Engine & Gearbox 4 Wheel Drive System on a CR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by Neil, Friday 4th Oct, 2013.

1. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Is the 4 wheel drive system a proper one?

What I mean by this can it go off road, for example greenlaning?
    I have been looking into getting a 4x4 for 18months now and everyone keeps telling me to get a landrover but I have read so many horror stories about what you need to check on a landrover with rusting chassis, bodywork and all the electrical gremlins that can go wrong I have decided that getting one of those is not such a good idea.
    Plus I like my creature comforts, comfortable seats, air conditioning, electric windows and so on.
    I want reliability and Honda's have this in abundance, Landrovers don't....:lol:

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Which version of the CR-V do you refer to?

I have the latest 4th Generation CR-V and yes it does have a proper 4x4 system. Ask the fields I destroyed in France!

If you want reliability, get the CR-V. If you like to make friends on the M40, M4, M25 and other motorway hard shoulders with AA, Green Flag and RAC recovery men, then get yourself the Landrover - its guaranteed to breakdown as often as you breathe. :Thumbup:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Version? I wouldn't want to trash a nearly new one so I would go for one no newer than 2001.
    I just want to have a play really, plus be able to move around when I get snow without wrecking my Accord.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If I'm correct, then that is about the age of a 2nd Generation CR-V.

They too are part-time 4x4, so saves on fuel no doubt. My uncle and aunt both have 2nd Generation CR-Vs. Both 2.0 petrol - one auto and one manual. They have been off road numerous times and their only gripe has ever been on how long it takes to clean the mud and earth off!

No other issues at all. You won't go wrong with one :Thumbup:

Neil likes this.
  5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    2001 is just at the end of the 1st Generation so if you are going no newer than, then look at the 1st Generation.

There are couple of CR-V forums in the US, you might find a bit more or any issues on them there. :Thumbup:

Neil likes this.
  6. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Since asking about using a CR-V off road I have done some researching and have discovered that this isn't the right vehicle to buy.
    It's not a true 4x4.
    Low ground clearance.
    Aftermarket parts such as sump guard, light bar, snorkel are non existent.
    Admittedly I not after something that will do the Camel Trophy and I don't need it for driving on motorways, just want to go and get dirty. :Smile:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No it not a thoroughbred 4x4 like your landy would be.

8. NYATI Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Daniel Madrid, Spain
    If you need a proper 4x4, check out the Toyota KZJ-95 (125 HP) and the KDJ-95 (163 HP) (called Land Cruiser or Prado). Good clearance, 4x4 gearbox, great performance and reliable. Easy to find a 125 HP version cheap and the 163 HP. is perfect (1997-2002). Good luck

Neil likes this.