Engine & Gearbox 46k Clutch slipping!!! :(

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by chockhead, Thursday 10th Jan, 2013.

1. chockhead Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Thank God my 08 Gt Ex is fine! But the girlfriends 08 Gt Ex clutch is slipping like a Banana. Accelerate to 2.5-3k and it slips like buggery. 46k surely not?

Its most annoying and ruins the Accord experience.

1- Is this unusual?
    2- Can it be adjusted?
    3- If not, roughly how much for a new one fitted?
    4 Why us??

Thanx in advance oh great ones!!:Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. chockhead Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been on the phone to Guilder Honda in Sheffield where we bought the car in April. He told me ( off the record) that Honda have had dome problems with clutches on Accords and Civics. As i live down south he told me to get it diagnosed, phone Honda UK and they may make a contribution to it being fixed!

What do ya Recon??

ps Cheers Speedy!!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Your welcome Chokhead :Smile:

I would definately try getting a contribution out of Honda UK.

5. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

wow i tought this problem would have been rectified in the 8th Generation considering the trouble the I-CDTI accord and Civic clutchs gave. but there again german clutchs and flywheels are not made to last.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    no data there to suggest there is a mass scale clutch issue on the I-DTEC accord.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed.

Its all down to how the owners drive the cars and maintain them.

Any car can kill a clutch within hours. To assume there is some Accord fault is nonsensical - especially as second/third -hand Accord owners have no idea how the previous owner used the car.

8. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Clockhead if you purchased the vehicle in April from a honda dealer surely it came with a yrs honda warranty or is the clutch not part of the warranty ?

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Clutch is a dodgy one on any warranty.
    Dealer may say wear and tear or abuse as cause.

10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If the car has full honda service history they may contribute if there is a non wear and tear fault.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And of course, both sides proving the other wrong is very difficult.

12. chockhead Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanx for all the info. Looking into this clutch slip of the girlfriends car i have noticed something! When the car hits about 3.5k the Revs drop to about 2.5 on accleration. i would of thought that a slipping clutch would make it rev more, ie 4 k or more? Therefore could it be something in the management system that has a Glitch and easily rectified or am i talking B%%&*ks!! Cheers

Chock

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Are you sure that is exactely what is happening ?

That sounds more like a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) issue. No check engine light ?

Actually its a diesel isnt it ? Could be fuel pump, fuel filter, or injector issue.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Has the car had all the recall work done?

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    If above is correct, and the clutch is fine: you car should slow down... and quite 'suddenly'. Is this the case?
    If the car does not slow down, than it means your clutch was slipping to 3.5k, finds grip again and thus engine RPM slows down to 2.5k.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could it be a glazed clutch? If so just Google it. There seem to be many techniques but all have the same principle. Dip clutch, bring RPM up, bring clutch up until it starts to bite then dip clutch again. Yad yada yada.. You can do it stationary or on the move. It may be worth a try?

SpeedyGee likes this.