Off-Topic 36,000 miles BMW M3 - Check Engine :D

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Monday 16th May, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    http://oppositelock.kinja.com/carmax-warranty-for-the-m3-saved-my-wallet-1776735614

This is mostly about CarMax warranty but I am just amazed at this 'German Engineered' masterpiece.

"BMW determined that the problem was a broken valve spring on cylinder number 6 and informed CarMax that it would be over 30 hours of labor to fix the issue.......Turns out that BMW likes to drop engines from vehicles in order to repair many issues. This of course costs more and CarMax wanted it to be done with the engine in the car but CarMax caved-in and approved all work BMW needed to do."

for a grand total of damage was $6,444.80.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    And they still maintain how reliable BMW's are....

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    30 hours?!!!

I wonder how the car has been driven though?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I overheard a couple of people talking about changing an air filter on a BMW 320D, I thought I'd heard them say it's a several hour job.
    So I wanted to see if I had heard them right, so I've just Googled it and low and behold it IS a rather long drawn out affair .. see for yourselves How To - Replace 330d Air Filter
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've just noticed that the guy who wrote that DIY guide, concludes by saying :-

To whoever designed the 330d airbox/filter setup, I'd like to kick your ass.

Errr it was BMW !!! :lol:

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Good lord!!! My clutch bleed looks like a doddle infront of this engine dismantling just to change a simple service item.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @legend-ary - most Japanese cars are quite easy to work on. German marques tend to over complicate stuff and I have no idea why

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Gives the perception it's well engineered when in fact it's not :Tongue:

Last edited: Monday 16th May, 2016
    Nighthawk likes this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the timing chain is at the back also, pretty daft. There's a lot squeezed into the engine bay with the 330d which is why I'm glad I'll never need to touch it!

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

To allow the dealers to fleece the fleets and company car users who are pretty much the only owners when new.

Pity the poor bas**rds who own them when they are a few years old. No mistake that you don't see that many older German cars on the road...not just that they aren't long term reliable, but that they cost so much to maintain and put right when they go wrong at a few years old that most are scrapped.

Shame...:Happy: