General 3rd Generation i-CDTi - Video Request

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 1st Sep, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would someone with the 3rd Generation I-CTDI (not I-DTEC) be able to take a quick video of their engine revving when warm please? Ideally with bonnet down and from the driver's seat with the window down and a wall nearby or something to bounce the noise back to the camera.

2. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Only had mine a week but I'll see what I can do! Are you interested in the rise and fall of the revs or how it holds them? Mines a 57 plate with 38k miles if it makes any difference.
    Nick

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That would be great cheers, the rise and fall is what I need and with a warm engine please. I'm hoping the Wynn's Hydraulic Lift fluid has sorted it, before the tapping was quit loud, pronounced (almost as if isolated) and relatively slow but now it's much quieter and the subtle ticking if very fast. This is making think I had one or a few lifters sticking and now they've been freed then quiet ticking I'm hearing is just normal. But as I'm not familiar with these diesels a video would really be appreciated. Cheers!

4. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Sorry for the delay, managed to get myself a puncture today so didn't get chance. I'll see what I can do tomorrow for you buddy.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Appreciated cheers

6. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Here you go buddy. Parked up by a wall. Ran it up to various RPM for you as not totally sure what you are listening for! Hope you can hear what you need.

For reference, it's a late 07 vehicle with 39k on the clock and in need of an oil change!

Chunkylover53 and AccordCU2 like this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's perfect thanks, mine sounds pretty much the same since the lifter juice has been in. It was the fast tempo tapping you get when accelerating I wasn't 100% sure of, I think it could be because the Honda diesels are quieter or perhaps designed differently to other diesels that you can hear it. With other manufacturers I just hear the diesel clatter usually.

Cheers for that, puts my mind at rest. I'll perhaps film mine also and do a like for like comparison to make sure in case my memory sucks lol

8. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Glad it helped control the paranoia! I'm still getting used to how quiet and confident it is cruising, and how van-like it is when idling.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Have you ever driven a 2005 Mondeo diesel? Chug chug chug... It's awful!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Haha, owned 4 Mondys over the years, but all petrol.

Sorry to read about your 'Honda Approved' woes - I had a similar trauma with Skoda before we got a refund and bought the CR-V.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm hoping if they get this last bit fixed then all will be well. At least it's only been over the course of a few weeks and to be fair they've never argued against booking the car back in within a weeks time frame.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's mine, sound ok?

13. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    I'm no expert but it sounds less clattery than mine! Having a service on Friday so that might make a difference. I haven't seen 35.5mpg either!

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm up at 37.2mpg now although that does include a few short motorway trips! lol I have just done a full oil change (including a flush) so that's probably helped :Smile:

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've seen 37mpg and beyond in my K24 :Laughing:

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The K24 is surprisingly fuel efficient considering it's a 2.4 but then it is lighter and an awesome engine. My dad is getting about 34 at the moment but that's an average mix, there's no way he'd get above that with about 90% urban and very short trips many of which are less than a few miles. I better make sure I feed in a bit of a mix though and let the engine get a good blast now and then.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah for sure mate, if you're pottering around town than that's a fair MPG I guess. We all know you can get to high 50s on the I-CTDI on long journeys.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've yet to break the 40 barrier but an upcoming trip may give me a chance to see what she can do, although I prefer to drive to my enjoyment and comfort such as climate control on etc than worry about MPG too much as I know I'll end up becoming obsessed with it! lol It's economical enough, that's the main thing for me :Smile: Have to admit, considering the Accord's official combined MPG is 31mpg it's pretty impressive that it's so easily beaten. Are you running 0W20?

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I too don't fret about MPG, though lately I'm chucking in £80 a week so it might become a concern at some point.

I am running 0w-20, Mobil 1 AFE - though given my modification path I'm not sure whether I'm sticking on it for the next oil change. Worth noting 37mpg is what I get when I'm having periods of running around between Liverpool and Northants with the bits of urban driving between, my actual combined mileage tends to work towards bang on 31mpg - worth noting I can be one of the most insanely heavy footed drivers :Laughing: I know I could get quite high economy out of her if I actually tried.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    How many miles do you get to a tank with regular diving?