Off-Topic 4k and displayport

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Sunday 28th Dec, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Anyone here use 4k resolution and displayport and clued up on it?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No mate, I was suckered in buying 3D tele and now that gone fad just vanished. So no more upgrade in the tele department unti this new technology matures.

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I'm going to wait, been taken by new technology in the past and paid the cost. Stereo video, yes I paid £650 for the a sony one, years later every video was stereo as standard. Sky HD, for £250 you got the box which was free the following year! First DVD machine, yip I paid £600 for one. The list goes on.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry, I was meaning monitor not TV. No point in TV at the moment but as a monitor it's very handy.

Managed to sort it, I wasn't sure if it was a hardware fault but turns out it was a combination of the graphics card power saving mode being on, motherboard needing to be overclocked and of course surprise, surprise Windows 7 needing some display settings fixed.

There's still the problem that fonts are tiny and if you increase the font size in display settings it throws your mouse accuracy off in some applications. Microsoft at its finest....

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm soon going to be replacing my centre monitor (Dell U3011, 2560x1600) with likely a 5k panel (Dell UP2715K, 5120x2880), I've needed a retina panel on my main work rig for too long.

On a 4k monitor, you're going to doubling the DPI - effectively that gives you a retina (x2) 1080p display with all the scaling looking as it did before, but a lot sharper. You want 200% DPI scaling to sort out your font sizes.

The big issue I have with most 4k monitors at the moment, is that above 24" isn't really suited to 1080p in my humble opinion. The common 4k monitor size of 27" would leave font sizes pretty big (albeit sharper), if you've used a 27/28" 1080p panel in the past you'll know what I mean.

What monitor/size do you have @ArcticFire? DisplayPort 1.2 and up supports 4k, most recent Intel boards have it and play ball with no issues, I believe since the Z77 chipset.

I think my GPU (Nvidia GTX760) only support DP 1.2, I'll need 1.3 to run 5k - so I might have to upgrade, again :Laughing:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was running a 1080p before but as said if you upscale the fonts then in some apps it can throw your mouse accuracy off, it sends it down and to the right.

I upgraded from the 560ti to the same 760 card as you have because I needed displayport, although I wish I went to the 970.

I went with the AOC monitor as I had heard not great things about the Dell ones. My previous monitor was AOC and always liked them.

7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    I was suckered too! I never learn!

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well the displayport signal started to fail again and I had to revert to HDMI, which still allows 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz but if going 3180 x 2160 then it drops to 30Hz. There's a fair amount online about the GTX 760 having displayport issues with fingers being pointed at Nvidia drivers, Windows etc so I've upgraded to the GTX970 Jetstream. First thing I noticed is that this card uses mini Displayport so that's on order but it's also far quieter than the GTX760. Haven't given it a decent test yet but I'm sure it will perform decent enough.

So if anyone is going 4K monitor setup then it's definitely worth looking into what graphics card you are going to use with it.