Off-Topic 40-60mph

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 10th Mar, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Did a test run today in the SAAB 9-3 and it did 40-60mph in 2.1s. Couldn't get enough traction for a decent 0-60mph time though.

Not bad for a £3k car! Love SAABs.

John Dickson likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Shame Saab could not live up wit the time and they went bust! When GM bought them all the drivetrain was nothing but a posh Vauxhall.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Agree that GM was the downfall of them, although I believe the Saab engineers still defied GM suits and did their own tweaks and upgrades. The interior though is a serious let down and didn't justify the premium price tags of new SAABs.

This one though is the 2.8 which was developed by Holden in Australia and although it's still GM it's more Holden and Saab than vauxhall. Quite heavily tuned also, when that turbo kicks in you grip the steering wheel so hard it starts to bend lol

Problem though is traction, impossibe to keep the rubber down from a standstill. If it were AWD with modern traction control it would easily be a 4 second 0-60mph, possibly even faster. Although my own car is quicker off the mark thanks to traction the Saab is much more exciting to drive!

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've always had a soft spot for SAABs

Shame they went bust you would've thought there was a future for them as a niche maker but I think their reputation of seemingly defying GM wherever possible didn't do them any favours once they got into trouble.

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

When GM handed them the plans for the last Saab they made... they were told to use the chassis from the vectra... by the time they finished designing it... it was longer, wider and would cost millions more to develop and couldn't use a lot of the common parts.

Saab were their own downfall... If they'd have done what they should have, they may have survived.