Off-Topic 30mph speed limits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Friday 20th Jun, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Is it just me, but recently (and in different parts of the country, South and North) when obeying 30 and 40 mph speed limits, I have felt like I am the one doing something wrong. It does seem to have got much worse in the past year or so.

In recent weeks, I have been overtaken a couple of times (once on a blind bend, approaching a single track bridge where there are often accidents :Aghast:) when sticking to the limit in a 30mph area. It drives me crazy that these idiots never seem to get caught...:Rant:

Anybody else experience similar?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If they want to overtake then let them. I always go 20 around school areas and constantly get overtaken. At the end of the day its the other drivers decision to overtake and hence taking on a greater risk of hurting somebody.

Though I wouldn't say extra policing or cameras is the best way to combat it - it would just penalise safe drivers doing 33 in a 30 more proportionally than the odd bad egg going 45. In an ideal world the overtakers would have a near miss which would discipline them in the future but obviously that's not going to happen every time. Best thing to do is just do whatever you feel is sensible (hopefully within the speed limit).

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I frequently have the same problem @FirstHonda.
    I'm very conscious of driving within the speed limits. They are there for good reasons.
    Many people are just too impatient and behave as if the limit doesn't apply to them.

It is unlikely that they will get caught in the 30/40 zones.
    However, on the motorways the boys (& girls) in blue are waiting for them. :Devil:

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I see that on daily basis and my work mate is one of the worst offenders.
    He will overtake anything anywhere if he can and speed all the time.He just can't help himself.
    Me on the other hand have all the time in the world and drive my mate crazy with my driving.
    At least he always have a good snooze when I am driving lol.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You both get there safely when you're driving !

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And very late especially if we are going to work and not home ha ha.

Nels likes this.
  7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Every single day.

I am almost religiously fanatical about sticking to 30, 40 and 50mph limits, they are the ones that make you an easy target for the revenue making guns. The issue we have is that the dithering old fool that overtakes you in the 30's here then proceeds up the national speed limit roads at 42mph having not accelerated any more than what they were doing through the 30.

These people need to be removed from the roads and their license burnt infront of them at the side of the road whilst the police arrange for the car to be taken to the local auction.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm glad it isn't just me, I was starting to get paranoid...

A good few years ago (must be at least 8, probably more) while driving in Central London, we had a "discussion" at some lights with a van driver who had been frustrated that I was obeying a 30mph limit through West Hampstead, first thing in the morning. He told us (he really did, and he really believed it!) that speed limits were a "guide" only...:Aghast:

What worries me about these guys isn't that they will have an accident, it is the innocent parties that they will have an accident with that I'm concerned about.

I guess part of the issue is the perception among some drivers (correct in some cases I assume, but not in others) that limits are put in place to raise revenue through camera enforcement. More education and explanation of the "why" (accident rates etc.) might help, but then you've still got to get people to read it and listen. As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead...:Tumbleweed:

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Accidents are not nor ever will/can be caused by speed.

Speed is only ever a contributing factor. I know people who are safer on our roads well into 3 figures than other people I know who I wouldn't let walk down the path with a wheel barrow, never mind get in a car.

But due care and attention, dangerous driving, etc do not raise revenue in a quick and easy fashion. So speed is the target for the authorities because it is easy, NOT because it is dangerous.

There is a very fine line between driving fast and safe and driving fast and dangerously and that line is not a constant across the wide variety of drivers on our roads.

So the way I see it is stick to the limit where you are likely to get caught. 30, 40, 50 mph and short overtaking lanes.

The motorways here are fairly free of police and 85mph is fairly normal speed to travel at. The backroads however are a free for all providing you remain aware of what potential dangers are around the corner. I personally always like to think I have a way out. Normally the most destructive way for personal property, but the least destructive for other people and their property. In short, 10/10 time I will pick the hedge instead of a big locked up braking session resulting in a head on collision. But that's down to pre meditating every corner.

