Electrical & Lights 3rd Generation rear light problem

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Sunday 3rd Jul, 2016.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Having had to replace my offside rear light cluster due to a stone entering the cluster and letting in water I was checking the lamps and found the bottom connector faulty ( the contact had broken). To get over the problem I managed to get hold of a similar socket from an automotive part supplier ( it was a Sunday). I snipped off the faulty one and wired in the replacement and all seemed OK.
    On checking the light I then noted that when I turn on the RH indicator ( or hazard lights) the reversing lamps also lights dimly. If I remove the right hand indicator bulb the fault disappears. Replacing the bulb reinstates the problem. Normally this would indicate an earthing problem. Please note This is not the lampholder I replaced. Any ideas anyone?

2. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    It sounds like the earth as you mentioned.

Run a temp one from something metal to the earth on the lamp and see what happens.

Also check for continuity between the earth on lamp and earth.

3. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

- - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for your response, I have decided to replace the part of the loom that was damaged due to the ingress of water ( compliments of Gareth at Holdcroft).
    Has anyone ever replaced the right hand side rear light loom and if so did you have to remove the inner trim panels to access the connector or did you get access by removing the wiring loom bung and pull the connector through the hole. Any pictures / diagrams or guides would be welcome.

4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Gareth at Holdcroft to the rescue again, supplying the required lighting loom. I was hoping that I could pull the connector which goes into the main loom through the body to change it but alas this is not possible as it is clipped into the body structure.
    I set about investigating how to get to the connector which is hidden in the void behind the rear offside interior panelling. I had to remove the plastic panel which runs along the boot lip before starting to carefully unclip the side panel. I managed to pull it back sufficient to get my arm into the void to disconnect the original lighting loom. Unplugging it was a little difficult and I have the scars on my arm to prove it.
    Once the loom was replaced my problem thankfully disappeared. Replacement of the trim was much easier than removing it!
    Again many thanks to Holdcroft for superb service.

legend-ary likes this.