Service & Maintenance 25,000 mile service report

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Quacker, Tuesday 1st Jul, 2014.

1. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No significant issues to report over 25k miles in 16 months. Brake pedal rubber worn through and clutch pedal rubber very nearly worn. Not changed at this service but they won't last long. My Juke has 25k miles on and the original rubbers are like new. This is a minor issue of course and wouldn't be mentioned if there was something else of note to report.

During service it was noted that the original tyres have 4mm of tread on all four corners, although I would say 3 at the front and 4 at the back personally. The brake pads are reported to be 50% front and back.

Last weekend I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. During the outward journey the tyre pressure warning system was activated. I had adjusted the tyre pressures before the journey, which was the first time in its life that I have done so. They had not lost pressure but I gave them a sniff extra to achieve the fully loaded target. I reactivated the system at the hotel and it did not reactivate over the 200 miles back and since. This activation might have been due to the slightly greater tread depth at the rear which is the result of not rotating the wheels from new.

Average over 480 fast miles, mainly motorway, is 43mpg according to the dashboard. I have yet to top up the tank at a commercial fuel station to check the dashboard computer's accuracy, although I have no reason to doubt it.

During the service the two main recall's were done. No action on brake discs, which I already knew were fine. The DPF update was done, but I have yet to drive it to see if anything has altered from the driver's point of view. Never had any issue as it was and have yet to notice a regeneration take place.
    The other thing I requested and they noted was the 4WD software update. At some point in the near future there is no doubt that I will check its effectiveness. This should be quite easy to judge because the 4WD was absolutely hopeless as it was. I don't need it very often but when I do need it, I expect it to work, not sit there doing nothing or I might as well have bought a 2WD car.

I really like this car and am considering upgrading the Juke to a second CR-V in late Autumn or early 2015. My hope is that there will be a high power 1.6 diesel nine speed automatic available by then. By late Feb 2015, this current CR-V will have covered 36,000 miles or so and I am so generally pleased with its performance that I would prefer to keep it rather than the Nissan Juke. Nothing wrong or has gone wrong with that either mind you. It's just that the CR-V is more practical and smoother to drive and seems to be a higher quality product somehow. Nicer engine and specification and more flexible and refined engine.

DeviateDefiant, Zoot and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good review, Wish more petrol CR-V owners gave their feedback but you won't see them on the forum as they never have issues. :Icecream: JK

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^
    Neither to I-DTEC owners!

Thats why I havent done a report - there is nothing TO report!

Aside from the obligatory tyre/brake wear, the CR-V has been bloody perfect! :eek:

4. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent

Nothing to report from here either:Happy:

Phil P

5. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

update

At the 25000 mile service the DPF software update was carried out. Since then the car has consistently reported an improvement of between 3 and 5 MPG. I waited until today to confirm this as I have a long motorway journey. Instead of the previous 42 to 43 MPG, today I'm getting a reported 45.5
    I have no way of knowing whether this is a real improvement or a software change to the reporting in the dash, as I never fill at commercial pumps, always at home from my own storage.
    Assuming it is an accurate improvement, why has nobody else mentioned it?

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry yes, the DPF software update makes a huge difference.

I did a jaunt from Worcester right up to the Highlands and back - some 800-odd miles and the MPG averaged a whopping 68.2.

Even on my daily commute, the MPG sits well above 55mpg. I didnt report/talk about it in case other owners thought I was bragging or lying - neither of which is the case!

7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Still getting 51mpg here, and expect it to rise as I have only travelled 5000 miles in 15 months. DPF software update done back in April this year

I also suspect the warmer weather might have something to do with it

Phil

8. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll be travelling some 500 miles between Monday and Tuesday next week and probably some 1500 miles between now and a week next Tuesday. Will try and drive with economy in mind to see what I can get while maintaining reasonable speed. Can't really see it achieving much more than 45-46 MPG, but we'll see.
    Will be time for new tyres by then I expect.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Depends on the journey you have really - whether its all motorway or whether you mix with urban stop/start/traffic etc. I'm sure you'll get 50 and above if you're on the m-way :Niceone:

10. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do quite a lot of motorway driving and until the software update done at the service, about 44 would be the best I could manage at the legal limit and up to 10% more. I'll be surprised and delighted if it manages a true 50mpg, which is about the best we get from the Nissan Juke 1.5 diesel on long journeys with a high proportion of motorway.

11. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Q

Are you a gentle driver?

My MPG figures are for 70 - 75 mph on Motorways, without wellying the accelerator, and a little lifting of the foot going downhill. On long downhill runs, for curiosity, I sometimes put the gear in Neutral and roll at 70-80, just to see how high I can get the MPG figure for that bit of Motorway. Best I've doe so far is 76mpg. Soon changes going up the other side, but never below 48mpg. Nor do I seem to get above 2,500 revs very much, except for passing OAP's or caravans in country lanes.

However, I suspect TDK drives with a bit of welly:Yahoo:and still gets good MPG so perhaps he adds a bit of lighter fuel to his diesel:lol:

What's the secret TDK?

