Backup Car 2nd Accord

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by Superman001, Wednesday 7th Jan, 2015

1. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Superman001 added a new Honda to the garage:

2nd Accord

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not done many miles since Wednesday as I have been on leave at home this week.
    I have checked the car over as best I can in this weather and feel confident enough to do the 500 mile drive back to work from Paisley to Plymouth tomorrow.
    I'll be gone a few weeks and don't fancy leaving the new car incase the battery goes flat or something like that, the 6th Generation always seems to start even after a few weeks of no use so that should be ok at home.
    First impressions after about 40 miles mixed driving is the 7th Generation is quite a bit more refined than the 6th Generation despite the fact its on 17's as opposed to 16's and road noise/tyre noise is less evident. The road holding in this wet weather is pretty good possibly down to the 225mm cross section tyres as opposed to 205's and the car seems to corner flatter with a little less body roll.
    Its feels a fair bit bigger to drive despite weighing almost exactly the same mainly as its more refined but feels just as agile and the road manners in slow speed traffic are just as good.
    The car feels a little faster than the 1.8 6th Generation due around 13bhp per tonne more. It also feels keener to rev, this maybe down to the K20A6 being a twin cam rather than single but also felt my old F22Z2 in the 5th Generation was keener to rev than the F18B2. The 5 speed box is a joy to use and has a slightly shorter throw than that of the 6th Generation and feels a little more precise, not sure if this has anything to do with my 6th Generation having 125k on the original clutch. The overall interior is much nicer but thats to be expected really as the 6th Generation Sport was quite spartan and comes without climate control, electric rear windows and cruise control. The part leather seats despite not being electric are very accommodating with lumbar support and plenty of adjustment. The boot is not quite as impressive as the 6th Generation mainly as its a saloon as opposed to the 6th gens hatchback but as im a single guy without kids it really doesn't matter to me.
    So overall I think the 7th Generation Accord is a worthy successor to the 6th Generation with major improvements to refinement and interior quality and seems like its going to be just as enjoyable to own as my trusty old 6th Generation :Smile:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Owning 2 and haven driven quite a few 7th Gens, I must say having just brought a 6th Generation Type-R there's several things I prefer relating to handling. I too agree with the flatter cornering and feeling a little more precise and "connected" - then again I'm talking about a lowered Type-R.

I've always preferred older style dash clusters, they don't need to be attention grabbing. I like the general more rugged feel of the 6th Generation, the heavier steering and more simplistic design principles. That said, the 7th Generation is definitely the better all-rounder and you can see the improvements throughout, the pedal travel is one thing I'm not so keen on with the 6th Generation.

I feel the 7th Generation for me is the best overall balance, the 8th Generation is way more comfortable and refined (a better daily driver), but you again feel even less "with" the driving experience, but I suppose that's mostly the electronic power steering.

4. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes im glad the 7th Generation sport has hydraulic power steering rather than EPS, it has better feeling through the wheel than my 2 previous EP3's. I've not driven the 8th Generation but I imagine as well as being more refined it probably won't be as agile due to the 100kg extra weight.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You're pretty spot on there as far as I'm concerned, though I've only driven an 8th Generation for 15 minutes or so!

Superman001 likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A good driver adapts his driving on feel not what gear is installed on his car. :Whistle:

Superman001 likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I agree mofo, but everyone has their preferences on that gear itself :Hey:

Superman001 likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But you guys sound as if these prefrences are stopping you to be better drivers. You make the most with inferior gear then you will learn. You don't go play golf with graphite clubs you start on steel clubs.

9. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Golf is extreamly boring :Laughing:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Nah, I just like 90s cars a lot :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    LOL just point mate,
    - - - Updated - - -
    :telloff: badge lovers , get your car all tarted up with NOS stickers it will give you that extra ponies you need , not to mention LED's on the floor pans for that Fast and furious street cred :lawbreaker:

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I just think it was the dream period for Japanese performance cars is all, from the EK9/DC2, to the Supra, Skyline, Evo and all the rest. There's just something about cars from that period which has been lacking since ...and no, not just the ricer stickers and NOS obsession :Laughing:

13. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the late 80's and through the 90's was an awesome era for Japanese engineering :Thumbup:

14. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Took the CL7 into Automek today to get the geometry checked out so thats one less thing to worry about.
    Whilst the car was on the ramp I noticed a nail in one of the rear tyres and as they are not Pirelli's like the fronts I took the opportunity to order 2 new Uniroyal Rainsport 3's to be fitted tomorrow.
    al_zpsyct7j1fb.

Also had a new panel filter delivered today :Smile:
    kampn_zpsxcsz3elm.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

How come you've chosen to mix tyre brands between the axles mate?

16. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't, I only bought the CL7 about 6 weeks ago and it has practically brand new Pirelli's on the front and nearly new mismatched budgets on the rear.
    As one of the budgets has a nail in it im replacing the 2 rear tyres.

I might have them put the Pirelli's on the rear and the new Rainsports on the front.