General 2017 Honda NSX First Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Monday 26th Oct, 2015.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    exec likes this.
  2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thats a good write up, It's a world away from the original NSX but times have moved on I guess and its very much a modern high tech supercar and Honda have partly done it their own way.

Looks superb in the black, styling is wonderfully sleek and graceful.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looks absolutely fantastic

0-60 is 3 secs.. nice

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

But But But 'The non-VTEC, non-balance-shafted, port- and direct-injected, DOHC, 24-valve, 3,493cc V-6 produces 500 HP from 6,500 to its 7,500-RPM redline'
    NO VTEC!!
    When was the last time that happened in a Honda world? I can only think of Honda Jazz/Fit's iDSI engine and not much else...

6. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    Non VTEC... I know I run a D16 but I... I...... Hmm for power delivery smoothing perhaps? To make the car easier to drive and more predictable? (Clutching at straws here) ... I mean the 'Muricans had to have a reaso--

ah. There it is.

"BECAUSE: 'MURICA"

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The days of VTEC is long gone, their engines are now turbocharged so VTEC is pointless. Honda is pretty much like all the other sheep now, no more USP of VTEC, so hold tight on to those old VTEC cars :Smile:

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think back in original NSX days it was a USP. These days with even Yaris running VVTis it was no longer 'the thing' to experience. Even with the new CTR VTEC is actually running on lower rpms to counter the turbo lag and disengages when boost kicks in. Which kind of makes sense as VTEC was Honda's answer to unreliable Turbos of the later 80s - 90s as it gave engine two distinct profiles without complications of using a turbo.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I can only guess that the turbo route is primarily to keep the emissions down whilst retaining power until other technologies are fully developed?

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    A VVTI in a Yaris is completely different to that of a DOHC VTEC, the experience is totally different, you can argue that pretty much all other manufacturers had developed their own variable valve system and many did offer similar experience to VTEC such as VVTI in the performance Toyota's and Mitsubishi's MIVEC system, but in todays world if Honda did develop a N/A VTEC it would still be a USP amongst the sea of all the turbocharged engines these days which pretty much all drive the same way. A high revving VTEC is different experience to turbocharged engine. VTEC is what made Honda it is today and what gave it a huge following and legendary status, it is or was part of their DNA and identity, now its all gone, i'm not really sure what their identity is these days, they seem a bit lost, the new CTR and NSX somewhat heralds in a new era for Honda, but I struggle to differentiate them from the rest, there not very unique in anyway.

I'm not sure we will see any new non-turbo N/A based tech for a long time if ever, as you say Arctic turbo is to keep emissions down and that is the easiest and most cost effective route to use, the future probably lies in hybrid and hydrogen and we will probably have them making fake sounds out of speakers to give them some artificial life.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Nothing would put me off a car more than artificial engine notes, even if it's just enhanced!