10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry guys, I'm going to get slapped for this.....It gets up my bottom when some idiot is doing 25 in a 30 and ends up pulling a bloody long train behind him on roads that could easily be designated 40. This happens mostly in off peak times with no hazards in sight and in a speed limit which which was designated 50 or more years ago. Everyone wants to make progress but there is always some holier than thou d**k who wants to dictate the speed of the traffic just to make himself feel good. I've got to say I always blame the car behind him for not taking the initiative and over take. Have we forgotten how to over take in this country now???:Devil:

PeteMM likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I understand what you're saying, and clearly, driver ability and vehicle/condition are major factors in accidents.
    IMHO, many of these regulations etc are set , based on 'the weakest link'. i.e. the less able drivers !
    However, others are based on sound facts.
    Children still run out onto the roads. Adults, especially when concentrating on something else, e.g. mobiles, still cross the road without looking.
    The dash cam footage, just on HK shows that there are plenty of 'less able' drivers. Slower speeds give you, and them a better chance of preventing an accident.

I would love to drive faster, but the consequences for all concerned are just not worth it.

As well as my comments above:
    Please spend a few days with the emergency services.
    Help them clear up the mess after a fatal RTA and then be the one that informs the next of kin that their loved one is no more.
    I guarantee it will change your way of thinking, as you will then become the, 'holier than thou d**k'.

That may sound harsh, but like it or not, the speed limits are there for a reason and we must all conform.

PeteMM and FirstHonda like this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Totally agree. Spoke with a police traffic officer once (not in the back of his patrol car!) and he spoke about inappropriate speed causing accidents. He also referred to some drivers as "never had an accident, but caused plenty."

However, I don't consider myself to be in a position to second guess why a particular limit is in place, so I try to stick to it. It's a tricky road to go down, that where individuals decide which laws they should stick to, and which they can ignore...

13. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Nels..........
    Fair comment, but my point is that some drivers have forgotton to use common sense. You're driving along an unbuilt rea, massive vision in front and crawling along waiting for someone to jump out in front of you. What's that all about? A lot of the speed limits we drive in have not been altered for donkeys years. In their day it was probably fair enough considering the type of vehicles that were around then. I.E. tin cans that had very little braking and iffy steering.
    In my opinion, there are plenty of places to stick to the speed limits and plenty of places to use common sense.
    This is one of the reasons I love motorcycles, just filter (safely that is) and get past these holier than thou d**ks.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I did an advanced driving course a few weeks ago, with a couple of assessed drives and tutorials, run by an ex-police driver**. It changed the way I think about driving, speed limits, and the effect of speed. It also changed the way I view other drivers and how they are driving.

I'd recommend it to all if you ever get a chance.

EDIT: **He really liked my Accord BTW, hadn't been in one before!

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@steve4536 I agree that as review of the speed limits is well overdue. Why are similar urban dual carriageways 30, 40 or 50 ?
    One over my way, was 40mph for years. A bypass was built and now it's 30mph. :Unknown:
    Never-the-less, we still have to conform.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I think this is the point. I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure that the "I was using common sense" or "the limits are out of date" wouldn't go down well in court...actually, it would probably go something like this...:Rolf:

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sheldon at his best ! :Rolf:

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Has anyone noticed why it inevitably seems to be a "Richard Cranium" (that's the polite form so that I could post what I actually thought on here :lol:) in a German car as well? Now there are some nice, polite, courteous German car drivers out there but few and far between seemingly.

In the last couple of days, other examples (apart from trying to force you over the speed limit of which I experience regularly) I've seen:

1) Old S class barge its way down the inside lane at a roundabout, shove across the chevrons to go straight on because he though he was too important to wait his turn in the queue with "us plebs" probably. This tool nearly caused an accident because you would not expect a vehicle approaching from behind in the angle he did.
    2) Audi driver nearly cause an accident by undertaking and then cutting up the vehicle he under took because there was no room at all for him to make his dangerous and illegal manoeuvre.
    3) A "Richard Cranium" in a Touran nearly crash into the back of me this evening because I was following behind 2 cyclists at a blind bend and my brake lights were clearly visible from way back as were the cyclists. This TO55 ERR wanted me to shove round them, straddling the double white lines on this blind bend where blatantly any vehicle coming the other way would be a direct hit (worse if they cut the corner slightly as lots of people do)

I'll say again that not all German car drivers are like this but there is a clan of them that certainly are and give the rest a bad name...... wonder if it is the result of reliability, quality and engineering inferiority? :Rolf:

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

20. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm doing 30mph by the time I'm pulling out of my driveway.

Get a grip.......

Ichiban and steve4536 like this.