of its rays to keep the lights off.

Just watch in the summer, the auto lights will behave perfectly. Its the crappy weather of this rain-sodden island thats the problem - the dealer has nothing to fix. And unless they know someone in NASA, they can't fix the sun either.

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Much ado about nothing frankly.

Its a dusk sensor which triggers the lights to come on when the strength of the daylight weakens. Whether thats passing under trees, bridges, tunnels - I don't see that its a problem, Sure, the sensor may be very sensitive, but a lot of those whinging morons on that Jazz site will say almost nothing when summer comes and the sensor doesnt come into action until the sky has turned pitch black.

The fact is, they have had these cars at the time of year when daylight strength is weakening - what part of that don't these idiots understand?

13. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Not much of a problem up here in the frozen north, as it's dark from 4 pm until 8 am in winter and light until 11 pm to 1 am in summer. My CR-V auto's work fine once I had the range and delay adjusted. now 200 yds and 2.5 secs. If yours are set at over 500 yds they won't stay on for long. Highway code and law says dipped must be used within 100 yds of another vehicle.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've got OEM auto lights on the FR-V/Edix and they work perfectly. Yes they do come in when going under a slightly long/wide bridge but so what !

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't see how people would be that bothered as you'd hardly notice it happening. Auto wipers is more important to be spot on I reckon.