Body, Paint & Styling 3rd Generation leaking boot

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by dradd, Monday 25th Aug, 2014.

1. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith
    Hi all,

I own a 2007 EX model. I got it second hand and have had it for a few months now.

I have a problem with water leaking into the tyre well. It's coming in from the rear under the plastic panel about 2 inches under the boot catch. The water appears to be coming in along the bodywork seam.

Together with a friend we have found various areas behind the rear light clusters where the water could come in, and have sealed these areas up. And yet still, after a long deluge of rain, water finds it's way in. Brief showers, or even hosing the car down to wash it does not cause a problem.

Honda UK seem to have no knowledge of this problem, and yet globally it does exist. This forum link details the problem: Water in spare tire well!! - Page 2

Given the water comes in via the body box sections, simply sealing up the holes where it enters the boot does not seem to be a good option as the water will still be collecting in the bodywork.

Has anyone else here had this problem? I would really love to know how to fix it.

Any help or pointers welcome.
    Many thanks. :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wow ! That sounds quite bad. I don't have any knowledge of this problem. @Ichiban any TSBs or such like on this issue ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well Swindon in the past have forgotten seam sealing on Jazz and Civic in the boot area it's well documented , won't be surprised if there is a TSB for a CR-V.

@dradd I need your chassis code please

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup as expected found the TSB twill post more info tomorrow , it basically water gather around the lower lip of the tailgate garnish and then it drips from the tailgate as the owners open it.

5. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith
    That sounds interesting, although not sure that's the cause in this instance as water collects when the tailgate is closed... but I'd be happy to read anything that might shed some light on the issue. :Smile:

It's worth noting the water runs in under any carpet/boot lining (so no carpet is wet), and just collects in the tyre well.

Do you still need my chassis code?

Many thanks.

6. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith
    Sorry, noob question: what's a TSB?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will upload the TSB in a bit mate its on my list naah don't need the chassis code fella.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    just hover your mouse over the underlined TSB :Wink:

9. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith
    Oh yes. Sorry, was using an iPad so no 'hover'. Signed into PC now and all good. Cheers.
    I must say this forum really seems to be on the case and well put together. :Grin:

Nels likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries we need to fix that flaw on ipads ..on our lists

11. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith
    Thanks for uploading the TSB on the dripping tailgate. Sadly that's not my issue as I get water inside the car that seems to be leaking in from inside the body panels. :Frown:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    try to get the bumper off and have look. has you car had a rear end shunt which has been repaired?

13. dradd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keith