Phil

12. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At 26,000 miles I have the original tyres and the brake pads are reported to be only half worn. I don't hang about but neither do I hammer it. I would say that my economy figures are about average. They are certainly about what I would expect from the car.
    I suspect that many of you are quoting spot rates rather than averages over a few hundred miles. Figures like 70mpg going downhill are certainly not representative of the car or anything. Going downhill on a steeper road should see an infinite MPG, but it means nothing in an average driving period of any length. In fact 70mpg is even a rare achievement from my Fiat Panda 1.3 diesel.
    For what it's worth I expect the 1.6 two wheel drive CR-V to easily exceed 50mpg in real life.

Its the same with my new Ford Ranger 2.2 pick-up which is an automatic, which incidentally has the same engine size, power and torque as the Honda. I see people quoting mid 30's MPG for Rangers but in my line of work 30mpg is only achievable on a nice run at 2am in the morning and not exceeding 50mph and sticking to that speed constantly where possible. My weekly average is around 22mpg and when towing it comes down to between 16 and 18mpg. This is about what the previous manual vehicles did on the same duty cycle, so I'm not complaining.

In general all my vehicles have at least two regular drivers, and not necessarily the same two. My wife and I share the Honda driving and today I did 80 miles and she drove 40, which is about the average proportion when MPG is worked out. She drives much slower than I do but I tend to get the better economy figures.

Another comparison for the Honda is with my friend's Evoque 2.2 diesel automatic 6 speed. He has been stuck in the mid 30's MPG from the start and has never managed to average near 40mpg in the 30,000 miles he has had it. He claims that his previous Range Rover Sport V6 was within a whisker of the Evoque when it came to fuel economy. No significant difference, which I still find hard to swallow.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL

Not a speeder nor am I slow. On my recent Scotland trip, slapped CC on 70mph and the MPG was reading about 59.

On the way back, which was obviously more downhill than up, the MPG shot up using the same speed (but without CC) to over 68 when the journey ended.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @Quacker, are you by chance using supermarket diesel? That in my mind would explain the disparity with your results. I drive petrol, but the difference between supermarket fuel and decent BP/Shell premium can be as much as 4-6mpg for me (and that's around 15-20% of my total). Travelling at around 55-60mph I can comfortably tip over the 40mpg mark in my 2.4 petrol :Unknown:

15. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My fuel is bought in bulk and recently it has been sourced from UK Fuels, and they get it from the Milford Haven refinery, although this might be closing down imminently. Otherwise is comes from the Stanlow refinery at Ellesmere Port, formerly owned by Shell but now Essar Energy. This supplies Shell stations over a good section of the UK as well as supermarkets………… yes, it all comes from the same tanks at the refinery.

The difference is the additive package they add when filling the tankers. Shell, for instance, add about five litres of their own additive to every 30,000 litres of fuel.
    I sometimes add additive to my own tanks but currently the Derv tanks are as delivered. I don't buy fuel from unknown sources and try to avoid commercial stations [because one never knows when they had their last delivery, which tends to stir up the sediment at the bottom].

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I understand the supply chain and additives my friend, was just covering the bases. Given the age of the car and the motorway mileage you must be covering, I would most definitely be expecting far higher economy. Maybe that's just because we've all seen what @TheDarkKnight can do with a tankful :Smile:

17. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good. Now every other reader can understand it too.
    The official combined fuel consumption is under 49mpg, so my figures sound about right, albeit a few MPG lower, probably due to the hilly roads around here combined with higher than average speed. The 'extra urban' official figure is 53.3 and I would normally not expect any driver to exceed that figure in a driving period of a tankful or a few tankfuls, however careful they drive. There are obviously exceptions to the 'normal'.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

:Smile:

Well as I mentioned, I guess after seeing some of the results from members like TDK trying to stretch their economy as far as they can - I have quite high expectations from the diesel engines in general. Incidentally my figure has consistently been 31mpg for the past 6 weeks with mixed driving and that's right on the official combined MPG figure, if I'm just pottering around town it's 27mpg, and the average on the motorways tends to be around 37mpg. Official figures are 22.2mpg urban and 40.9mpg extra urban. From other threads it's been found that Honda appear to be a lot closer to their stated MPG than other manufacturers.

19. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Further update.
    Since yesterday morning I have driven nearly 650 miles. Half of this at 49.5 MPG and the return journey at just over 48mpg. Average speed 53mph. Well over 400 miles were on dual carriageways and motorways, namely the M54, M6 and about 240 miles on the A14 alone.
    Very satisfied and the DPF software update has obviously made a substantial positive impact. I would not have expected more than 44mpg beforehand.

On another tack, I have ordered a full set of new tyres for the car. Will fit around the middle of next week, by which time the car should have covered 27500 miles or so. The front will still be legal and the rears a bit better. I'll keep the rear pair as spares in case I need a part-worn tyre in the future.

I did put a few litres, about 20 I think, in the tank at a BP station today in order to get home without worry. Very expensive on the side of the A14. Also had a delivery of 1500 litres at home today that works out 129.6p per litre.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm up and down the A14 all the time, it's definitely somewhere I try and avoid for petrol. The BP near the Kettering Retail Park has had a few periods of insanely inflated prices over the years, I can remember it hitting £1.55 for BP Ultimate at one point.