General 2nd Battery & Split Charge Relay (Caravaner's help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyB1976, Wednesday 2nd Apr, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi

If you tow a caravan or drive a motorhome then you probably can recommend kits to do this so any advice appreciated. Or if you have advice on methods of securing another battery, most likely boxed in the boot, say hello ;-)

This is a wee project I have been thinking about installing in the car or older CR-V if I ever get round to buying one. When I am not tinkering about with DIY then my pastimes usually involve drives to the highlands maybe with a tent, SLR, mountain bike etc so having the option of a 2nd (leisure) battery available to power cool boxes and charge batteries would be great.

The basic system works by a voltage sensing relay allowing the 2nd battery to charge when it see's around 13v and it will isolate the car battery so it can't drain when its below that.

So anyone who has done this, let me know if its worthwhile!

Cheers:Hey:

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    If you have a 12volt socket in your boot you don't need a split charge relay. The socket in my 4th Generation CR-V is ignition controlled so there is no power when the ignition is turned off. Thus, you can't drain the car's battery. You could probably use a suitably sized plastic container as a battery box. Just make sure that you wire the 12volt plug with the correct polarity.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Cheers Robert....

I don't have one in my boot. Its something I'll look at doing, and knock together a wee battery box to keep it safe and tidy :Niceone: