Autocar 2017 Honda CR-V to grow in size

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Tuesday 7th Jul, 2015.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

32132_cr_v_prototype.

Next version of the CR-V looks set to grow and could offer seven seats as standard when it goes on sale in 2017

The next-generation Honda CR-V will be a larger and more premium product than the current car when it arrives in 2017, Honda’s head of cars in the UK Leon Brannan has confirmed.

Speaking to Autocar at the launch of the 2015 Honda HR-V in Lisbon, Brannan said the car would become larger in order to make room for the new HR-V in Honda’s product range.

Brannan also hinted that the new CR-V would offer seven seats as standard and four-wheel drive, in a bid to rival more premium products such as the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Volvo XC60.

“CR-V is a massive pillar for us,” Brannan said. “I’m not sure that HR-V in the UK will ever become a four-wheel drive car, most people in this segment will vote with their feet and buy two-wheel drive. So if we can assume that HR-V will ever only be two-wheel drive, then you’ve got to proposition [with CR-V].

“Can we compete with Land Rover as a brand? That’s less about CR-V and more about Honda as a brand. Now we have the growing vehicle line-up you’ll see more communications about Honda.”

The interior of the new CR-V is expected to borrow heavily from the HR-V, including that car’s touchscreen infotainment system and dashboard layout.

Engines could mirror those found in the HR-V, including the 118bhp 1.6-litre diesel and 128bhp 1.5-litre petrol.

The next Honda CR-V is expected to be built in Canada before being imported into the UK.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Source: AutoCar

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Malibu you can have your CR-V now this one will be made in Canada. Its time for me to get this I want a CR-V off my back.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I can see it competing with land-rover if they put those little engines in it. I still feel Honda need a larger engine line up option to compete in the so called premium section. Give people the choice.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Graham that chap Leon is in cloud cuckoo land if he expects those engine to be powering a proper off-road alternative to the landy. The key strategic strength of HUK is deluded.com and you wonder how on earth is the guy at the head of operation.

5. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    You mean Malibu needs to wait 2 years? I know you absolutely HATE Swindon CR-V's but MLibu really liked mine!!!! LOL!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am paying for the sodding car so she can wait

7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    And they talk about the Scots being tight. We learnt "tightness" from Yorkshire!!!!

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get maximum bang for my buck the 8th Generation will be 5 years old by then, always tell her good things happen to people who wait

9. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    One gay she'll realise what you're up to CJ!!!!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry, error - should be one day

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I like the sound of the CR-V becoming bigger, with 7 seats and more upmarket. But with those weedy engines? I don't think so, the eraly HR-V reports reviewers are saying that 1.5 unit is underpowered, other rivals stick turbo on theres so they have enough torque and power, the diesel is also slow. They need a better engine lineup if they want to compete, thats where the Germans come on top, VW for example have a broad engine lineup, there is no excuses for world largest engine manufacturer to not have better choices!

11. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    This Brannan bloke doesn't seem to have a clue does he?

Bigger CR-V with seven seats and more upmarket = more expensive. Why 7 seats anyway. Most people want the load area for loads, not two extra seats with probably limited head room

Compete with a Discovery Sport or a Volvo XC60? Both are currently in the price range £32-£41K. Will the new CR-V be any cheaper? Doubt it. BMW X3 and Audi Q5 live here too. I can't see Honda's big USA market suddenly trading in for a new model, or the mumsie school run bus being suddenly traded in for a lesser perceived, lower status perceived, make either

There will not be four wheel drive on the HR-V - but the CR-V will have it. If it is the same four wheel set up as it already has I don't see it competing at all with the Discovery Sport. It will also need a much higher ground clearance

BHP for Discovery: 190
    BHP for X60: 181-215
    BHP for CR-V; 118-128

Come off it Brannan.

:Rant:

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Finally sense seems to prevail (slightly) and CR-V comes as 7 seater! :party:

Is this Brennan bloke for real?

One moment we are told the Accord is competing in a sector that is dominated by German (Premium) brands and the cost to compete is (allegedly!) eye-watering and hence that is why Honda will leave the segment, never to return......

Then later we are given hints about the CR-V competing with the LR Discovery and Volvo XC60; a segment which, incidentally, is over-run with offerings from Audi and BMW (although horrid as they are) and Mercedes. Is the cost to compete in this segment not eye-watering? :Foolish::brickwall:

It seems it's a case of $#yt£, $#yt£ and even more $#yt£ coming out of the mouths at HUK HQ.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Exactly. That's partly how Audi does so well. You want it, they'll make it.

How many engine options are there on A4 alone for example?

Who would've thought 4 door coupe A5 would be worth doing? Well they've done it and it's working. Imagine Honda offering Accord coupe, never mind 4 door Accord coupe! :dribble:

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd be quite interested in seven seats and if they fold flat then storage isn't compromised. Tie in a powerful engine and locking diff then it could be a force to reckon with?

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I don't see whats wrong with 7 seats, if they do it with the magic seat system where it folds flat leaving large cargo space then all the good for it, it opens the car up to a wider market. I would imagine the car would be slightly bigger rather than become really huge like an XC90. All the extra additions and upmarketness would probably take the price to 32-40k range, Honda can make a product that befitting of that price range, but the problem as ever will be convincing people to pay that much amount of money for a brand most in the UK still don't see as upmarket or fancy enough of a badge, so I guess they run the risk of losing current CR-V owners who will be potentially priced out of it with the price hikes!

15. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    If I wanted seven seats I would probably opt for an MPV. Honda UK don't make these any more either. Ford S Max and Galaxy, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan etc. I don't think Honda UK are going to be very competitive in any market soon

Phil

John Dickson likes this.
  16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It's certainly an interesting development. Let's see what comes of it, it's a sound idea but put into practice ime not so sure it's in line with the competition like many have said. Honda are sticking to there guns with the smaller less polluting engines it seems.

17. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    A 1.6 ...............................................I don't believe it

18. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Honda do brilliant family cars 7 and 8 seats already (Freed, Stream, Stepwgn, Odyssey, and Mobilio) why do a SUV as well? The CR-V is excellent as a soft-roader leave it as such and start selling the fantastic products they already make. I really annoys me that I have no choice but to go with grey imports to get the vehicle I want from a manufacturer I have loved since 1985.

John Dickson and Phil P like this.
  19. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda seem hell-bent on destroying their presence in almost any UK/EU market segment they are in.

FR-V for example was an excellent vehicle and only had one competitor (Fiat Multipla) therefore a guaranteed market.....but they went and dropped it.

Shuttle / Odyssey was an excellent competitor to Galaxy/S Max/ Sharan etc but again it was dropped for no apparent sensible reason.

The only reason I can think of is sour grapes. They weren't built in Swindon so the axe was inevitable :spiteful:

20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Phil P and DeviateDefiant like this.