Body, Paint & Styling 3rd Brake Light Sticker

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 6th Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I remember seeing something similar on @MickyB 's car at the meet up in York a few months ago, and liked the idea. Trawling eBay (as you do during office hours), I found this on eBay, and had to order one.

To be honest, the pictures don't really 'sell' the sticker very well, but having seen a similar thing on @MickyB 's car, I thought I'd give it a go.

Dunno how people feel about these (some may think they look too cheesy), but maybe we could get some made up for HK (something different you don't see every day)?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure what to think, let's see how it looks on your car :Grin:

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The oned i ordered arrive, but it was too big for my brake light, so only part of the S showed. It woulda looked good if it had fit properly though, especially with the rest of the 3rd brake light blacked out.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah shame ! Was it meant for your car ? Or is it a design issue ?

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

It wasn't meant specifically for my car. It was just a generic transparent Type-S logo, with black surround. The 'S' did look a little too big in comparison to the 'Type', so it probably was just a design issue.

I was thinking that if I found some thicker, wider black insulation tape, I could probably make my own design somehow, and then cut it to the exact shape. Or maybe someone with a 3D printer could make me a black cutout with the Type-S logo cut into it, that I could stick over my 3rd brake light.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I really like the principle, but need more convincing yet.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the logo did look, with the light only coming through the transparent part of the logo. If the S hadn't been too big, I would definitely have kept it, as it looked really good. If I do decide to make one up, I'll take the brake light off the car, so I can measure it up perfectly. I struggled to get it off to put on the sticker above (didn't get it off in the end), due to what i took to be some weird clip holding it in place (crap lighting also a factor).

8. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    If you can trace the shape or let me know the height and length (as you could trim it yourself) I can make you one out of black sign vinyl (like those advertised)

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That's mighty decent of you @Davej5 . I'll get some measurements to you as soon as I can

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Davej5 - I took some measurements, and 20.5cm x 2.5cm should give me just a smidgeon of overlap for me to trim off and ensure a snug fit.

11. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Ok how much border due you want around it?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also do you want to stick it on the inside or outside of the glass?

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Border of about 3 to 4 millimetres should be fine. I'd stick it on the actual brake light.

13. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    OK I have not found a good pic of the logo but here is what I have so far, I was not sure if you wanted the chevrons but they fill the area better.

Attached Files:

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Looks good :Smile: I think keep the chevrons in there

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Davej5 made up a sticker for me matched more to the dimensions of my 3rd brake light. I received it today (like an idiot, I forgot to take a picture of it before rushing off to install it).

I still struggled to get the brake light removed (but after checking a manual, I now know :Smile:, so cut the sticker to size and stuck it on with the brake light still on the car. Now to find someone to hold my brake pedal down so I can see how it looks and take a picture.
    - - - Updated - - -
    In fact, I think that I might even look into getting a spare 3rd brake light from ebay, and get a HK sticker stuck on it, and then I can swap them around for meets :Smile:

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just ordered a spare 3rd brake light assembly (£14 - not too bad).

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

60862_IMG_20150214_150219.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That looks pretty good :Smile:

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So latest on this is that I am going to get some exact measurements of the brake light (which I really should have done in the first place), and get the sticker recut, to match these dimensions properly, hopefully meaning no cutting required.

And this will be going on my 'spare' brake light -
    62058_HONDAKARMA_brake_light.

:Smile:

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

How does the lettering fair against Honda's copyright?