General 3rd or 4th Generation CR-V?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FR-V, Friday 25th Dec, 2015.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Hi guys, my much loved faithful 2.2 FR-V Sport is 10 next year and has covered 62k. I am now considering a change to a diesel CR-V and don't know whether to go for pre facelift 2011/12 EX 2.2 or push the boat out and try for a newer model 2.2 at lower grade, but need cruise and like leather on the steering wheel.
    Does the I-DTEC engine have a stronger clutch than my I-CTDI? No probs so far but always a worry towing.
    I have about 10 - 12 k plus the FR-V to spend and want a car with 35k max and will be buying at the end of Feb.
    Advice needed please.

Cheers, Pete C.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@FR-V

From what I've read on here the I-DTEC is a better choice than the older I-CTDI as Honda had evolved the technology, as you'd expect.

First question I'd ask though, is whether you really do enough miles for a diesel, as the 2.0 litre petrol is a good choice if you don't, and you won't have potential issues with the DPF.

From my experience, the 4th Generation is a good car but lacking in a bit of soul. The interior is better quality, too, although I don't think there is that much in it.

Personally, in your position I'd go for the newest and lowest mileage example I could get, and worry less about spec, as even the lower spec models have everything you'll realistically need.

A couple of examples of what is out there...if you wanted to go 4th Generation.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e/featured-listing/dealer-id/2445480/usedcars

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...new,new&model=CR-V&price-from=12000&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ice-to=16000&make=honda&radius=1500&logcode=p

:goodluck:

3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks First Honda, I do about 13k a year with about half with a caravan attached touring France.
    I have one daughter and family 150 miles to the south and another 165 miles to the north of me, so I guess the DPF will be happy!
    The petrol doesn't cut it for towing and I cannot afford a new 160ps 1.6 I-DTEC, so it is a straight choice of 3rd or 4th Generation 2.2 I-DTEC.

Pete C.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

5. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    And my favoured colour would be white orchid pearl :Niceone:

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ha ha! To be fair it looks good in lots of colours, especially the 'urban titanium' and 'polished metal.'

The best option is to go and look at both generations, then make your choice.

IMHO the third generation is better looking and more interesting, but the 4th Generation is a newer car with the benefits that brings.

Whether it is worth extra money is something only you can decide...

:goodluck:

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks for all your input guys, decision made, car found, deposit paid!:Thumbup:
    Fatty departs for pastures new next month to be replaced by a Dec 2012 (s4) CR-V 2.2 SE in silver. Not my favourite colour (BORING!) but SWMBO likes it, it's a one owner Honda approved from the dealer that supplied it new and has just 24k on the clock.
    I suppose I will have to find a new avatar now:sherlock:

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:congratulations: @FR-V

It's your choice of course, but I think you should keep the one you've got - Goes perfectly with @FR-V.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Excellent news @FR-V

:congratulations:

The CR-V take over of HondaKarma continues apace! :likeit:

You need to get over to the 4th Generation CR-V section now...:gohonda:

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Errrm................aren't I in it?

I suppose it would loose all my history to change my tag from FR-V, so maybe the avatar will stay - unless I can find a photo of the Z600 I had in the 80s.