Engine & Gearbox 3rd Generation CR-V EGR Valve

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 20th Sep, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    So, I had a go at cleaning my EGR Valve but there were two nuts (one in particular) that I wasn't too sure about how to get to. There's also the concern that I'm dealing with cast stuff here and there's always a chance that something could shear. Ideally I'd be working with it all nice and hot after a drive but if I'm shoving my hands in tight spaces then it would have to be a cooler engine (more risk of shearing).

Here's a photo with some annotations. There is literally no access to the underside nut nearest the bulkhead (out of view and marked with one of the red arrows) from the top. Even from the bottom it looks unlikely, possibly a long extension bar or combination of such.

Has anyone ever done the EGR valve on the CR-V or have any ideas/knowledge on this? I'd like to avoid stripping out other components.

EGR%20Valve%20Problem.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've never worked on a Honda diesel engine but looking at that I just wondering if the job would be made easier if you removed the radiator out of the car ?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I had a closer look today whilst I had the under tray off and I really can't see how you can access it from underneath, but I did spot a small gap just under the top bumper cover (where EGR Valve is written) and the bolts - I think I may just be able to get my ratchet ring spanner in there. My fear is something shearing so I'll order up some spare bolts and nut probably and also soak the current ones for a good while. Common sense is telling me to just leave it but my gut is telling me this bad boy is clogged.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's one of those things where you won't know until you can take it off.
    I did mine earlier this year and am pleased to say all was well.
    Fingers crossed for you.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you notice any difference after cleaning the EGR @Nels I'm wondering if it's worth doing mine with the mileage I have on.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Marginal if anything. Mine only had a light coating of dry soot. If it was wet/oily then there may have been a bigger gain. However, you don't know until you look.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm thinking the guy before me did a lot of short runs so could be worth it for me to check.

8. Torres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Torres Belfast
    Hi arcticfire did you ever get around to cleaning your EGR valve? I'm having the same problem trying to get mine out to clean.
    Thanks

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye but you have to take the whole pipe work out. It's quite tricky but worth it.

10. Blackpool1974 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
  11. Torres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Torres Belfast
    Looks a bit tricky for me to do.I am thinking of maybe blanking it off.Are there any advantages or disadvantages doing this to the engine?
    Thanks.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure but could it increase emissions? Thinking MOT time. Also could throw up a MIL light. Not sure how you'd blank it without removing?

From memory there are two underside bolts which are tricky the rest should be fine.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The ECU will sense the lack of EGR flow, put on the engine warning light, and the system will go into 'limp' mode... You need to have minor changes made to the ECU software ('map') to inhibit this situation.

Preventing the flow of EGR will also cause your exhaust emissions to contain a greater level of mixed nitrous oxides (NOx) which is a deep lung irritant and so is therefore a local pollution hazard.

14. dkarolj Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Croatia Davor Kutina